4th on the 3rd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou Schneider

Site Team
I'm in Silverton, OR on my way back to CA.  I pulled into Silver Spur RV Park last night (July 3) and found the park was hosting a free steak dinner followed by live entertainment on the lawn behind the office/clubhouse.  Thinking the celebration was over at sunset, I went to the laundry room to do about a weeks worth of clothes when there was a flash of light followed by a large BANG outside the laundry room door.

Turns out Silverton lights off their fireworks on the Third - and the fireworks were being set off about a mile due south of the park and were displayed perfectly above the treeline.

The best part was when I went back today to renew for another night, they asked if I had any discount cards like Good Sam or AAA.  I said I had Passport America but I didn't mention it when I checked in because the park was full (I got the next to last space) and I thought P.A. wasn't applicable during holidays.  Not only did they give me the P.A. discount for the second night but they retro-actively applied the lower rate to both nights.  Not that their regular rate of $35 was that expensive, either.  An unexpected pleasure!

If you're looking for a place to stay in northern Oregon, Silver Spur RV Park is worth making the 10 mile detour from I-5.

I find it refreshing to have the  accommodations you were given!  Thanks for sharing this gem of a park. 

But as to Fireworks on the  3rd?  I'm not in favor of it. 

I wonder if fireworks on the 3rd is an aberration caused by the 4th falling on a Wednesday this year?

A lot of workers only get the 4th itself off, and with it being on Wednesday there's no easy way to combine it into a 4 day weekend.  Given that, it's probably better to get the partying and celebrations out of the way the night before, then have the holiday to recuperate than it would be to have the festivities on the evening of the 4th and have to be back at work in the morning.

I wonder if fireworks on the 3rd is an aberration caused by the 4th falling on a Wednesday this year.

Interesting observatin Lou. Cities within an hour drive of us have/had them scheduled for days between Wednesday and Saturday this year.

Here in Fort Bragg they are celebrating the 4th on the 7th. Stupid. The weather here is beautiful tonight and it is suppose to be foggy on Saturday. I have three cameras all set to go and I am praying for no fog.

BTW, Tom - while you're in Ft. Bragg tune your radio to KOZT 95.7 95.3 FM.  I built that station when I was working for Visionary Radio back in 1979.

Here in Milwaukee, WI the city has had the fireworks on the 3rd for many years using the 4th as a rain date.  However, Summerfest is held over this week and they have fireworks every night but the 3rd. All of the surrounding suburbs have their fireworks on the 4th.  All the festivals held on the lakefront every weekend all summer have their own fireworks every night of each festival.  These festivals include Indian Fest, German Fest, Irish Fest, Festa Italiana, and a few other festivals.

Here in Colorado, most places have cancelled their fireworks. Hot and dry and fires burning, just doesn't make sense to be lighting off explosives.

Wendy

We are in the D.C. area just south of the White House, but due to the heat and the crowd we didn't take in the fire works on the mall.  We did go to the local (Dale City) VFW for lunch and was pleasantly surprised to learn that were hosting a cook out with all the trimmings.  Quite a nice celebration after all.

Personal fireworks are illegal in our county but, with no local enforcement, lots of folks held their own shows. We stood on our deck with the kids and grandkids, and watched all the private shows within our viewing angle of 180 degrees.

Lou Schneider said:
BTW, Tom - while you're in Ft. Bragg tune your radio to KOZT 95.7 FM.  I built that station when I was working for Visionary Radio back in 1979.

I will certainly check them out Lou, thanks for the tip!

Silver Spur is one of our favorite campgrounds, we've spent many visits there. The owners are great, good FHUs, PA prices are great with minimal restrictions (one visit was over 3 weeks at PA rates), well located for local sites and brats.

As a kid, our family always "shot off fireworks" on July 3rd.  It was a wonderful time for the family to get together, freeze ice cream, blow up the world and celebrate our nation's birthday.  It was also my mother's birthday which may have had something to do with it. :)

Lou Schneider said:
...but they retro-actively applied the lower rate to both nights.  Not that their regular rate of $35 was that expensive, either.  An unexpected pleasure!

So nice to see this kind of service. Most of the time it's "You must ask for the discount at the time of registration." Once you walk out of the office, you're out of luck.

PA prices are great with minimal restrictions (one visit was over 3 weeks at PA rates)

Silver Spur has weekly and monthly rates also - the weekly rate is about the same as the PA daily rate, with a month you basically get a free week in return for paying for your own electricity.  And the electric rate is only 8 cents a kilowatt/hour - the lowest I've seen anywhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom