Traveling from Floirda to New York City - Any Roads We Should Avoid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvtripwith4

This is our 2nd time renting a 29' Class C Motorhome for our summer vacation.  We are leaving in about a week and traveling from the West Coast of Florida to New York City area.  Actually to Croton on Hudson area.  Is there any routes/roads we should avoid with a motorhome?  This is our first time driving this route period and I wanted to get some advice before we leave.  Thanks!

We prefer to use I81 through VA and PA, then across I84 to NY and New England,  making a loop around the Washington-NYC corridor where traffic is super-heavy. Just passed that way a couple days ago on our way to Maine.

I second Gary's route, we usually head from St Petes, to Ocala, take US 301 to north of Jacksonville, then up I 77 past Charlotte, to I 81.  Most people want to avoid the Washington Beltway, through New Jersey, and the George Washington Parkways that do not allow any form of RV or commercial vehicle, for example the Wilber Cross that runs from near Hartford to NYC, just below Croton.  It has been a few years since we've driven in that area, but you need to be vigilant, as they will ticket you without a warning.

Ed

I also prefer the I-81 option over I-95 anywhere north of Fredericksburg VA. Slightly longer mile wise but much less traffic and annoyance and some very nice scenery along the way. I think it would be perfect for a family trip. Good luck.

Living in the DC area, I also avoid 95 altogether from Richmond northward. To go to New York, I'll take I81, or I83 up to Harrisburg, then I78 east and then up I287 and across the Tappan Zee (which is often a crowded mess).  When we visit our relatives north of NY city, I'll take I287 to I87 and I'll cross the Hudson at the Bear Mountain Bridge. 

Live on Long Island the news is stay away from the GWB George Washington Bridge. Major construction on the Harlem River Bridge, AKA Cross Bronx Expressway. Eastbound delays over 5 miles.  In Two week it will be west bound.

Four wheelers use the tunnels or the Gang Plank Verranzano Bridge.

Major headache to get off the Island..

We too live on LI, When outbound I leave before dawn if possible. Inbound we usually don't have the luxury. We hit the GWB, put on some Sinatra and relax as best we can as we crawl across the Bronx.

Taking the Verrazano route, means battling construction zones in Staten Island, than crawling north on the Brooklyn Queens Expwy, til you come to a complete stop most days on the Long Island Expressway.

GWB is the way to LI.. Unless you are traveling north, then go north to cross the Hudson. Most take I84

Just notice your heading to Croton on the Hudson..  You can take 95  to I287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge to Route 9 North to Croton

We do the same thing leave 4:30AM never use 440 but with the construction all bets are ogg.  Looks like 84 to 684 to Throgs Neck Bridge. 

I hope for heavy traffic on the CBE saves the MH crawl to the TNB..

Looks like a traffic nightmare coming. They are talking a 5 mile backup into NJ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom