TRAVELING WITH A CAT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a pretty funny subject with us!  We used to run a generator in the back of the TV while traveling just so 'Lenard' had aircon in the 5th wheel.... While at Myrtle Beach this summer, we realized he was spending most of his time in the enclosure at the head of our bed and with day time sun beating on the front cap, this enclosure was like 95deg.....  On the way home this year we did not run the aircon, opened a couple of windows in the unit and had a remote temp gauge to monitor the temp in the unit while driving.... I think he was happier without that darn cold air blowing on him.......  Agree, plenty of water, food and his litter in the unit and he's fine under way, he is not a good rider in the TV, completely stressed out, get's sick like crazy.....  Everyone happy with him in the unit.

The one problem that I see is leaving the cats in the RV on a day that gets too hot. After a good, I deal of thought and work, I think I have a solution.

I have just completed construction of a 3' x 2' x 20" screen room for our two cats. It hangs on an open window of the 5er.  There is a table just below the window, so the cats will be free to go in or out as they choose. The outer edge of the room is supported by two telescoping poles that were made for paint rollers. For travel, the contraption will be carried on a plywood platform hat is tsecured to the rear bumper.

After all of the effort that I have put into it, I will be really annoyed if those perverse cats  (calling a cat perverse is redundant) decide that they don't like it.

ok another question about traveling with cats. Our two cats have never gone a long distance, if their meowing gets to be a bit too much is it safe to put them in our 5th wheel uncaged? Just let them run lose? I know to get them out before we open the slides. Our one cat is pretty noisy:)

It gets awful hot in that 5W box on any sunny day, and the ride is pretty rough back there. Putting animals in the trailer is not a good idea, though cats can hang on onto most anything.

One thing you can be sure of, after one episode of riding in that trailer, you will have a hard time ever getting those cats to travel again. They will likely be terror stricken as soon as they detect you making preparations for a trip in the RV. And they do know, somehow. It wouldn't even surprise me if they run away.

carrotski said:
Our two cats have never gone a long distance, if their meowing gets to be a bit too much is it safe to put them in our 5th wheel uncaged?

We had a noise issue the first time out and we had decided to introduce them to traveling in a kennel. They were better when they could see us and we occasionally stuck a hand in the kennel. I have also been told that if you put a towel over the kennel so that they are not assaulted with visual cues, they behave better.

In any event, we cut them loose the second trip and they learned to live with it. Now that was in a motorhome. I would not suggest that in something being towed for all the other  reasons stated.

Ours know when they are about to travel but they have also learned to deal with it. Cats are remarkably adaptable.

We are in the process of looking at Casitas. We'll be traveling with our two female cockers - 2 yr & 3 yr. We are not experienced with rving or traveling with pets.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Has anyone ever used one of those collapsable fences outside the trailer. We would stay with them if they were in the fence for a bit. I assume they would need to be leashed even in these. They will be in the RV when we are inside.
Do most parks have pet friendly "loops" or even pet parks to let animals run and play with other dogs.

Thanks for your help!
Pam

hifivepam said:
We are in the process of looking at Casitas. We'll be traveling with our two female cockers - 2 yr & 3 yr. We are not experienced with rving or traveling with pets.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Everyone hates barking dogs, so make sure your dogs don't annoy the neighbors. Clean up after them when you walk them and always keep them on a leash outside except as noted below.
Has anyone ever used one of those collapsable fences outside the trailer. We would stay with them if they were in the fence for a bit. I assume they would need to be leashed even in these. They will be in the RV when we are inside.
No they don't need to be on a leash inside an enclosure. But you do need to be with them. It is best to check with the manager or host to see if you can put up a fenced dog area, some parks don't allow them.
Do most parks have pet friendly "loops" or even pet parks to let animals run and play with other dogs.
Leaf Verde RV Park in Buckeye Arizona has fenced dog run, but it is the only park I have ever seen that has one.

Some parks have areas for walking dogs but very few have areas where they can be let off the leash. I know one in NY (Daggett Lake Campsites) that even has a doggie swimming area, but parks like that are few and far between.

Sorry to support the thread drift, but....

We don't have dogs, but most of our friends do. We have stayed in a number of places with fenced runs across the country. We have also stayed in a number of places where the enclosures are not allowed.

You can often find a dog park somewhere locally as part of the municipal park system.

Your best bet is to make the dog question the first one you ask of a potential campground. It sounds like that is a critical criteria for you, so make it a priority and don't get surprised (or angered) by the response.

Our 25# orange and white tabby "Rusty" has been across the United States 7 times in 3 years in our MH.  He cries for the first hour or so when we leave home and then settles down on the floor or sofa.  Our new black and white cat "Penny" hides whenever I start the engine but as soon as we park she comes out of hiding.  She has only been across the U.S. one time in the MH.

Here is a picture of the "condo" that I made out of a shopping cart (we legally owned it).  It clips to the window frame and I have two pieces of tubing that fastens the top part to the window frame.

The litter box sits under the dinette table.

Attachments

• Rusty's house 1.jpg
    Rusty's house 1.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 40
  • rusty cart.jpg
    rusty cart.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 31
wackymac said:
Our 25# orange and white tabby "Rusty" has been across the United States 7 times in 3 years in our MH.  He cries for the first hour or so when we leave home and then settles down on the floor or sofa.  Our new black and white cat "Penny" hides whenever I start the engine but as soon as we park she comes out of hiding.  She has only been across the U.S. one time in the MH.

Here is a picture of the "condo" that I made out of a shopping cart (we legally owned it).  It clips to the window frame and I have two pieces of tubing that fastens the top part to the window frame.

The litter box sits under the dinette table.

I have made a similar device, but with some differences. Mine is 35" x 19" x 18". I did not have convenient window under the awning, so I put a roof on mine. I was concerned about stressing the window frame and causing leaks. To avoid the stress, the outer edge is supported by telescoping poles (from Menards) that are made for paint rollers. The poles secure with bolts and wing nuts. To avoid getting the entire RV full of insects, the whole thing is screened. The brown bracket is one of two that secure the screen room to a platform mounted on the back bumper.

I figured that as perverse as cats tend to be, they would refuse to use it. Fortunately, they both love it.

Joel

Attachments

• Outside.jpg
    Outside.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 17
Thank You to all of you for answering my questions about "Traveling with Cats". This will be our first trip with our cats and hopefully all will go smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom