Dometic fridge doesnt get very cold but the freezer does (Do I need to defrost?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROOFTOP SPECIAL

My fridge doesn't get cold at all now. The fins in the back don't feel cold either.

I do have a decent amount of frost built up in the back of the freezer over the vents. Would frost in the freezer cause the fridge not to work? I don't really know how these fridges or any fridge for that matter work.

I'm assuming I just turn the fridge off with the doors open to defrost? I would have thought the fridge would have a built in defrost? Is there something I can test?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but first and foremost would be if I defrost the freezer will my fridge work better?

Thanks everyone,

Casey

RV fridges do not have automatic defrosting. There are technical reasons for that, but I won't digress here.

The freezer has absolute priority on the cooling capacity, so until it gets cool not much else does. A frost build-up inhibits that, so your first action should be to defrost to get rid of the build-up.

If that doesn't do it, I'm afraid your cooling unit is dying and needs to be replaced. Not the whole fridge - just the cooling unit on the back.

The cooling units are brutally expensive from Dometic.
I priced one from them and it was going to be...hold your hat...$3500 for a side by side with an ice maker.
I bought a better one (supposedly...lots of good reviews) from a Mennonite company in Indiana...paid $1000.

Got the darn thing home and the fridge started working again.  I now have the new cooling unit sitting here as I know the fridge is going to crap out.

Guys,

I wanted to report back in case it may help someone here. I defrosted the freezer and it didn't help.

I started reading some more and read a thread that mentioned fridges placed in a slide-out generally don't cool down as well well because of the way they are vented. This was especially a problem in hot environments like mine (100+ through the summer). I read that some people add fans to help with the venting/dissipating of heat behind the fridge. I was about to buy some 12v fans when I noticed mine had one that was hidden. I traced the wires down and they went to a temp switch on the cooling fins behind the freezer. I bypassed the switch and let the fan run. I put a gallon of water, some other water bottles and of course some beer. This was yesterday afternoon, I just checked the temp of the water and had 38 degrees! This is coming from 68 degrees before.

I'm enjoying my ice cold beer now  ;)

Thanks everyone,

Casey

ROOFTOP SPECIAL said:
Guys,

I wanted to report back in case it may help someone here. I defrosted the freezer and it didn't help.

I started reading some more and read a thread that mentioned fridges placed in a slide-out generally don't cool down as well well because of the way they are vented. This was especially a problem in hot environments like mine (100+ through the summer). I read that some people add fans to help with the venting/dissipating of heat behind the fridge. I was about to buy some 12v fans when I noticed mine had one that was hidden. I traced the wires down and they went to a temp switch on the cooling fins behind the freezer. I bypassed the switch and let the fan run. I put a gallon of water, some other water bottles and of course some beer. This was yesterday afternoon, I just checked the temp of the water and had 38 degrees! This is coming from 68 degrees before.

I'm enjoying my ice cold beer now  ;)

Thanks everyone,

Casey

Casey, how did you access the internal fan? I have one that I think is making noise but I haven't been able to find it. Did you get to it from the access panel outside?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom