We Lead Such Exciting Lives!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daisy

Some of you may know that we are parked in Payson City Camp Ground for awhile.  Last night just after going to bed we heard voices outside.  Fred thought a fight was going on.  We heard a few pop-pops that we thought might be gunfire, not sure.  Then heard a rumble of something big going by us.  Got up only to see a large pine tree with fire shooting to the top.  Fire trucks were already in place.  Got dressed and gathered our few must haves, and ran outside.  An Allegro Bay motorhome was on fire.  Firemen were addressing the trees and got them out in quick order and then went to the mh.  It was fully engulfed when they arrived so not much they could do anyway, except to keep it from quickly spreading.  Well, they did a fantastic job.  The whole cg is forever grateful to all of them.  They had two trucks on scene.  Three more waiting at the entrance and all small towns around on alert.  And lots and lots of firemen.  This place is heavily treed, rvs packed fairly close, so what they did was miraculous.  The owners were not there.  They had gone back to Phoenix for the night after having the grandkids here to watch the fireworks in town the night before.  So no one was home and no one was hurt.  This all took place about 300-400 feet down the road from us.  I'll try posting picture if I can figure out how.

Attachments

• 1-DSC00077.JPG
    1-DSC00077.JPG
    325.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 1-DSC00075.JPG
    1-DSC00075.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 260
Wow, you certainly dodged the bullet this time.  From the first picture, it looks like the fire started in the galley, probably the refrigerator.

Yes, Ned, that was our first thought, too.  But owner said he had the refridge checked 2-3 years ago and it was not one of those on recall.

Daisy

Yes, George, it is sad.  Can only be happy no one was hurt.  They do have insurance, so will get something from it hopefully.  They were waiting for the inspectors when I went down there is a.m.

Daisy

The recalls have expanded over the years so it may not have been excluded.

Daisy:

The fact that it was not subject to a recall does not make it fire proof. ::)

Daisy said:
Yes, Ned, that was our first thought, too.  But owner said he had the refridge checked 2-3 years ago and it was not one of those on recall.

Daisy

A lot of fridges have been added to the recall list for both NoCold and Dometic in the last 2-3 yrs.  My gut feeling tells me that the fridge shot craps. :(

Jeff said:
Daisy:

The fact that it was not subject to a recall does not make it fire proof. ::)

You took the words right off my keyboard.

Now, I assume the fire started in the MH, and spread to the trees, but you did not actually state that, Is my assumption correct?

Best place to be when the house burns down:  OUT for the evening!!!!!

Wow is right. I hope my life never gets that exciting!  :(
Glad the owners were gone and no one in the CG was hurt. Kudo's to the firemen also!  ;)

I'm only telling you what the owner said.  I'll let the inspectors figure out the cause.  Everyone is gone now, but I see the fire people just drove by to take another look see.  They've been back several times today, I assume to make sure none has started smoldering again.  Everyone is still a bit jumpy...

Daisy

Mavarick, as others here will tell you we have had somewhat of a history of exciting things that happen to us on our travels.  You may not want to follow behind us too closely.... ;D 

Jeff, thank you, so are we...

Daisy

Glad it wasn't any more exciting than it was. When I started reading, I thought you were going to say there was a bear in the campground :)  Best news is that it didn't start a forest fire. How did the firemen get there so quick ? And how wonderful that they did !

Stay safe and cool.
Wendy

Well we just glad you and everyone is ok. And another forest fire didn't begin.

And here's another reason that those refer's need to be maintained every six months. Gotta clean out them flues.

It's a shame that we have to learn lessons by other peoples tragedies.

Barb said:
It's a shame that we have to learn lessons by other peoples tragedies.

Barb.. I fully agree, but it could be worse.

For example. back when I had a stick house and I bought this rolling house I, personally, installed a TT-30 for battery maintenance and such.

I researched, and wired it per the norm for a TT-30, 120vac even got the hot and neutral right, good safety ground too,  Proper breaker for the size wire I fed it (Existing 12ga line 20 amp).

Since joining several RF forum communities I have found that I did good.  Many on those forums have hired a professional to put in a 30 amp outlet.. Only to find, later, that said pro wired it for 240 volts, and they fried the electronics in thier trailer.

Now I know, if I ever have a pro put in an outlet, I'll make it a 50 amp and I will meter it first.. But that knowledge cose me, personally, nothing.

The folks who hired a TT-30 installed wrong..They had to pay and pay and pay and hire an attorney who they paied and .. Well you get the picture.

Barb:  I don't know how the firemen got there so fast.  One person said a couple were having a late swim in the pool and smelled smoke (must of been a very strong smell of it as they probably could not have seen fire from where they were) and called it in.  For sure, the neighbors on either side called it in.  The people across the street didn't know anything until someone pounded on their rig to get them up and out.  Once we were up and out Fred pounded on the trailer next to us where an elderly couple live.  (older than us, in their 90s. ;D)  Got them up and out.  All I could think about was this whole campground going up, as the trees are so tinder dry.  The firemen really did a tremendously good job in preventing that. 

Still don't know what the cause is.  Someone said may never know from what the pattern of fire was etc and very little left to tell the much.  But those inspectors certainly know what to look for so I'm not about to second guess this one.  It was tragic no matter what the cause. 

Daisy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom