Need help figuring Yukon XL Denali towing specs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ak6143

I have a 2007 Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2L and towing package.  Trying to figure out what all of the towing specs are on it so I know what size of travel trailer I can expect to be able to pull.  Any advice would be great.
Thank you
Adam

TrailerLife Towing guides are at http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/ find your year.

Looks like your Denali is 7900 lbs, but double check the specs in the guides. There a lot more folks here with more towing experience, so I am sure they will  post also. But this is MAX you should tow, but cargo in vehicle, where you will be towing, etc. all need to be considered also.

Indeed the TL tables give 7900 lbs as the tow rating for your Denali.  Compare that with the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the trailer that you are looking to buy.  We like to discount the tow rating 10% to allow for passenger and truck cargo weights, including hitch gear.  Therefore, look for trailers with a GVWR of 7110 lbs or less.

In the mountain and Pacific West, you need to allow for the effect of high altitudes on your gas engine and the effect of long, long steep grades out there on your brakes and tranny.  I recommend allowing 20% in the West and looking for trailers with a GVWR of 6320 lbs or less.

Great info.  Glad I found this site. Thank you.  Does it help if I do any mods such as beefier rotors/brakes or airbag suspension etc?
Thank you

ak6143 said:
Great info.  Glad I found this site. Thank you.  Does it help if I do any mods such as beefier rotors/brakes or airbag suspension etc?
Thank you

Well, it will certainly help the parts store.  Whether it will help you is a big maybe.  I certainly would not pursue aftermarket truck stuff on the general theory it would increase tow ratings because it won't.  Brakes for instance.  The best "modification" is simply get in the habit of having them checked out at the start of each towing season and replace marginal pads and cylinders.    Same with trannys.  Step up all truck maintenance to mfr "severe duty" standards. 

Carl do you think I would be ok with the Keystone Cougar Xlite 31SQB which has a dry weight of 7169lbs?  I ran my truck to a local truck stop with a certified scale and if I remove my 3rd row, Im at 6,254lbs with my family and a full tank of fuel.  Seems like this would give me about 550-580 lbs of cargo to stay under the 14000 total limit TT and TV combined.  I think with the things we look to do, that cargo load seems more than doable.
Thanks
Adam

550 lbs of cargo sounds very light to me. The dry weight in the brochure may well be low by that amount, since it does not include any optional equipment or trim. Additionally, you will lose over a hundred lbs of it right away with the propane tanks filled (40-60 lbs) and residual water in the fresh tank and water heater - typically about 10 gallons = 83 lbs.

You will be shocked how quickly the trailer gains weight. Your first trip may be fine but by the 3rd or 4th trip things come to live in the RV as you add cookware, clothing, spare food supplies, grill, chairs, toys... I'll bet the trailer is weighing 8000 lbs or more within 2-3 months of purchase.

ak6143 said:
Carl do you think I would be ok with the Keystone Cougar Xlite 31SQB which has a dry weight of 7169lbs?  I ran my truck to a local truck stop with a certified scale and if I remove my 3rd row, Im at 6,254lbs with my family and a full tank of fuel.  Seems like this would give me about 550-580 lbs of cargo to stay under the 14000 total limit TT and TV combined.  I think with the things we look to do, that cargo load seems more than doable.

No.  That trailer is just plain too heavy for your Denali, even on the flatlands of the East.  It is way too heavy for the west.  Like Gary says weight mounts up really quickly, especially if you want to take food, cooking utensils, tableware, clothing, bedding, personal gear, grills, campchairs, cameras, trailer hitchs, stabilizing jacks, spare tire, propane, fresh water, dogs, cats, kids, wives, ... etc. etc..

Stick with the tow ratings and do not play number games with GCWRs and truck weight.  That will just get you balled up with number games and kidding yourself about cargo weights.

Ok will do.  Im running over to look at a Passport 3220 today to see how that feels.  I think I could make that work and the weight on it is about 1000lbs lighter.
Thanks
Adam

There are an awful lot of trailer models out there.  You are bound to find something that will fit your needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom