Grand Cherokee as a toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
topdownman said:
I towed a Grand Cherokee for about 5 years and now tow a Jeep Commander.  Just make sure it has the Quadratrac transfer case and you'll be good to go.  You can't tow with a Selec-Trac.

I tow a Cherokee with Selec-Trac, transfer case in Neutral, transmission in Park

Both our 1999 and 2005 JGC are towed by the motorhome over a combined 65,000 miles.

Great rigs that have excellent towing credentials themselves.

But, the 2005 does have front brake rotor issues.  They seem to warp fairly quickly when using a Brake Buddy supplemental braking system.

We use the BB because we are able to tow either jeep whenever.

2000 GC behind 6.0L GM Class C. Coached worked great as long as I took it easy on the uphills. I installed a 2" lift on the GC for more off-road ability.

Thank you everyone for your input. We found "ours" over the weekend. Bringing it home today. A 2003 Jeep Liberty. I'll post a pic later. 1 step closer to getting out on the road!

topdownman said:
I towed a Grand Cherokee for about 5 years and now tow a Jeep Commander.  Just make sure it has the Quadratrac transfer case and you'll be good to go.  You can't tow with a Selec-Trac.

I believe you have this backwards ....The Selec-Trac CAN be towed flat. The Quadra-Trac can not

-  Stephen

I been towing a jeep Cherokee sport for 10 years. Very happy with the car.We have towed it 112,000 miles.  Two years ago we towed to Moab Utah to meet my brother. he tows a 2003 wrangler. We went 4 wheeling and I went every wher he went. Stayed off the normal roads. What a blast Easy to two. Just put the transfer case in Neutrel and trans in park, turn key back from start one notch and away you go. No fuses to pull or starting the engine every day. 19 mpg. Lot of them out their from $4k to $8K....

stephen44 said:
I believe you have this backwards ....The Selec-Trac CAN be towed flat. The Quadra-Trac can not

-  Stephen

Both can be towed four-down.  We bought a 1992 Cherokee (XJ) in 1993, it had the Select-Trac transfer case and we towed it for four years behind our first motorhome.  We then bought the wife a 1996 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) with the Quadra-Trac and towed that for about 80k miles (11 years) until 2008 when we gave it to our son when he got his drivers license.  We then needed another toad and could not afford the JKU that I wanted so we bought a second 1996 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) also with the Quadra-Trac.  I lifted it 4" along with a lot of other mods and then swapped out the transfer case for a Select-Trac out of a 1994 XJ.  We towed this for a little over two years and about 15k miles before purchasing our 2011 JKU Rubicon in November 2011.

All in all the Cherokees and Grand Cherokees are great toads, especially if you want to get off the beaten path. 

As far as your Liberty I think you will be happy as long as you don't ask too much out of it off-road.  My BIL/SIL just bought a new one a few months ago and I am getting ready to set it up to tow behind their motorhome.  They wanted something to be able to take off-road but not necessarily the extreme stuff.  I think it will fit the bill for them.

Mike.

I'm just back from a one month stay in the South Fork, Co area.  2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport is our toad.  Bought recently just for that purpose, more or less.  I love it.  My rv is a 94 newmar 37ft 460 ford engine.  I really don't even know it is back there most of the time.  No problems whatsoever and fun to drive when not towing it.

Here's the pic as promised. Love the jeep. Forgot how much I enjoyed my CJ back in the day. Happy to have another jeep!

Attachments

• jeep 1.jpg
    jeep 1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 20
  • jeep 2.jpg
    jeep 2.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 19
I just bought a GC Overland Summit.  The manual says to put the transfer case in neutral (push the small button switch down) and put the shift lever in Park. Any battery connection issues to worry about?

I towed a Jeep Cherokee Overland for several years. it towed great with no problems. The weight will drop ypour gas mileage approximately .3 tenths per gal .Great advantgage of 2006 model was the key did not have to br in off position to tow. Enjoy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom