DAMAGED A/C SHROUD and Possible A/C Unit - NEED YOUR OPINION

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karsty

It seems that my problems with this vehicle are never ending. Let me start at the beginning.

On July 7th I had my vehicle into the Mercedes Dealer (one of the largest in Canada with an impeccable reputation) for some minor warranty work. All went well. I even had a pedicure in their customer spa while I was waiting ... really ... they have their own customer spa.

Before they delivered my vehicle they always wash them ... nice touch. Thank you very much. On delivery I inspected the vehicle and repairs and all seemed well ... who would have thought to check the roof?

Yesterday (July 26th) a friend asked me what happened to my A/C shroud. On examination I found it to be damage. (see photos). I was horrified and racked my brains as to when and where this occurred. I haven't been anywhere since I returned from the Mercedes dealer ... other than a couple of small rides ... no place outrageous ... just road driving.

MY QUESTION >>>

After looking at the pictures can you give me some idea or opinion as to how this damage might have occurred. I have my own idea but I would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks much. Anxiously waiting you thoughts!

Karsten

Attachments

• Top of Shroud - 1.jpg
    Top of Shroud - 1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Top right side .jpg
    Top right side .jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Tope left side.jpg
    Tope left side.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Damage to fins and top - 1.jpg
    Damage to fins and top - 1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Top right side .jpg
    Top right side .jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 62
Jim Godward said:
If the damage is cross ways, I suspect the door to the work area was lowered onto the top of you AC.  Sort of a SWAG.

BINGO!!! Give that man a cigar!!

My thoughts exactly. I have contacted the Mercedes Dealer and spoke to them and followed up with an email with attached photos. They indicate that they are not aware of any incident that might have damaged the unit but she readily admitted that my vehicle was in the service area and the wash station both which have automatic doors. I am told that I will have to speak to the Service Manager who is in meetings all day. She promised he wil call me tomorrow.

I am anxiously waiting his response to see if they will own up to it. I suspect that any service technician will deny responsibility ... we'll see. This dealer is one of, if no the top rated dealer in Canada from my understanding and is certainly one of the largest. They deal with the Sprinter chassis as well and have specific service reps for the Sprinter chassis.

My first RV ownership experience has certainly been challenging to say the least.

Wow Karsty, your luck .....
The overhead doors may show the damages too.

Just got a call from the Mercedes Dealer service manager. We had a pleasant chat. He indicated that he spoke to the technician that did the work but he still maintains nothing happened that he was aware of. All the overhead doors are automatic and apparently have sensors to prevent accidental closing. The service manager did mention that the facilities are monitored with video cameras all over and is he having the tapes pulled for the date and times and will follow my vehicle around during that time and see if the tape shows anything.

I sit and wait.

I have a follow up to my conversation with the Service Manager regarding the damage to my A/C shroud. He claims that there is nothing on the dealer's video that would suggest the damage occurred there. He send me three pictures ... two that show the vehicle leaving the wash area undamaged and the third showing me leaving the dealership. This third one is of such poor quality that I can't tell if there is any damage or not.

What I find interesting is that in the past they have always parked my vehicle in their large drive-in service area when it was ready after service and I would drive out. This time they parked it outside (in front of the smaller grey car in the picture just behind and to the right of me). I never really thought much about it at the time but now I am wondering if they did park it inside and something happened and then they quickly moved it back outside?? Has me thinking.

Anyway ... I asked the dealer if I can see the approximately 10 minutes of video from the various cameras to see for myself. Awaiting their reply. They never showed me any pictures of the vehicle while it was parked in front of that grey car ... only of me driving off. When I picked it up ... I walked around to inspect for damage (which is something I always do) and their cameras should have caught me and the RV during those few seconds.

The drama continues ...

Attachments

• 2011 Sprinter finished car wash.jpg
    2011 Sprinter finished car wash.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 2011 Sprinter finished car wash (zoomed in).jpg
    2011 Sprinter finished car wash (zoomed in).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 2011 Sprinter leaving dealership.jpg
    2011 Sprinter leaving dealership.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 55
Just looking at this thread and realized that I haven't done a followup. I have contact the Mercedes Dealer several times now and they have not replied. I spoke to my brother-in-law and he advised me that he has dozens of these type of A/C shrouds at this place of business. The company uses 100's of the identical Coleman A/C units for their amusement rides. When they replace the A/C units they don't bother changing out the tops and just replace the old ones and generally throw out the new covers. Can you image ... tossing out the new covers that retail for around $220.00!!!

Anyway ... he grabbed me a new shroud with the original stickers still on it and we replaced it ourselves.

As for the Mercedes Dealer ... they have lost my business which over the years would have amounted to thousands of dollars. I have located another Mercedes dealer in the Buffalo, NY area that services the Sprinter vans ... just hope there is not an issue between the Canadian and US chassis that would make it difficult to service for them. My next service will be coming up in another month or two ... we'll see.

If the unit is still cooling this long after the accident, chances are your A/C escaped without puncturing or cracking any of the freon lines.  But I would get a fin comb and straighten out those bent over fins.  That's a significant percentage of the condenser that is out of action.

Lou Schneider said:
If the unit is still cooling this long after the accident, chances are your A/C escaped without puncturing or cracking any of the freon lines.  But I would get a fin comb and straighten out those bent over fins.  That's a significant percentage of the condenser that is out of action.

Appreciate the advise Lou ... I'll get right on that. Didn't even know there was such a thing as a fin comb.  :-[

It has worked all summer for me and seemed to work fine.

Thanks for the tip ... much appreciated.

Lou Schneider said:
You should be able to find a fin comb at any air conditioner service place - or even at a hardware store.  Here's a short video showing how to use it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzwboqN5Cw

Interesting ... I actually went back and looked at the original pictures. I didn't remember just how much and how many of the fins had been bend over. I'll make sure that I get on this before I have to use the A/C unit for the next season. Not sure I can get up there now that the colder weather had descended upon us. I will check with my brother-in-law who is a little more agile than I am at heights and see if I can talk him into going up there and "comb the air conditioner" for me.  ;D

Thanks again. Your advise and assistance is very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom