Is taking out carpet a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce M.

Hi All,
Carpet to a hard floor?
We decided to keep our 25 foot C another 3 years until we are debt free so we?re doing some upgrades. We are thinking of replacing the carpet with some type of hard or flat surface. We are hoping to find something that gives it the hard wood floor look and then the tile look in the bathroom. Will we increase road noise without carpet? It is a Chateau Sport with full basement and slide out. Does anyone have any advice to offer?
Bruce

Most of the new units you see are coming out with less and less carpet. Hard surfaces are easier to clean keep looking fresh longer. You can always add an area rug it you want something soft under your feet. If it gets dirty or worn, throw it out and get a new one.  There are many choices of hard surfaces to install. Some use stick down tile squares, and others have used a laminate type flooring. If you use a laminate type in the bath, make sure that it is waterproof, or is installed with a waterproof glue between the joints to repel moisture.

There are some quality stick down tile squares available. One big caution before you choose any new floor surface is check the clearance under your slide to make sure that it will clear the surface of the new floor and not damage it when moving in and out. A slight slide adjustment may be in order.

I ripped out my carpet from behind the front seats all the way back through the RV including the bedroom and replaced it with a laminate floor.  I do not regret this for one second.  It's easier to clean and it smells better.  The worst part was probably pulling all the staples out when I removed the carpet.  As someone mentioned, a throw rug works well in the winter.

lots of good material out there. you will have a sound elevation. most folks use throw rugs, anyway.

I pulled the carpet out and replaced it with Allure by Traffic Master. Best thing Ive done inside the coach. I did leave carpet in the bedroom though.

We replaced the carpet in our previous motorhome with a generic laminate.  When we bought the new (to us) fifth wheel, it was the first modification we made.  We immediately had Pergo flooring installed in place of the carpet and I love it.

Margi

We purchased our new MH with solid floors, the only carpet in the MH is in the bedroom. The hardfloors are much easier to clean as well.

Replaced carpet with tile pattern laminate in all but bedroom. Much easier to keep clean. replaced carpet in bedroom with scraps from our living room at home.

MedfordRV said:
Hi All,
Carpet to a hard floor?
We decided to keep our 25 foot C another 3 years until we are debt free so we?re doing some upgrades. We are thinking of replacing the carpet with some type of hard or flat surface. We are hoping to find something that gives it the hard wood floor look and then the tile look in the bathroom. Will we increase road noise without carpet? It is a Chateau Sport with full basement and slide out. Does anyone have any advice to offer?
Bruce

Bruce,
We at ROUTE 66 RV has specialized in carpet and flooring replacement in RVs for over 30 years, and one thing is for sure, hard surfaces are preferred over carpet in most coaches we remodel.  With that being said, much has changed in both carpet and hard surface flooring options over the last few years.

For one, it used to be that if you wanted carpet, it had to be nylon.  Nylon is the most versatile fiber to twist and conform into different shapes and patterns.  The problem is, nylon is very prone to stains without a stain resistant additive like Stainmaster or Anso, and even with such treatments, more likely to fade under direct sunlight than other fiber options.  The twist in the carpet made it desirable though, and thus, marketing machines like DuPont, who used to own Stainmaster, made nylon the top choice.  Until a few years ago, you wouldn't consider anything but stain resistant nylon, but as crude oil prices went up, so too did all the products derived from it.  In this case, you guessed it, nylon carpet.

As such, today's fibers from Karastan and Mohawk combine the twist capacity of many nylons with inherently stain resistant fibers.  These fibers, known to consumers as SmartStrand, are known within the industry as Triexta, a whole new generation of practically stain-proof carpets.  Shaw's comparable product, called Clear Touch, also warrants against everything from Food and Drink Spills to even Pet Stains, for the life of the carpet.  Considering SmartStrand is derived from ethanol and Clear Touch descends from plastic bottle recycling, their price points are lower that nylon options, with better stain resistant amenities built in.  Consider one of these options combined with a moisture resistant, plastic lined padding to also prevent staining from soaking into the padding.

With that being said, most new motorhomes come with pretty inadequate carpet, which offers a color that complements the decor but not much more.  For most manufacturers, the emphasis is on making the coach look good enough to sell, and not the overall performance of the carpet used to fit that need.  As such, an upgrade in quality would be reflected in an increased density and enhanced stain-resistant fiber selection in carpet and a stain-resistant padding as well.

As for hard surface flooring options, we would recommend Luxury Vinyl Tile (or Planks), which are composed of a vinyl base and made to look like tile or wood (just like laminate).  Due to the ability to carve texture into these products, the look is much more authentic and slip resistant, and best of all, because it is vinyl, it can literally withstand a bucket of water being poured on it routinely.  These floors can also generally be glued down to the sub-floor, unlike laminate, which is intended to be floated, with trim pieces holding it down around the perimeter of the area.

When it comes to laminate, this floor has been re-invented practically in the past couple years.  When it was first introduced by Pergo, it spawned out of popularity amongst renters in Europe, who wanted a floor they could literally take apart and bring with them when they moved on down the road.  As it made its way into America, it was improved upon, strengthened and engineered for better performance.

Laminate is actually a composition of several layers of material, bonded under extreme pressure.  When American companies like Wilsonart re-created the floor, they focused on the top surface - the first line of defense and the most important ingredient in the material.  They used a thick, 17 - 45 mil piece of paper (which is printed on to create the design) on every floor they made.  Upon our companies' request, they even went so far as to warrant RV usage under any slideout we installed their floor under.

As the Chinese entered the market in recent years though, much has changed.  They diluted the marketplace with "thick" material with razor thin (generally around 6 mil paper) top surface layers at less than half the price of most competitors.  The problem is, this is your first line of defense, and for a floor designed to repel water, imagine spilling a drink on your desk.  Your bills get soaked and when they dry, the edges wrinkle up.  At the same time, those thick, glossy business cards that also got wet maintained their rigidity and shape as the water ran right off.  Now imagine how this same top surface performs on a laminate floor - it does the same thing, warping edges, beveling boards, etc.

Today, Wilsonart is out of the flooring business and most companies still around have lowered their standards to compete with the Asian product mix.  So, when it comes to laminate, buyer beware!

Lastly, as for increased noise pollution with either option - I wouldn't worry about it.  The hard surface floors are denser structurally than carpet, which is comprised of fibers stitched through a felt-like backing.  As such, the sound would likely be repelled back to where it originated (underneath the coach), even more so than it does with the present carpet layout.

Please feel free to send me a message if you need some additional advice.

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1995 Hitchhiker 2 and took out all carpet, painted the walls, replaced bathroom floors, and installed laminate.  I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!  The carpet that I had put in was a remnant which was much more cost effective.  The laminate is a lite colored flooring that went is easily.  I put it in myself in one day.  I am sure had I been more experienced it would have taken me half of a day, but it is what it is.

The carpet would have been much more costly for the install but I have a friend who is a professional carpet layer and he told me he would never do another one because of the small spaces and many different angels he had to deal with.  But, it is in and it is wonderful.

I live in mine full time, it's simple, inexpensive and cozy.  I am so happy.  I just this week purchased a 34 ft 5th wheel Seeya for my daughter and her new husband as they are going to save for a couple of years.  The Seeya will be getting new carpet and laminate as well.  Lot's of paint and a good scrubbing is in order as well.  It will be beautiful when finished. 

I think whether you put in carpet or hard wood if you are happy with it that is all that matters.  I am sure you can find some noise resistant padding to help with noise issues. 

Good luck.

Kathy

I tore all my carpet out, from the engine cover back. It was beyond salvage.
I used cheap, stick on Lino tiles which look ok. Just sweep the sand out the door. My dogs hate the slippery floor. They liked the disgusting old carpet! :)
As for noise....I can't hear anything over the rattling windows and the clattering oven.

I have a screen on one of my windows that Brenda stuffed some paper towels in it. Add some throw rugs- your dogs will love the traction. Put a towel on the stove cover

LOL! You know...the smart one lays on the "dog house" while the other one slides around. Maybe I should slow down a bit. This class A seems like a van compared to my Mack. Sorry for the thread jack.  ;)

I tore out my carpet from the cockpit back through entire coach except bathroom which is on slightly different level. Removing the ten million staples was the hardest part like one other poster said. Replaced with peel and stick tile of a nice light abstract.  I just LOVE IT.

I was able to find washable rugs that coordinate with the interior.  I use 1 or 2 in the summer and 5 in the winter, just shake out the rugs. If filthy, can throw in my washer. Works terrific.

I love the easy cleaning of the vinyl, and the light flooring that makes it bright and airy inside. I visit the beach, lakes and rivers often, plus we like to hike. Even though we wipe our feet on a heavy duty outdoor mat outside, dirt still comes inside and being able to sweep it out or vac up with a tiny vac is awesome.

I don't know why RV manufacturers are so intent on shoving carpet at us. If they install carpet they should install a heavy duty central vac. You can't use a wimpy little vac on carpet you need a seriously heavy duty vac and many RV's just don't have room to store one unless it's already built-in.

I am new to the RV forum and have a question on this topic.  We purchased a 05 Fleetwood Revolution 3 years ago.  The outside and inside is black, silver and beige but has GREEN carpet in the living area, bedroom and on the area in front of the passenger seat.  (have hated the carpet for 3 years).  The small area as you enter the door, the kitchen and bathroom has ceramic tile.  Can't find the tile that is in the RV now.  We go to the lake alot and would like to have some kind of flooring that is easy to keep clean and will look ok with the ceramic that is already in it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
gaild

RVperSON, Welcome to the Forum !!!!!

Many people here have replaced the carpet with Allure flooring  :

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=52038.0

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=52491.0

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=53191.0

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members