Travel "guitars?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

campacrossva

We are a family of six and as much, six musicians.  Lugging around a full-size guitar or keyboard can be quite a chore.  We have often opted for a small, eight stringed guitar (okay.  a mandolin), a dulcimer, irish pennywhistle, bodhrain, and any other small, folksy instruments.  We are really interested in a ukulele.  If you're a novice to any such things, try the uke and the dulcimer.  My wife plays keyboard, yet the dulcimer is easy enough (but has to be tuned to the key of the song)  We just play everything in "D".  Irish music is in "D".  Irish is good for camping.  If you are looking for a travel guitar, try to avoid anything with a laminated (aka plywood) top.  May as well string up the Cheerios.  Martin makes a clever travel guitar that is very small, as do Taylor and Yamaha.  May also want to give a nod to the small Canadian guitars from Art and Lutherie.

Check out Voyage-Air Guitar.
Full-size acoustic guitar, folds in half, fits in a backpack (included).
I have one.  Recommended.
www.voyageairguitar.com

I take a Taylor GS-Mini whenever we go camping or traveling.  Small enough to throw behind the couch or beside the bed in our 27 ft motorhome.  At night I set it on one of the front seats.  Solid spruce top and that great Taylor action.  I can also play it in the front seat of the car while the wife shops the mall.

I have a full sized electric guitar, a full sized acoustic guitar, a full sized bass guitar, a 76 key synthesizer, two guitar amps, and a set of electronic drums in my RV. Plus a 46 inch TV and a 5.1 surround sound system. It is easy to put it all in my RV. I merely removed the dinette set and all the living room furniture and turned the living room and dining room into a music room. Gotta set your priorities.

If I removed all the living room furniture, my other half (and driver) would remove me from the RV  :(

Understood. But, having been happily married for many years, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Tom said:
Understood. But, having been happily married for many years, I wouldn't have it any other way.
I am nothing but jealous Tom, I can't make a relationship last over 48 hours. So when life deals me lemons I make lemonade. :)

The Traveler Guitar Speedster Travel Electric Guitar is a nice little electric guitar to play with.  It's small and lightweight, and it has a nice sounding tone too.  It's a small, but full scale guitar.  It only weighs 3 lbs.  They can be found at Guitar Centers.

Lou Schneider said:
Off topic a bit, but this was forwarded to me a while back - Tommy Emmanuel playing Classical Gas on a well worn acoustic guitar.  I particularly like the way he improvises a tremolo bar about 3:20 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk&feature=fvwrel

Tommy Emmanuel is an incredible guitarist/performer. Just a real person, having loads of fun, playing like he made a deal with the devil. I saw him live twice, I believe in OK City or Tulsa. Best performances I've ever seen.

Oh yeah, to get to the topic I carry a Yamaha acoustic, my Mexican Strat and a little 12 volt Pignose.

a little 12 volt Pignose.

Those Pignose amp/speaker units are neat. Oue Our uke band had a couple when I joined, but we sold them. I'm wishing I'd bought one myself.

Yeah Tom, I really like my Pig Nose.  I had to replace the batteries once (emergency exit light batteries) and upgraded the speaker to an Immenence. Sounds pretty good when you turn up the "Squeal" knob! And from what I hear, the sound is so good that Frank Zappa (RIP) used them in the recording studio at times.

I would have used the Pignose as a monitor with the ukulele plugged in while practicing at home; I sing so loud that I can't hear my strumming on the uke  :(  But it's also a great portable amp for small audiences.

I have a fender system for playing to audiences but, of course, that needs a 110V source. OTOH I could run it off the inverter on the coach or on the boat.

00Buck said:
I take a Taylor GS-Mini whenever we go camping or traveling.  Small enough to throw behind the couch or beside the bed in our 27 ft motorhome.  At night I set it on one of the front seats.  Solid spruce top and that great Taylor action.  I can also play it in the front seat of the car while the wife shops the mall.
  That's a great guitar!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom