Opinions on best 34-40 ft pushers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris1374

I am looking to purchase a used diesel pusher and could use opinions on which brands are the best built, chassis, engine etc. Thanks in advance.

In the early 2000's there were some pretty cool Beaver models in that size range.  But more specifics on budget and other requirments for that specific size could be helpful.

Jeff

Really depends on how much money you want to spend.  You can find some nice used bluebird buses at some pretty low prices, you can find used DPs in $250K range.  The used blue birds are good coaches, practically bullet proof.  If you want to provide a little more info on what type of amenities you're looking for there is a lot of good advice available on the forum.
John

The upper end models from Newmar, Monaco, Holiday Rambler & Beaver (both part of Monaco), Fleetwood & American Coach (part of Fleetwood) are all excellent. Winnebago & Itasca too, in the upper-mid price range. The higher priced coaches are not simply base models with more amenities - they get a better chassis configuration, higher quality wiring and plumbing systems, better cabinetry and upholstery. They also typically have the features that you end up adding onto the lower end models anyway, e.g. surge protectors, variable speed water pumps, etc.

Budget means a lot. In addition to those listed above, there were/are well built coaches from Country Coach (now effectively defunct), Foretravel, and even higher end ones like Newell, Marathon, etc. (I'm probably leaving some out inadvertently.) Probably best to look at a lot of different ones and see what floor plan, amenities and construction suits your taste.

Looking in the 50-70k range. Would you prefer Freightliner, spartan,workhorse,roadmaster or does it not matter?

Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan!!! You should be shopping for this first. Whatever the coach you like has, it will be one of those and you do not live in the chassis. All the chassis's you mentioned are good, and not many coaches came with a choice of one or another chassis with the same 'house'. The exception may be Ford/Workhorse on some older class A and C gas models.

Chris,

Go to the PPl motorhomes website. the units they have for sale include pictures and floorplans. You will find that there are tons of units out there in your price range. And as said before, shop the floor plan, not the chassis. You will see that there are some higher end coaches on their site that fit nicely in your specs. This site might help you find something that may be of intrest so you can start hunting a specific model.

Sparky, 

There are quite a few of them. look at fleetwood excursion 38' I know they have one and country coach made a couple models, one was a mid engine with lower master and upper bunkroom.

I think most mfr's have one in their line.  Why does the berkshire scare you? Forest River is a solid company and is owned by Berkshire Hathaway, Solid backing there!

Just curious that no one mentioned Tiffins . Allegro or Allegro Bus ?
Noticed a beautiful 38' Allegro Bus DP for sale just a few miles from me believe it has a 330HP cat ....

Include the Tiffin Allegro Bus & the Zephyr by all means. Country Coach models too, since he is looking at the used market.

Leaving a brand or model off the list doesn't mean its "bad", but the OP did ask for "best", not just good. There are excellent mid-range diesel coaches as well, e.g. National Tradewinds, Tiffin Phaeton Winnie Journey, etc.,

so many choices...does anyone know a good motorhome camparison site which will tablulate features and compare construction, chassis, ROOF, typical features like aquahot, large inverters/batteries, cat vs cummins, which reminds me...caterpillar builds monster diesels as well as RV size...are they more expensive to repair?

Don't know of such a site but you can look at RV Consumer Group to the extent that might be worth your $$$. Not everyone here agrees with them.

I appreciate all the responses guys. Thanks alot.  I guess all the diesels have good chassis and engine combos. Just didnt want to make a 60k$ mistake.

Back
Top Bottom