Stuck in Italy with 6 amps!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stealthbusa

Hi all,

We are doing the 6 Mth tour of Italy and most of the sites offer between 3-6 amps of shore power. I can even run the kettle at this rate not to mention the a/c. My wife and I were looking at the hook up points and noticed that the main breaker is rated at 40 amps and then splits down to 6 amp breakers per hook up input. We had two ideas, one was to buy a 12 amp breaker to slide in place of the 6 amp (we seem to have a box to ourselves most times). The second and this is the big question was to buy another shore power connector and split the cable to the RV. The thinking is if we plug in to two sockets with one cable we would get 12 amps.

Have we been drinking too much Italian beer or would this work?

As always thanks for any replies.

I would go with the new 12 amp breaker. The other way you mention would just be too dangerous.

I respectfully have to disagree with Jerry (Wizard46). Installing a different breaker in the provider's service box might get you in trouble. Running a second/split cable to a second hookup, worst case, you can plead ignorance and just unplug it. Are you in a campground or at a city hookup?

Edit: BTW folks here might not realize that the 6A hookup is 220/240 volts.

I would need to know more about the box.

What you do is use the six amps to charge the on board battery

Then use your INVERTER to put the kettle on.

Or better yet: If you can split out your converter (mine is a plug in model so that is easy) use one cord for it, and one for,,, other things.  and use the inverter to put the kettle on.

My thinking was that two male plugs on one cord would mean that if one was ever unplugged with the breakers on, the pins on it would be hot, very dangerous.

Agree, also definitely talk with the owner before changing his breaker.

Guys much appreciate your responses.

The main driver is to get the a/c working, it's 9am and 100 degrees.

Wizard, are you saying that with the twin plug if one circuit (socket) tripped out this would heat the other plug. My thinking is that it would only be 6amps running the the other socket? Sorry if I am being thick.

With regard to changing the breaker, if we ask then it would not be allowed. However, following the Italian trend of just do it ( or was that Nike?) we are far enough away from anyone for them to check. This is the problem of having an RV in Europe, you can't fit anywhere.

Thanks again all

Jerry's use of the term 'hot' means 'live', and he makes a very good point; Someone could be killed if they unplugged one of the plugs and touched the pins. Given that, I'd prefer to beg for forgiveness (for changing the breaker).

Stealthbusa said:
Wizard, are you saying that with the twin plug if one circuit (socket) tripped out this would heat the other plug. My thinking is that it would only be 6amps running the the other socket? Sorry if I am being thick.

No, it would just trip the other breaker too.

Another thing about fuses or circuit breakers in parallel...

You think that if I put two N amp breakers in parallel I get 2N amps, Right.

Wrong,  Electricity tends to the path of least resistance,  Thus if the paths are not IDENTICAL one breaker will carry more current, perhaps as much as twice what the other breaker carries, and when it trips, the other follows Usually 1/120 second later.

Guys,

The hot Plug scenario sent a shiver down my spine. Think I will go for the larger breaking instead of the prison sentence. Really really appreciate everyone's help.

Now to find an Italian hardware store  :eek:

Gents,

Quick update, just bumped in to a German guy camping next to us. I was talking about the a/c and he said his runs fine. Upon a deeper conversation he suggested that I changed the refrigerator over to gas and then try the a/c. Well hey presto it fired up and I am typing whilst under a cool vent!

I didn't even think about the draw from the fridge, what an idiot! I hope maybe my stupidity will help someone else stuck with 6 amps.

Thank you all very much for your help and advice, my apologies if I have wasted your time.

Ps, the RV draws a huge crowd when we pull up on the Italian sites, especially when I have to reverse into a tight spot. Most peoples jaws drop when I tell them that 34 ft is a small RV in America. God bless Uncle Sam ;-)

For those that don't know the power in Italy is 220volts at 50cycles vs out 120volts at 60cycles.
So their 6amps is closer to 12amps of power here in the states.

As someone who RV's in Europe I can say that the cable "doubler" concept works fine for me! Only had one time where I took down the main post breaker! As another poster highlighted the power is at 230 volts so Euro 6 amps  = US 12 on the coach. Not sure how you are managing the conversion?

sallylillian said:
As someone who RV's in Europe I can say that the cable "doubler" concept works fine for me! Only had one time where I took down the main post breaker! As another poster highlighted the power is at 230 volts so Euro 6 amps  = US 12 on the coach. Not sure how you are managing the conversion?

and they are 50Hz and not 60Hz

Stephen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom