Ceiling Vent Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffdubya

1965 Kodiak 15.5' Camper Trailer

This has one crank up ceiling vent, which is not in great condition. The vent cover itself seems to be made of aluminum. What I wanted to do is remove and replace the screen, and then replace the cover with a plastic unit that would serve dual purpose as a skylight.

However, after removing the internal flange/bezel, damn if I can figure out how to pop out the screen. It all seems to be one unit, and not serviceable. Of course, an option would be replacing the entire mechanism, which I would prefer not to do...

Does anyone have any hints on this?

Your unit is a very old unit so my info may not apply!! On mine, the inside trim has to be taken down, 4 wood screws into the ceiling. Once that is out of the way there are 2 more long captive  screws on two sides that hold the screen and its plastic mounting in place. The whole screen itself cannot be replaced as the screen material is melted into the mounting plastic. I suspect, even in my case, that parts for this cheapo unit are no longer available. Only a screen patching stick-on material can be used to repair small holes or cuts.

If the unit mounting measures 14" x 14", the current standard, you can get a replacement unit and/or a plastic cover to replace the metal one you have. If not..... you have a bigger job ahead to replace the unit

Back
Top Bottom