70s Shower Needs New Liner or "Tiles"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ripley

Our 1977 trailer is in surprisingly good condition, except the previous owner removed the liner of the teeny shower. I assume it had cracked. The walls are not damaged in any way and the basin floor is old but ok.

Most of our camping time will be at an acreage where we have access to nice bath facilities, but we'd like to get the shower functioning anyway in case we do camp elsewhere from time to time.

We're looking for a simple and inexpensive option. (If we had more cash, we would have bought a newer trailer.) After doing a bit of online research I've found four choices I'd like feedback on. Am I missing some options?

- Vinyl flooring on the walls. Shakenbake did this, however he applied it over the existing waterproof shower walls that we don't have.

- Barker board. It looks like tile, but isn't. I think its waterproof for use in cheap kitchen and bathroom renos. Do the walls need prep other than adhesive? 

- Cut down a rv tub surround if we can't buy one to fit

- FRP Plastic Composite Siding Panels from Home Depot

Hubby is very handy, but if I can do this myself -- with help from online mentors -- I'd be tickled. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

The vinyl flooring is waterproof in and of itself. You could really install it over any firm substrate. I would probably use some 3/8"-1/2" plywood. The corner seams would be the only problem areas, but if you wrapped the corners with something like 15# roofing felt all the way down to the pan before butting the vinyl in the corner, then caulked the finished seam after the vinyl was up you shouldn't have any water penetration. JM2C

I agree with waterdog, But if you dont want the seam, go for some sheet vinyl flooring and warm the corners with a hairdryer to fit it in.

Ripley, your Photobucket links work fine, or if you want you can also include the pictures themselves as part of your post by using the "Attachments and other options" button at the bottm left of the reply or post page. If you do that, it's a good idea to resize your photos first to approximately 800 x 600.

If your existing wallboard is solid, I don't see any reason why you couldn't go right over the top of it, except that you might want to put something thin over it to get it out even with the metal on the bottom.

The metal at the bottom is the transition fromt he wall board to the shower/tub. you will need that metal in place to keep water from going in behind it. There should be calking of some type behide the metal.

It looks pretty good for it's age, and find most of the parts you need can still be found.

Looks pretty solid and should make it easy.  How about the panels they used to call Melanine?  They are plastic, about 1/8" thick, cheap and come with strips to join them together and for in the corners.  They were designed for bathrooms or kitchens where you needed waterproof walls.

We've been full timing for the past month. The 4 of us use the shower daily. So far the shower has held up well. I'd say it would glue easily over some luan or plywood.

Thanks for your update Shakenbake, and for your comments and ideas everyone. I'm struggling with the decore. I don't want to go to the expense of updating it all, but I just can't do authentic 1977. *Shudder* The only upside to that year was Star Wars. OK, OK, I'll admit I still love KC and the Sunshine Band and Donna Summer.

I don't want any man who looks anything like Burt Reynolds anywhere near my trailer. LOL On the other hand, limes -- and margaritas -- could make a good decor theme.

Back
Top Bottom