Coming back over to RV the Eastern side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G'day,

My name is Kylie and in 2011 my husband and daughter came to the USA and had the most wonderful 6 month RV holiday enjoying the western states.  Our blog is (linked in signature line) if you wanted to check it out.  Anyway, we loved it so much we want to come over to the Eastern side and do the same again.  We are thinking of coming over in June and starting right up the top and making our way down ending up in Florida in Dec or late November.

We love hiking, National/State Parks, animal/bird spotting, museums and my husband is a muscle car enthusiast.  Last time we had a 25ft Jamboree motor home but have decided to upgrade to a Silverado and 5th Wheel about 25 - 30ft.  My husband did so well backing and driving the RV (on the other side of the road) but he is a bit concerned with backing a 5th wheel.  Some of the National Parks are a bit of a tight squeeze or very uneven. We are told/can see the Eastern side is far more populated so I think having a vehicle to drive around will be much easier.  Plus we could do with a little more space this time.

If anyone has any suggestions on places to visit, stay or even RV information I would really grateful!  Last time we bought on consignment from a dealer and ended up selling it after our 6 months.  We unfortunately had to buy in California and the tax was pretty steep.  I think we might have to work it a bit better this time.

Thank Mate!
Cant wait to meet you guys and have a yarn around the campfire!

I'll list just a few of my favorites.

There is some hiking in the White Mountains in New Hampshire.

Farther south, don't miss the Blue Ridge Parkway and Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

The Florida panhandle has a surprising amount of wilderness. Some of the best birding is at St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. At the other end of the state, see Everglades National Park and Big Cypress National Preserve.

Joel

Bird (and alligator!) watching in Florida is spectacular - many species you never see in less tropical climates. The area around Titusville has some splendid opportunities - see this web site for more info:
http://www.abouttitusville.com/outdoors/wildlife/index.html

The Georgia state parks and the federal (Corp of Engineers) parks are all a joy - visit as many as you can. Some of us from the forum are getting together at Laura Walker S.P. @ Waycross, GA, in late October of this year, but it appears you are talking about 2013.

Lots of trails and camping along the Blue Ridge Parkway (Virginia and North Carolina). Luray Caverns is highly recommended, and they have a nice antique car museum as well.

Oh Fantastic information already! Thank you so much.  No cant make it this year.  It is quite some organising coming from Australia, but it is definitely worth the effort. 

Hi,
We are heading back over in 2013 and planning to see some of the Easten US this time, covered alot of the
West in the past few years. We did have some time in Florida on our way to the UK, but hope to see some more.

Met two different couples this past summer, one from Germany who bought in South Dakota, traveling for a year with the intention of reselling when they left in October.  Also met a couple from New Zeland who had a son in Vancouver Canada who bout an old class B for them.  They were traveling the U.S.for about 6 weeks intending to resell it when they left.  I would research purchasing both in South Dakota and Canada and see which might offer the best advantages for you.  I think buying and traveling is a great idea.  Generally six months is the limit for a visa, but as the couple from Germany found out if you have proof of ownership a visa for a longer stay is possible.  As for where to stay?  Have not camped on the east coast much, but two items I would not miss are the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village both in Detroit Michigan.  Those two places alone can consume nearly a week.  After that I could not pass up the Civil  War battlefields.  Have fun and keep us up to date on your adventures.  We love to have folks visit us.

If  visitors are not returning to Canada before going back home, buying vehicles (or boats etc...) in Canada could become problematic as US Customs might strongly object to you selling the vehicle stateside, unless the vehicle was imported to the USA and the appropriate taxes paid at that time. The same thing works the other way around when buying vehicles (or boats or...) in USA and bringing them back to Canada, they have to be legally imported before they can be legally sold.

Importation of said vehicles could lead to a host of other problems for visitors such as registering the vehicle where a legal address in the country is required etc.

I have to wonder what became of the plan to sell that old class B mentioned by Donn under these circumstances.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom