Raising rear of travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaase

I recently moved and when I tried to back my 33' Citation travel trailer into the driveway, I found that the angle between the road and the uphill slope of the driveway caused my trailer to bottom out on the driveway.? I tried coming in from different angles and such and even tried bulding ramps/platforms with no luck.? Is there a temporary way to raise the rear of the trailer at least 6 inches?? Some sort of lift or even air bag type device? The other idea is to lower the rear of my F250 but I think that may cause me to bottom out at the hitch.
I don't want to spend a fortune but at this point I'm out of ideas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

chaase said:
I recently moved and when I tried to back my 33' Citation travel trailer into the driveway, I found that the angle between the road and the uphill slope of the driveway caused my trailer to bottom out on the driveway.? I tried coming in from different angles and such and even tried bulding ramps/platforms with no luck.? Is there a temporary way to raise the rear of the trailer at least 6 inches?? Some sort of lift or even air bag type device? The other idea is to lower the rear of my F250 but I think that may cause me to bottom out at the hitch.
I don't want to spend a fortune but at this point I'm out of ideas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What if you set up a second hitch insert with the ball lower than normal to only use while backing into the driveway. When you arrived home each time, you would unhook the trailer, change to the lowered ball, and rehook. You wouldn't have to bother with the distribution bars -- and just leaving them off would also raise the rear of the trailer. Plus the lowered ball hookup would raise the rear of the trailer by whatever difference there is between that ball and the one you use while towing.

There are a few tricks you could try depending on the suspension your trailer has.. Like air bags, But I think the other suggestions you have been given are better (Drop the equlizing bars to back in the drive)

Another option is skid rollers on the back bumper of the trailer... Let it roll  Camping World and most dealers sell them

Travel trailer?  No problem.  Just remove the WD spring bars before backing in.    The butt of your truck will promptly sag and the butt of the trailer rise.  Back in.    Going out just wait to attach the spring bars till you are out in the street.

That is the way I have been getting up and down the apron of my driveway for 10 years.

I thought about the caster wheels, and even weld them on the frame, but would they support the weight if at least 2 (maybe more) out of 4 trailer wheels were off the ground for several feet?  My attempts have all been without the WD bars, but I haven't tried a drop hitch so that may be next.  Thanks for the tips.  I might just have to combine a few ideas to get where I need to be.

chaase said:
I thought about the caster wheels, and even weld them on the frame, but would they support the weight if at least 2 (maybe more) out of 4 trailer wheels were off the ground for several feet?? My attempts have all been without the WD bars, but I haven't tried a drop hitch so that may be next.? Thanks for the tips.? I might just have to combine a few ideas to get where I need to be.

The issue would be whether or not your bumper and rear frame take that abuse.  If it cannot, you have a mess.  And keep welding torches away from your trailer frame.  I would only trust a trailer fabricator to properly weld a trailer frame.

Try the removal of the spring bars, take it very slowly, and post a lookout to watch your rear frame and tank plumbing.  If that works then you are in business for no cos or hazards to your trailer frame.

Well, since you are not using Weight Distribution bars I have to assume it's a lighter weight trailer, which means the skid rollers (they are not castors) will very likely work nicely

How does the trailer sit when on a level surface (Parking lot) Is it level or is the front higher?

And, can you go to the next size up tire... Go from 10 to 12 or 12 to 14 inch tires

I had to up the tire size on both the trailers I used to pull

He said a 33 footer, Smoky.  I dunno many lightweight 33 footers.  But then I haven't seen everything either.  ;D

Skid wheels are not a good solution for this problem. And there probably isn't a good enough section of frame to mount them anyway, at least no place that would support half the weight of the trailer for several yards.

I agree about the skid wheels on a trailer.

If the spring bar trick does not work, about the only thing left would be to rework the driveway apron.  Bridge it with a plywood ramp reinforced with 4" lumber.  Or something like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom