EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Please measure your RV for us - PLEASE ??  (Read 15883 times)

olley

• ---
Re: Please measure your RV for us - PLEASE ??
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 04:02:59 AM »
Hi Paul if the GVW of the trailer is over 750kg then yes, seems barmy to me, I can tow my trailer+car 1300kg behind my old kentucky camp 3500kg but pass my "C" and I can't behind my Brave 9250kg.  >:(

I believe only the french axioms have GVW under 750kg so they could be towed on an "A" frame but that's another can of worms.  :-\

I intend to take the "C+E" later this year or next, as I think that sooner or later they will sort the licences out. Their's a load of new regs. going through the European Parliament at the moment, for implementation in about 2 or 3 years.

olley

Mick & Pat

• ---
    • Thiswilldous
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 09:27:10 AM »
Paul,

This has been posted on the ARVM forum this morning in a thread titled : RV's & the DVLA.
Hi everyone who has contributed to this thread,

I have measured my Brave as Paul Dudley instructed, i.e. open the driver and passenger windows and pull the tape across and then deduct the thickness of the rubber seals, it is (within a nats whisker) 100".  Legal, I am pleased to say.  Forget what the brochure says.

Paul said that in the jurisdiction that he works, he is not having any problems whatsoever with registering new Winnies, and they are all measured for clarity, to and for, one and all.  So they are legal too.

He went on to say they are measured flat wall to flat wall.  Forget all the bull about handles, awnings, toppers, etc., the authorities have to be realistic and sensible (not always possible I guess!!) and that it is patently unnecessary to remove peripheral bits and pieces as the authorities know they will be refitted.  It is all about having a proper, honest and professional relationship with the authorities with which you work.

If JIMBO would like to contact Paul or Chris at Dudleys, they will help him with UK registration if they can, without any prejudice.

However, the matter is still in quite a delicate stage with so much goings on between all sorts of authorities.  It is important (personally speaking) that no-one (I mean us, RV owners etc.) does anything to antagonise the situation.  I believe the 'professional' dealers are doing their bit as I said in an earlier post and that fingers crossed (everything crossed actually), all will be sorted in due course.  I may be proved wrong though!!

So, if you have an RV already registered and on the road, I don't think you will have any problems.  However, if you are importing one from the USA, you may find your local DVLA may or may not be obliging!  Depends on where you live.

Hope this will help someone out there, even if it is only to sleep!

Richard

JIMBO's earlier posting within the same thread on ARVM is shown on page one of this thread.
Regards Mick & Pat Podmore.

UK couple who toured USA / Canada. Oct 2007 - Aug 2009

2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39S,Cat C7, Freightliner XC Chassis  2008 Jeep Liberty Ltd 3.7 .

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 11:13:27 AM »
Thanks Olley,

It is crazy that you can drive a 30T vehicle on a C, but cannot drive an 8T plus 2500kg car.

Thanks Mick,

It would be good if you can measure from window to window - but the statements Jimbo was told by the authorities do seem to conflict with those of Dudley's.

Dudleys made the comment of 'dont rock the boat' which could be to save their skin, or hopefully will be as stated to calm the whole thing down and hope it loses some of the high profile it is getting with the authorities.

We will just have to watch what happens over the next few months.

Unfortunately, for those of us currently in the US, there is nothing we can do as anything could happen the day prior to our import - we can only investigate those other options like the 'load' etc.

Thanks
Paul

olley

• ---
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 11:46:30 AM »
hi paul I am a bit sceptical about jimbo's post, he didn't try very hard to get registered, and he seemed to be shipping it back almost before he got here.

He's only ever made one post on the forum and that was it.  :-\

Olley
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 11:48:22 AM by olley »

cwalshaw

• ---
Re: Please measure your RV for us - PLEASE ?? UPDATE?
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 11:04:11 AM »
Has anyone got any very recent experience/updates on the width problem. My Fleetwood Terra 27 feet long and according to the manufacturers spec 102" wide without awning. It's currently in storage in the US, so I cannot measure the actuals as you have been discussing.
Has there been any slackening of the rules?
Colin

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2007, 03:23:11 PM »
Colin,

Hopefully Paul will see your question and respond. My understanding was that folks like Paul were considering registering their coaches in Ireland as a back door. I wasn't sure if that was the north or Eire.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

cwalshaw

• ---
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2007, 06:36:30 AM »
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply, I had also thought about Spain or Portugal ( they might not be as rectal retentive as the Brits). I will be stableing it on the Continent anyway, so apart from language problems with the paperwork it could work out. Has anyone tried this?
Colin

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »
Hi Colin

Not too much has changed since June last year.

The UK RVDA (Recreational Vehicle Dealers Association) have been having "productive" (their word) meetings with the DVLA in Bristol.

They claim that good news will be forthcoming in "very, very early 2007" (their words again).

You could take a look at their website (www.uk-rvda.co.uk) which they promoted to everyone in the December issue of the ARV Magazine to get an idea of their professional standard of work !!

In mid-December, their "press spokesman" stated on the ARVM forum that the website would be upgraded within "a couple of weeks" (their words again) - so we will see.

You could take a look at Itchyfeets related website at Roamin-Times to read what the RVDA and Itchyfeet have to say on the Registration issue.

There you will read that RVs are exempt from C&U - but contact the RVDA, DVLA or even Itchyfeet and you will see they are NOT (currently) exempt at all - but they wont remove the statement from their website (together with other "untruths").

I hope they do manage to come up with something, but in the meantime Im chasing my own solutions.

Regards
Paul

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 07:20:03 AM by UK-RV »

cwalshaw

• ---
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 11:46:47 AM »
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the current heads up!
I am also scrambling around, so lets keep each other updated.
I have contacted Fleetwood in the USA and hopefully will get some feedback from them. I have seen some rigs on the same chassis as mine advertised on the web, so if they are the same width somebody knows a way round this.
 I am also going to the Caravan & Motorhome Show @ the GMEX in Manchester next week to see what I can smiff out.
Will stay on the case.
Colin

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »
Colin,

Please let us know what you find out so we can pass it along to others who follow you. TIA.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Hosted by Over The Network