1 step closer to livin' the dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve N Dee

Last week we entered negotiations to sell off part of our business.  I am a partner in a  CPA firm in the Los Angeles area.  We decided to separate the accounting portion of our practice from the tax portion, and sell off the accounting portion.  That means, working like a dog for the first 4 months of the year doing taxes, but then being able to spend a good deal of the next 8 months in the RV, every year.  I have wanted to have this freedom ever since I got a MH large enough to spend a month or more on the road.  I have to pinch myself to believe this is really happening.  Now I find myself daydreaming about where to go first for a nice long trip.  Maybe it will be to the rally in Moab next year. The timing is perfect for my situation.

Congratulations on taking the first steps to your new adventurous lives.  You can only go up from here.  :D
Moab would be a good plan, then do the entire "Magic Circle."  Perfect time of year for it.

Daisy

Daisy:
  Thanks for the kind words.  Not to sound too much like a newbie, but what is the "Magic Circle"?

Steve

The Magic Circle is a trip all around northern AZ and southern UT taking in all the Nat'l parks in that area.  If you start at Moab, you could go south and visit (first Monument Valley is a must), then both rims of the Grand Canyon, swing to the northwest and take in Zion NP, turn east and go to Bryce Canyon NP then north up to Capital Reef and north again stopping at Goblin SP for an overnighter, or just a look see.  Very unusual rock formations.  Then swing over to the east and south and end up at Moab again and the Arches NP.  Those are all our favorite places in the US, (We have some others further away.)  But that trip will keep you busy for awhile, providing you spend a least a few days at all of them.  Lots of hiking/biking trails in all.  Don't leave your camera behind, as all of them hold some of the most spectacular scenery not found anywhere else.

Or, you could start anywhere along the circle and end up at Moab for the rally.  It's a circle.  Start and finish where you want.  Above all have a wonderful time exploring them all.

Daisy

Richard you are soooo right.  Grand Circle is the correct name.  Don't know where the word magic appeared in my brain, but perhaps I always think of the whole area as being "magical." ;D  It's hard to believe that all that beauty exists anywhere on earth and concentrated in a relatively small area of it.

Daisy

Congratulations on being in a great situation and soon able to start some serious travel.  If I could have worked for 4 months and then traveled for the next 8, I'd be working today.  Well maybe not.  A lot depends on your partners or, in my situation, the guy I reported to.  I'm really glad I retired.  But whatever you do, leave the work behind.  The only down side to that, [you may not want to review the tax law changes after you've been doing your own thing for a few months].  ;) 
For us, Moab depends on the time of year.  The May rally is early enough so it's not too hot.  But if you're going to do it right and spend a month or two, you'll be flirting with some serious heat.  We're also based in Los Angeles and love heading up the coast or the I-5, when we're pushing it, to both Oregon and Washington.  If you enjoy being near the coast, it's hard to beat.  Especially Oregon when it's not raining.  Not sure when that is. 

Gary:
  I always plan to keep up on my continuing education.  I have to do that to keep my CPA license.  40 hours a years.  That will keep me on top of things.  With my job keeping me away from travel the first 4 months of the year, we haven't toured this area extensively because of the heat, which we don't like.  We are like you, spending the majority of our RV time on the west coast.  We have never been able to go any father than Or and WA because of time constraints.  With that hopefully relaxing some, we hope to make it to Montana, a state we have never set foot in.

Steve

Steve,
If you ever travel to Montana, I highly recommend you do it via Coeur D Alene, ID.  That's a beautiful city itself and one we plan on returning to.  From there head up North past Sand Point to Bonners Ferry.  A few miles past Bonners Ferry, take US-2 east for a relaxing drive along a river in a lush forested area.  There's at least one state park off the 2 and it 's a beauty.  Unfortunately I don't recall the name and my wife, who has a better memory, and keeps the log, is not here at the moment.  Enjoy your well deserved travel and keep us posted.

Gary 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom