1995 Brave - Towing without brakes on the dolly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandeel

I have 1995 Brave 28' with factory hitch.  Can I tow a Prius with dolly (Prius Curb weight is 2900 lbs)  without a brake controller?  If not is there a "blue wire" in the unit for installing a brake controller...?

There are no CO laws regarding towing cars only trailers....however, if the dolly is now a trailer than the 3000 lb Gross weight law may apply....

Max Vehicle Height: 13'
Max Vehicle Width: 8 1/2'
Combined Length: 70'
Max Trailer Length: Not Specified. Total maximum combined length of 70 ft.
Max Trailer Width: 8'6"
Max Trailer Height: 13'0"
Motor Home Length: 45'
Two Vehicle Max Length70'
Triple Tow Allowed: Yes Total maximum combined length of 70 ft.
Safety Chains Required: Yes
Breakaway Required: Yes
Fire Extinguisher: Not Stated
Flares & Signs: Not Stated
Trailer Brakes Required: 3000 Gross weight requiring brakes.
Towed Cars: No laws regarding.
Wipers: Not Stated
Max Tow Speed: 75
Ride in 5th Wheel: Yes
Ride Pickup Camper: Yes
Ride Travel Trailer: Not Specified.
Weight Limits for Towing without Auxiliary Brakes: 3000lbs.
Maximum Length - RV & Trailer Combo: 70ft.

thanks,
Bill
Colorado...

Edit by John - made subject more descriptive

I believe you answered your own question. However, how safe is it, not very. You will be relying on the brakes of the RV which are already taxed with the unit and all your gear in it. Then there is the issue of a breakaway to consider, Not having brakes on the dolly turns it and the car into a missile. So, I would say brakes are the prudent thing to have.

As far as having a brake controller wire in your coach, I doubt it but look under the dash and if it is there it will be obvious and tagged as such. Running a wire for the controller is very easy to do, drop it out the firewall and along the chassis to the rear. Tie it up and there you go!

Sounds like you are right on the edge and probably over it.  Will there be anything in the car to add weight?  Are you taking the manufacturers weight specs, or have you weighed it?  And how about the dolly?  If it is a trailer, then you need to figure the weight of the Dolly and car.  Probably best to ask the CO authorities how they view what you have so you can be prepared.  Seems like many cops would view a loaded dolly as a trailer.

I found the same one for sale.... Apparently it has a 3500 lb towing capacity....

Engine & Chassis
Chevrolet 454 / 7.4 liter gas engine. ~ Manufactured General Motors Corp., December 1994, VIN #1GBKP37NXS3310363 ~
GVWR 14,800 Lb. Chassis with 158.5" wheelbase. ~ Overall Length 27'10", Height 10'10". ~ 60 gallon fuel tank. (at 10 mpg
this gives the RV a 600 mile range)  ~ Automotive heater. (with heat exchanger for Hot fresh water) ~ AC. ~ Power assist
steering with tilt wheel. ~ Intermittent wipers. ~ Cruise control. ~ Trailer ball hitch, (3500 Lb. towing capacity)

Back
Top Bottom