LOSING MY ENTHUSIASM FOR RVing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karsty

After almost 8 months of RV ownership I am beginning to lose my enthusiasm for RVing. Not that I don't enjoy the travelling or the RV lifestyle. But I am beginning to wonder if I don't have a "LEMON"  :( :(. I purchased my Winnebago ERA last November. I was excited and delighted with my purchase. But ... I quickly discovered that my RV had a number of minor problems and issues that needed to be repaired/replaced. I accepted that as all part of the RV experience. Although for a new vehicle it was something of a surprise for me.

After my last trip to the RV and Mercedes dealers I really thought everything was taken care of ... until I went to empty my grey water tanks. I emptied the before with no problem. This time the macerator pump didn't pump. Nothing ... no noise, no pumping ... no nothing!!! OK ... check the manual ... Hmmm fuse?? Now why would a fuse blow?? No idea ... this is a new vehicle but I guess it can happen. So ... I go to the store and buy and set of fuses. Replace 20 AMP fuse for waste pump. Have friend turn on pump ... a large POP and FLASH and fuse blows immediately. I note in manual that you may have to remove the back of pump and using a screwdriver manually turn the macerator to see if it moves freely. Unfortunately I can't do that. I have no means to get underneath the RV and do these things. And there is no one in the area that has a lift strong enough to lift the RV to have it done!!

So ... make another appointment with the dumb ass RV dealer. July 30th is the earliest appointment. So here I sit with an almost full grey water tank and no means to empty it ... at least as far as I know.

My question is:

Is there a way to empty my grey water tank without having to use the macerator pump?? Is there some kind of drain valve on the tank?? Since it is only grey water I don't mind draining it in my back yard for now.

FYI ... I have not used the black water tank period. It doesn't need to be emptied. I also noticed that Winnebago has made a change on their 2013 model ERA and replaced the macerator pump system with a gravity flow system to empty the tanks on the ERA. Perhaps they have identified a problem with the macerator pump method that they haven't shared with us yet??????

Any help would be appreciated.

Don't get discouraged.  There's aways problems to fix, just like you have with a stick house.  I've hear lots of folks complain about those mas. pumps, i.e. sewer garbage disposals. I've had three different RV's over the past 30 years.  I'm a big believer in the KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid).  Once you get the thing empited....lose the pump and go back to gate valve and sewer hose.  Gate valves are easy and cheap to repl when they break.  If you don't want to take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it, your should be able to discon. the mas pump from the line, just wear goggles and long rubber gloves and be ready for a stinky flood of old gray water. 

A manual back up way of draining that tank would be a good idea in the event the pump has issues. The era is a van type rv so maybe the tank is located where gravity draining is a challenge. I think I would ask the dealer about a back up method when you see them.

I am sorry you are having so many problems with your new RV. Here is what I would do. I would look at Craigslist and find a mobile RV mechanic and I would pay him to come out and get your macerator changed to a regular dump valve. Then I would totally forget that dealer ever existed and only use mobile repairmen. Don't let a lousy dealership ruin your RV experience.

Take it to the dealer and let him do it. The rig is under warranty...why then pay someone to fix their problem or try to do it yourself? The RV manufacturers/dealers would love for you to fix their problems.

BruceinFL said:
Take it to the dealer and let him do it. The rig is under warranty...why then pay someone to fix their problem or try to do it yourself? The RV manufacturers/dealers would love for you to fix their problems.

While the vehicle is under warranty I am certainly going this route. As for the other suggestions ... thanks much but it doesn't help at the moment. I still have a full grey tank with no way to empty it as far as I know.

Just one more thing that i will try and muddle through. Interestingly there are two gate style valves in the sewer compartment. One for the grey and one for the black. I tried pulling them but as far as I can tell the water won't flow ... unless the pump is running. Seems so strange that there wouldn't be some kind of backup system in place.

I'll check with the dealer when I get it in.

If you have a gate valve before the pump, close it and pull the pump.  Not sure about yours, but typically on somethong like yours it is a twist on connector just like the hose.  I am trying to remember the ERA, but not sure how that one is connected.  Just follow output to the gate valve, look for the twist ears.  If you find it, as I said, close gate valve pop off pump., connect up a hose and pull the valve.

Before you give up completely, we should tell you that EVERY new MH has problems initially. (of course someone will now pop up and swear theirs was perfect right from the factory, but I don't believe it) The previous owners of ours had pages of items to be repaired or tweaked after purchase. A little time on this site will confirm the number of problems, some large some small. Also, once you get the factory bugs worked out, you should have a few years of happy camping before things start to break from age and use.

Dealerships already have the majority of your money. Warranty work is not a priority at whatever reduced rate the manufacturer pays versus full boat ripoff for someone off the street. Warranty work is always back of the line work. If you insist on getting what you paid for, then you'll need to be very patient.

I agree with the others that you should have a twist off connection somewhere in the line. Macerators have their place, they are convenient for pumping uphill or long distance when needed. My MH macerator sits in the compartment for a year at a time. I use it once a year to keep it active but use gravity drain for everyday usage. It just isn't worth the effort to keep it unclogged. And if you've ever taken one apart to repair it you'll agree that gravity is the way to go. I have to rebuild the one in my boat every few years and don't look forward to it ever.

Ken

PancakeBill said:
If you have a gate valve before the pump, close it and pull the pump.  Not sure about yours, but typically on somethong like yours it is a twist on connector just like the hose.  I am trying to remember the ERA, but not sure how that one is connected.  Just follow output to the gate valve, look for the twist ears.  If you find it, as I said, close gate valve pop off pump., connect up a hose and pull the valve.

I appreciate the advise and if I had some means to get under the RV to reach the pump I would do that. Unfortunately I don't. There is only about 9 inches of ground clearance in this area. Now that i am beginning to find that more maintenance will be required under the RV I am looking at building a set of ramps so that I can raise the RV ... either from the front or rear or all four wheels. Needless to say the ramps will have to be strong enough to support the RV (11030 lbs). I have seen some commercial ones but the prices are prohibited. I'm figuring to use 2" X whatever width is necessary to fit the rear dual wheels and just keep adding till I get the height I need. Even 6-8 inches would probably be enough.

The picture below shows the bottom of the access opening to the ground ... which again is approximately 9 inches. Not enough for me!!  :-\

Attachments

• IMG_0954a.jpg
    IMG_0954a.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 191
Have you called the Winnebago factory help desk (its a 800 # maybe in your owners manual.  They helped me when I had a Winnie.  They have backup for manual operation of slideouts maybe they have a backup for your problem.  They put out a good owners manual what does it say?
Regard, Dick

Here is another thought,, Members of this forum are scattered all over the nation and beyond,, Perhaps someone is close enough to make a "House call" and has expierence with systems like yours.

Myself, the last 3 years where I park I have helped someone with a Television problem.  Usually simple, Sometimes funny, in retrospect, but always well within my limited skills.

PancakeBill said:
Pull the macerator hose out and take a shot,

Great idea ... but that's how I found out the tank wouldn't drain in the first place. You take out the hose ... pull the gate valve open and also open a ball valve at the end of the hose and nothing happens. You then push the macerator switch to activate the pump and the water  comes gushing out ... except this time there was no gushing.  :-\

I am going to call an RV dealer in Niagara Falls, NY and ask them if there is a procedure to manually drain the grey water. They are closer than my RV dealer and hopefully more knowledgeable as well.

As for calling Winnebago ... I'll give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. As for the manual ... it doesn't seem to cover a pump failure other than to check fuse and manually clear the macerator with the screwdriver.

My dealers suggestion ... "It must be the switch or the pump" ... hence I have the appointment.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Just a thought Karsty. We have a jiffy lube close to the house. The owners are super nice and very flexible. Maybe because we have taken all our cars there over the years. Anyway, if there is something close by that has the underneath walk in bay, maybe you could "rent" some time from them in order to give you the access you need.

Karsty,

I just crawled under my ERA just for you.  Why? I don't know you.  I'll probably never meet you.  We're not even countrymen.  The one thing we share is that our eyes are open to the substandard product that we are sold for the price of a modest home.  In my opinion, the craftsmanship that goes into MOST recreational vehicles is shameful.  If any manufacturer, dealer, management, or laborer that has anything to do with the production of these things is reading this, I reiterate, shameful.  When we hear others criticize poor American workmanship, this industry is the epitome. 
    Now on to your problem;  The black and gray tanks flow into an ABS T fitting.  Attached to that T is a rubber coupling attached at both ends with hose clamps.  On the other side of that coupling is a PVC pipe that threads into the macerator.  If you loosen the rubber coupler at the T fitting side, you can thread the PVC pipe out of the macerator.  Of course you want to leave the valve gates closed until you've done all of this.  Once the PVC pipe is unthreaded, you can open the valve gate and drain the gray tank.  Let me know if there's any ambiguity in my explanation.  Good luck.

one method to get under a low rig is to drive up onto a curb. This gets another 6" very safely. I do not mean to bounce violently up onto the curb; find a driveway and parallel the road, and use the ramp section at the end of the driveway, get out and look to make sure your position is right and ease up on there. 

Troutbum/CougarFan said:
Just a thought Karsty. We have a jiffy lube close to the house. The owners are super nice and very flexible. Maybe because we have taken all our cars there over the years. Anyway, if there is something close by that has the underneath walk in bay, maybe you could "rent" some time from them in order to give you the access you need.

Thought of that the first day ... there is one of the oil change places just around the corner from me. Spoke to them but because of "insurance reasons" they wouldn't let me into their pit. Great minds think alike ... but it didn't help me to convince them to let me have a look.

"pickett" ... didn't you take any pictures??? Just kidding!!  ::)

Your description all sounds logical and makes sense to me. Once I get some ramps put together or find a curb  (thanks "skyking1" for that tip) that is convenient to use I will try and get under there and see what is what. I appreciate you going to that trouble. Are you anywhere near the Southern Ontario/Western New York area?? I'll buy you a coffee and we can compare notes.  :D

I certainly agree with you about the quality issue. For the money they charge I think they (the RV industry) could do a lot better. Don't get me wrong ... they look pretty when you see them in the showroom ... but once you take a harder look you can really see where they are pretty flimsy in some areas. What has compounded my problem is the lack of service at the dealer. Right from the first day I had my demo. They didn't seem to know a lot about the ERA to begin with. They apparently sell very few and concentrate more on the larger Class A's.

Once again ... thanks to all for their ideas and suggestions. I'll get it taken care of one way or another. I have a two week trip coming up in less than a month and I want everything working properly for that.

Karsty,  loosen the hose clamps on the yellow part, unthread and remove the red part.  Open the gray water valve and you will have gray water emptying from the tank.

Attachments

• img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 151
The annoying thing to me is that one has to wait so long for service. If they want to be in the business, they should be able to handle the business. Making a customer wait for an extended period of time in the summer just to get an appointment isn't fair to the customer. It's easy to say to go to another dealer, but the problem seems to be everywhere.

It's not unreasonable for a buyer to expect a trouble free RV.

Back
Top Bottom