Need Help ... Towing Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvriggs

I just bought a 03 Sun Voyager 37' and want to tow my wifes RX300 Lexus behind it.  I understand from Lexus that I have to get a tow trailer because it will not tow on the ground.  I have looked at trailers and they seem to cost about 2K... I guess I will have to bite the bullett and get one... However, as I have been reading... I have come up with the following questions:

1.  The Lexus weighs about 5K lbs and with the trailer I am assuming 5K+Lbs.  Will this be over the limit for the tow hitch on the RV? 

2.  I will be traveling through several states...am I going to have to know the law in each state on towing limits?

3.  Is a RV length dependent on the towed vehicle as well?  Or does this question make no sense?

4.  Should I not tow a vehicle....this will be a maiden voyage with family.

Thanks in advance for your help

RVRiggs

rvriggs said:
I just bought a 03 Sun Voyager 37' and want to tow my wifes RX300 Lexus behind it.? I understand from Lexus that I have to get a tow trailer because it will not tow on the ground.? I have looked at trailers and they seem to cost about 2K... I guess I will have to bite the bullett and get one... However, as I have been reading... I have come up with the following questions:

1.? The Lexus weighs about 5K lbs and with the trailer I am assuming 5K+Lbs.? Will this be over the limit for the tow hitch on the RV??

Best to check with the manufacturer on this and have the coach serial number when you call.  Some manufacturers install hitches rated at 5k some 10K and even some less than 5K.  Best to check to be sure.

2.? I will be traveling through several states...am I going to have to know the law in each state on towing limits?

While drivers licenses are covered under reciprocal agreements things like maximum length, brake requirements are not.  You do need to comply with length, weight, and brake requirement for any state you are traveling in.  For your own safety toad or trailer braking is a must.

3.? Is a RV length dependent on the towed vehicle as well?? Or does this question make no sense? 

The total length of the RV and toad, including the hitch, equals the combined length.  I.E. A 40ft motor home plus a 20Ft toad or trailer end to end is a combined length of 60FT

4.? Should I not tow a vehicle....this will be a maiden voyage with family.

No problem towing as long as you are within length, weight limits and properly set up including Auxiliary braking for the toad.  Check with Remco for options towing your vehicle they may have something other than a trailer as an option.

Be sure you can tow that much weight.  The difference between the GCWR and the GVWR is how much you can tow.  Many motorhomes can only tow 4-5000 lbs.

The GVWR sticker on the Lexus says 4950lbs.  Also, is there a website that lets me know the towing weight of each state?  This bring to mind another question?????

1.  Do I need to exit on weigh stations??

Thanks
RVRiggs

Well as I learn more.. I keep thinking of things....

1. Do most people tow on all four or on trailers?

I just called Remco and they quote me $795 + Installation + 3rd Party Breaking System ($1000+).  If I look at this cost it is about the same as buying a flatbed trailer and pulling it. 

What are the pros and cons of either or.  Which is easier?

RVRiggs

rvriggs said:
The GVWR sticker on the Lexus says 4950lbs.? Also, is there a website that lets me know the towing weight of each state?? This bring to mind another question?????

With that weight you need auxiliary toad brakes.? IMHO it would be irresponsible and unsafe to tow that much weight without them.
1.? Do I need to exit on weigh stations??

Since you are non commercial you are not required to stop at weigh stations unless invited to do so.? I have heard of an RV being stopped and directed to pull in at a weigh station by a patrolman.? Of course from what I was told the patrolman followed into the weigh station.

A flatbed trailer will be a hassle to deal with at a campground, assuming there's room to park it.

Depending on what model and year of Sun Voyager you have, it will have a Ford or Workhorse chassis with a 22,000 or 24,000 lb GVWR and a 26,000 or 30,000 lb GCWR.  You need to find out what you have and the appropriate GVWR and GCWR numbers. Then you need to learn the actual weight of the motorhome when loaded for travel.  You can tow the difference between the actual loaded weight and the GCWR, subject to the limitation of the hitch rating.  The standard hitch on a Sun Voyager is a 5000 lb model but the Workhorse W24 (24,000 Lb. GVWR) chassis may be equipped with a 6000 lb hitch.

So your Lexus  exceeds the hitch rating and quite possibly pushes you over the GCWR as well, unless you have a coach with the optional Workhorse W24 chassis underneath.

Most people tow 4-wheels down. It is more convenient all the way around. Easy to hook up and detach and no need to find a place to park the trailer or dolly. Yes, a 4-down set-up is every bit as expensive as buying a car trailer, but its the best way to go.

I notice you said the GVWR on the Lexus is 4950lb

But what is it's towing weight?  I mean, do you pack it like a suitcase, do you carry firewood in the back, are you sitting in it when it's being towed?

I'll bet it's less than 4500 when towed.

Load it up for a trip, head for a public scale and weigh it  WITHOUT PEOPLE

You might be in for a pleasant surprise

However, whatever you do, make sure it has brakes operatable from (or by) the motorhome when it's being towed, either on the trailer it rests on or better yet rest it on it's own wheels and use it's brakes.

Getting your vehicle consist to go is nice, very nice,  Stopping however is mandatory and you WILL stop.  The question is do you stop befor or after you rear end the fully loaded steeler hauler in front of you.

Thank you for all your help!!! I have made my decision......(hmmm)....for our maiden voyage we are going to be going carless.  I thank you for all your input and I will be posting many many many more questions and tips I run across in this forum.

RVRiggs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom