from ontario to Lake Louise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindylou2001

Hi .. Im from S. Ontario near London and planning a 3 wk trip out west...family wedding Aug 31 ....I have booked a campground in Lake Louise for 4 days before the wedding so we can tour the area.  On Sat after wedding, Calgary is the destination and I need an rv park for 1 night near SW Calgary (family), the rest of the trip is up in the air we thought about Yellowstone on the way home because the kids should all be back to school.  We also thought about taking the SS Badger across Lake Mich. (still not sure about that cause it is expensive)  We have prev. toured Upper Mich and the north shore of Lake Superior.  Oh yes we have a 27 ft TT and have no problem dry camping if nec......any help would be appreciated

Hi Lindylou, welcome to the forum.  We did that trip this spring, only in reverse.  we used Lake Louise as a hub, and drive the toad to the Ice Fields, Banff, Lake Louise and Lake Moraine.  We drove down to Lougheed Provincial Park.  We liked the Rockies, but asside from the Ice Fields, and Lake Louise a dusk, we were not awestruck.  On the other hand, the Dinosaur Museum in Drumheller is a must see, we boondocked at the Walmart, spent about 5 hours at the museum, then drove to see the local sights, including the Hoodoos, a coal mine, and the badlands.
    Yellowstone was ok, but not worth the drive across Montana to get there, and the Grand Tetons are not as impressive as the Canadian Rockies.  On our last western trip, we came back via Denver and Colorado Springs, both well worth the visit, then onto Dodge City, DesMoine Iowa.
    There is so much to see and do in the western and central States, you can't go wrong which ever route you pick.

Ed

Ed, remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, the Canadian Rockies are stunning, however so is Yellowstone NP and the Grand Tetons in its own right. I for one, would certainly drive across beautiful Montana to get to Yellowstone Park and the Tetons.

Marie

mariekie4 said:
Ed, remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, the Canadian Rockies are stunning, however so is Yellowstone NP and the Grand Tetons in its own right. I for one, would certainly drive across beautiful Montana to get to Yellowstone Park and the Tetons.

Marie

Amen!  Never heard Yellowstone described as "ok" before.  Tetons "not as impressive at the Canadian Rockies", well maybe, but why compare? ... just enjoy!  Is there some traveling tourism contest I'm not aware of which requires awarding points and designating a winner? 

Margi

Marie and Margi, maybe it was just having come off of the super high of Moab, but we didn't find the Tetons National Park spectacular, and Yellowstone did not live up to what we were expecting and had seen written about the Park.  Besides, we never got to see the Big Horns that everyone told us would be there, and that for the past 3 years have been searching for, yet we saw them on our first day in Banff.
    It never is a competition, and is definitely subjective, I was only voicing a personal perspective to a fellow Canadian, who is also an Easterner.  Besides, waking up to 3 to 4 inches of snow in Yellowstone in June took away some of the positive thoughts.

Ed

Lindylou, Just remembered you mentioning using the Badger to cross Lake Michigan. I can highly recommend that trip. We did that in 2010 thought it was well worth the money, it saved us the cost of a about 600 miles of driving out of our way to get to our destination.  In fact in calling to make our reservation (a requirement) we lucked out in getting a special rate.

However, take note, you DO NOT drive your vehicle onto and off the ferry, and have no access to it either during the crossing, but is is quite comfortable on board.

The lower part of Michigan is beautiful and their is a lot to explore there as well.

Marie.

Hi Lindilou....

There is a Campground just before you get to(actually, road right beside it to your right) the Olympics Ski Area in SW Calgary.  We stayed there for three days a few years ago and it was quite adequate (fully hookups being the main amenity).  I can't remember the name of the RV Park, but I'll have a look and try to find it for you.  As you will be travelling the Banff_Calgary section of the Trans-Canada, you really can't miss it.  Just look for the high Skijumping Towers.

Enjoy your trip out west.  We don't have the humidity you would be used to in Ontario, here in BC and Alta.  It can be  quite hot in August in Alberta and BC but the heat is drier, so you only sweat when you work.  (Which, for me, is "turning in a lightbulb!")  ;D

Gord

Back
Top Bottom