Have you repainted your stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elly Dalmaijer

Since there are heat resistant paints around I wonder if anyone on the Forum has repainted their stove?

Elly

Funny you should mention this, Elly.  I'm in the process of reviving my Arctic Fox trailer after it has been in storage for the past couple of years, and during that time the oven door developed a rust streak.

The Fox will remain in storage for another month or two, and during that time I'll repaint the stove using the heat resistant enamels you mentioned.

Lou, I'd love to hear how it turns out and how it holds up when the oven does get hot.  It would be great to turn a gold stovetop into a white one!

Elly

I'm in the middle of some big renovations in my 1994 Winnebago brave it currently has that old tanish stove in it so here in a few days it will be getting a fresh coat of black. I'll be sure to take pics and post about how it holds up

I repainted my stove on the houseboat years ago and it still looks good.  Not only the oven door but also the top beside the burners. It was a rusted chrome finish that I sanded down, primed and painted.  Worked great.

Check around your area for someplace that does powdercoating and inquire about prices.  After removing the top to my Atwood stove (chips and stains in the paint) and stripping it, I found a place 30 minutes away from me that would powdercoat the top for only $25 bucks.  Came back with a factory looking finish.

I guess it depends if your looking for just a touch up or it really needs a new finish.  Oven doors don't get the abuse the stove tops do.  So some prep work and Rustoleum may be all you need.

I did the stove at my mom's house 15 years ago. To this day it still looks good. I told her never to scrub it with abrasives and she hasn't.

I used an epoxy spray paint (rattle can) did several coats and let it dry hard between coats. High temp paint is really not needed.

The high gloss appliance spray paints in a can do a surprisingly good job - I've done a washer and a stove vent hood. But if you have a local powder-coat place (and they are pretty common these days), that's the ticket. It's usually not real expensive but you have to do any needed repairs first.

The oven door belongs to a 1980's built-in oven so it gets pretty hot.

I am going to have another good look at the choice in spray cans. What have I got to lose, right? (Except that awful Harvest Gold....)

Elly

Check to see if you can remove the oven door and do all this painting  outside. It should lift right off if you fiddle with it. Otherwise you need painter's tape and a mountain of newspapers to cover every square inch in the motorhome that you don't want overspray to hit. Besides, painting an oven door laying flat will be 10 times easier than painting it vertically.

Practice on something else doing nice light even coats, nothing heavy. Let it dry some before spraying the next light coat and so on. Once you get the hang of it, prep and paint the stove.

I once lived in a vintage mobile home. It came with PINK stove, pink fridge, and pink double sink.  I decorated around it and became quite fond of the funky color.

Lou, did you get around to spray painting your stove? What brand did you use? How did it turn out?

Elly

I used a cleaner on the stove before i painted it. I just used high gloss spray paint. Two coats. Very happy with the job. After three years I sold the trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom