Another Roadblock? Fulltiming with an infant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LillyLeigh

Brand new to this site, but I've been lurking for a bit.

DH and I have thrown the idea of fulltiming around for quite some time now and have researched and planned and all around felt like we had figured everything out and were just waiting to actually buy the darn thing and start our adventure.

Briefly our plan was to live in the MH full time at a home base location close to both of our jobs and since we have lots of family spread throughout the state and our jobs give us lots of comp time, end up taking extended weekend trips throughout FL and possibly up the east coast. Then in the summer (or whenever we chose) take a long month to travel and experience different national parks and places we've always wanted to visit in general. Our goal at the same time was to 1) also save money by eventually owning something that can be transported when we decide we've had enough of the town/county/state we live in as my family has been moving around my entire life 2) have the adventure of our lives while we are still young (30's) and generally continue living debt free because we both like our jobs right now, but just don't want to buy a house and commit to a certain neighborhood that can change in a minute.

I feel like we've planned for a lot of variables but the one thing we didn't plan for was an unexpected PREGNANCY! I feel like our plans are never going to take flight and we're going to get stuck in the suburbs with a picket fence life style. I've been trying to research on fulltiming families as this is something that has obviously never crossed my mind but it seems like a lot of these families actually fulltime travel and that's not what we're planning on doing. Does anyone know of any blogs/websites/information out there that may deal with actually raising a child in a MH and vacationing around with them or am I just having to give up my dream now? I'm just so frustrated and disappointed.

Hey, life is all about adapting and overcoming.  ;)  There's no reason your dream is ruined, it just may be a little different then you first thought.

An infant doesn't know any difference between a stick house and an RV, so there's really no issue there.  It's you and the DH who might have to modify how you imagined doing things.

As far as blog/website etc., you're here!  There may not be a huge number of fulltimers in your particular situation, but there are several folks here who camp with babies and young children (I'm one of them) and don't have any issues that are any different than having the baby/kids at home or on any other vacation.

Will this be your first child?  If so, congrats!  (well either way, congrats. :)) Trust me, one way or the other this WILL be the adventure of your lives.  Sometimes adventures take us down unexpected paths.

Kids adapt, as do their parents.  My two cousins, one male, one female, were raised in different countries thru out Europe.  Their parents traveled full time so the kids attended schools in Spain, France, Germany, etc, they grew up with a great deal of self confidence and the ability to feel at home any where.  Raising a child, or children while full-timing IMHO is good for the kids and I think will teach them tolerance for others and less apt to be narrow minded.  Just my opinion.
John

The OP hasn't been back to read the replies  :(

LillyLeigh said:
Does anyone know of any blogs/websites/information out there that may deal with actually raising a child in a MH and vacationing around with them or am I just having to give up my dream now? I'm just so frustrated and disappointed.

I've managed dog shows and graduate school with babies and toddlers-- it can be done.  An RV is just a small apartment on wheels-- so no problem! 

I hope the replies here got to you.  I see I'm replying to an older post but it is a shock to discover a child on the way when you thought you had it all planned out.  Just know that with a few adaptations, like a place to install the infant safety seat, and a place for a small crib, it isn't a horrible lot of changes. 

Kids are really adaptable.

Wow, my hat's off to you! That would be a challenge with a child, let alone a baby. Gladly mine are all grown and have their own I can spoil and then leave with the parents. :)

Scribe1952 said:
Wow, my hat's off to you! That would be a challenge with a child, let alone a baby. Gladly mine are all grown and have their own I can spoil and then leave with the parents. :)

Not really all that big a challenge.  Little ones don't care what you read to them, as long as you use expression in your voice, you can study while sitting in the middle of toys as long as you put your finger in your place when you focus on their faces when they are showing something to you, they babble, you comment and admire, they are happy and abandon you for their toys, and you continue studying.  the dog shows just required a baby wearing device. :)  The big trick is NOT to be too uptight about perfect housekeeping!

You guys do relaize this was originally posted in July, 2012 and was the only post the OP ever posted? Not saying the subject isn't relevant but I don't think you are offering any advice the OP will be following.

For the answer about FT with kids just look at the young couples that work on pipe lines all over the country and live in RVs, they live normal lives but their house has wheels. We attended a wedding a few years back and that young couple had been doing just that for a few years and came back to their home area to get married when they were between jobs.

Denny 

Back
Top Bottom