COIL SPRINGS/AIRBAGS-P30 32 foot 1992 Cobra CLASS A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoomer10h

Hi,
I'm new here, and just picked up a 1992 Cobra Monterey 32 (P30 Chassis) with 7.4 V8 auto O/D.

Actually runs pretty darn good after tune up, fixing frig, renewing engine air/c etc.
Rear air bags work, and made the ride quite nice once I figured out it had them!
Problem is, front end sits low, (72K, and air bags blown out). Been reading a lot of blogs, and it seems to go either way, remove the a/bs and install heavier coil springs, or replace all stock coils and air bags.

front weight bias is 2860 left front, 2720 r front (pass) = 5780
Rear 8200
GVW= 13780 with no driver/passenger.

Question is, do I just go with heavy coils and get rid of the air bags, or replace the air bags and coils at the same time, in which case, what coils would someone suggest (weight wise) as the air bags seem to be good for up to 1K #s.

Best place to get these coils and bags?

MH goes down the road great as is, just sits low in the front, and of course sways a bit.

BTW, fridge did not work, needed a new cooling unit, which I got from TN-camping, install was straight forward, took about 2 hours or so, and I was back in business for 1/4 of what they wanted for new unit or new cooling unit, even at a discounted price.

Thanks, hope someone can reply to the coil/air bag issue.
:)
Mike

Hi Mike, I personally like the idea of better coil springs. No more bags to check the air on or replace. Henderson Line Up has the springs you need. Just tell them how much the front of your coach weighs, ready to roll.

Richard

A new spring will give you your ride height again but also note a stiffer spring will give your alot harsher ride.  The factory springs will give you a nicer ride and the air bags are to assist them when needed.

There are numerous places on the web that sell the air bags for a MH:
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/firestone-4100-coil-rite-air-bag-kit-chevy-p30-1963-1999
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/4100cm4.html

I have never found an explanation why Chevy went with coil + air bag rather than coil only - they must have felt it gave a better ride or better handling. Plus, with the airbag you have some control over the suspension firmness by adjusting the air pressure. But now you have a choice, with new coil-only or the coil + air.  Workhorse designed a new P30 air bag that is supposed to be better than the OEM one, but I'm not sure if that's what you would get if buying from an online source. And Workhorse itself is gone now.

Personally, I would go with new air bags.  That's the way it came and the air bags are an easy, cheap fix.  New springs are going to cost you a trip to the shop and you're going to have a much rougher ride.  I replaced the air bags on one of my P30 motorhomes and it was an easy job.  The plus side is you can set them up so that they have separate fills, so you can adjust somewhat side-to-side if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom