Bought 2013 Itasca Reyo T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldedit

I allow myself to change my mind, sometimes many times.

After having many doubts about the wisdom of buying anything in this political economic environment, much less a Winnebago product, we went out and traded our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous Mercedes Sprinter van for a 2013 Itasca Reyo T model, which is a small class A on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis.

Why?

We wanted the added living space that the Reyo offers while letting us stay with the Mercedes Sprinter chassis.

After driving the Winnebago class A Vista 26p, the Thor Ace 29.2, the Leisure Travel Unity with the murphy bed, a Leisure Travel Ford C with a murphy bed, a Jayco Seneca 36' and a Holiday Rambler diesel 34', we went back to the dealer and drove a 2013 Reyo.

We were surprised at how much better the 2013 felt and drove than a 2011 Reyo T we drove last winter. As much as we liked the 2006 and 2008 Jaco Senecas we drove, we liked the Reyo better even though it cost more because it was new.

We're planning to drive to Alaska next year, and given the cold and rainy nights that you can experience on such a trip, we just wanted a more comfortable place to hang out when the weather is not so good for biking and hiking, etc. That the unit doesn't require a toad and offers more convenient storage inside and out helped make the sale even though we don't plan to haul a lot of stuff.

Our unit has all of the options but a bed over the cockpit and levelers.

Despite many problems with our 2011 Reyo, we have put 28000 plus miles on it and we have seen a lot of our country. We have ridden thru heavy winds and rain, climbed steep switchback roads, travelled in crowded cities and have enjoyed the comfort of our unit. It is just big enough for the two of us. I still absolutely hate the refrigerator that doesn't get cold enough to my liking and needs frequent defrosting. I do not like the fact that even tho oil change is a snap, you have to pay Mercedes to turn off the service warning light if you do it yourself. The bed is comfy, the TV great, and I like the microwave. The kitchen sink could be bigger. The seats are comfortable. My husband likes to drive it and feels it handles well. We average 15 mpg. It is not perfect, but after a very rocky start we are now able to enjoy it. Have fun in Alaska and let us know how the trip went.

After our first two nights of camping in the Reyo, here are my first impressions:

1. Drives almost as well as the 2006 Roadtrek. The Reyo is heavier and doesn't have the pickup that the Roadtrek has. It takes I-70 through the Eisenhower tunnel slower, but it's fine tooling down from the tunnel West-bound in 3rd gear.

2. Nice upgrade in space and overall comfort. There's actually room for me to do the dishes now. Bath/shower is just big enough to use comfortably. Storage inside and out is just right for the two of us, although we haven't put everything in it's place yet.

3. Took awhile to figure out how to turn the water on in the kitchen and bath. Up and down for hot and cold. Pull the lever horizontally for water. Obvious but we wasted too much time on that one. :)

4. Broadcast TV in Ft. Collins is either very limited or I haven't figured out how to use the antenna yet. Played with the thing for 15 minutes and gave up. Not too important. Haven't tested cable TV yet.

5. Getting ready to go takes much longer than in the B van, which needed all of five minutes. In the Roadtrek B we never filled the water tank. We did on this trip, and that meant we had to drain the tank before taking off. The Roadtrek has only one exterior storage cabinet, which you access through the rear doors. The Reyo has 5 or 6, and they all have to be checked and locked. Dumping with a Macerator in the Roadtrek is quicker than the Winnebago dump, which takes about 10 minutes until you master the system. Winnebago gives you one, short hose without a fixture for the dump.

6. DW drove the 125 to 130 miles home, including through heavy Denver traffic and up and down the steep mountain I-70. She also navigated our steep driveway and barely missed the deck on the house. She loves driving the Reyo just as she loved driving the Roadtrek.

7. Outside mirrors are wonderful. But the one on the right came loose. Since we were passing the dealer on the way home, we got the screws tightened about 40 minutes after the problem appeared. Thanks, Trans West.

8. The Reyo has three or four places where you check breakers and fuses. I wish the manual mapped them out and listed the fuses in each location.

9. The house manual is clear, a little short on details and illustrations or links to film demos that could be posted on YouTube or the Itasca web site. A big thick manual for all of the appliances is provided, and those of us who use it will have a lot better time than those who don't.

10. A couple of mystery warning beeps puzzled our walk through tech and later us. One was related to the park lever, and it appears the other was related to the GPS system.

11. It took awhile to figure out how to set the GPS system to get rid of the nag, "Loretta."

12. I'm amazed that the fridge has to be within half a bubble on the level, which is supposed to be checked at the bottom of the refrigerator. Why do you have to be so level when parked while you can run the unit while driving over hill and dale?

13. The windows are easy to open and close. Also important for those of us planning trips to Alaska where the sun seldom sits at night, the night shades allow you to totally black out the windows before you turn in. We plan to make a black out privacy curtain for the end of the bed.

14. In the model T, a ladder is provided for those who climb into the queen/king bed instead of one of the twins. The steps on the ladder are unfriendly to bare feet. Fortunately, we had a small folded stool that we could use instead of the ladder, which has been sentenced to solitary confinement in a dark, cold closet at home.

15. The swivel front seats are comfortable but a PITA. They're poorly designed and difficult for old folks to use, I'm thinking after listening to DW give them a piece of her earthy mind.

16. Because the "house" is heavy on the Reyo, it only has about 1,350 lb. of cargo carrying capacity. I think we can live with that but won't know until we weight the rig fully loaded.

17. The air conditioner is quiet enough for this light sleeper, so far. Haven't tested the furnace.

18. We got several tourists at the Ft. Collins KOA and at a party. Everyone seemed to really like the Reyo T.

19. We're withholding judgment on the interior cabinet doors, which have hydraulic laches that promise to work better than the light latches we had in the Roadtrek and saw on the non Winnebago products we inspected. We'll put rubber mats and bars in the cabinets to help stuff stay put when we're on the road.

20. The 2013 Reyo's LED lights are great.

21. There are three separate keys for the exterior cabinets, which is another pain.

My thread on the 2006 Roadtrek RS Adventurous is here:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=27398.0;topicseen

See the 2013 Itasca (Winnebago Via) Reyo here:

http://www.goitasca.com/products/2013/reyo/

What are the advantages of the Reyo over the Navion/View? I'm trying to decide between them.

The Reyo gives you more living comfort and storage than a Navion/View. It also has a king bed instead of a corner bed, which just wouldn't work for our spoiled old bodies.

At the same time, the Reyo is more expensive to own and maintain. And I think the Reyo will be a bit more sluggish than the Navion/View. Also, Winnebago sells more Navion/Views than the more expensive Reyo/Vias. It probably will be easier to sell or trade the smaller Navion/View than the Reyo/Via.

Oldedit.  I met you in Ft. Collins this July.  Your Reyo was one day old.  I own a Mercedes Sprinter Airstream Van and was parked nearby.  My name is Chip (roboat2).  You showed my wife (Anita) your beautiful purchase.  What pain you have caused.  (Kidding.) 

Have you had a chance to break in your Itasca Reyo?  Do you have any thoughts for me.  I'm under pressure...fun pressure.  But, it looks like we may make a trade if you give us the go ahead.  What advise/experience can you share with us?

Chip

P.S.  I'm new to forums.  Struggling.

Welcome Chip, we were all new once, to RV's and forums.  The forum is a great way to get lots of info in a short amount of time.  Have a look around and ask any questions you can think of. You will get lots of opinions!

Thank you, Sarge, for your reply.  It's a miracle I found it.  I've been struggling with navigation in this forum.  It's probably due to my inexperience with forums in general. 

My objective in joining is to learn about the Itasca Reyo or the Wnnebago Via.  I currently own a 2011 Mercedes Sprinter Airstream Van purchased in November 2011 (13,000 miles).  I told my wife that this was the biggest RV ever made.  It didn't take her long to discover the truth.  Our van is terrific.  Very well made, but it is just a little small for us.

Oldedit parked near us in Ft. Collins with his new 2013 Reyo.  That did it.  So, now I'm thinking about trading.  I've heard that the Via and Reyo are too big for the Sprinter frame.  Is it true?

Cordially,

Chip - Kansas City

Roboat2 said:
..I've heard that the Via and Reyo are too big for the Sprinter frame.  Is it true?..

That's a new one on me  ???.  The Sprinter chassis has a weight rating from the chassis manufacturer that the Winnebago engineers/designers have to work with.  The main variable of interest is how much CCC or now OCC is available after the house is built on the chassis.

And, welcome aboard!

Roboat2 said:
Oldedit.  I met you in Ft. Collins this July.  Your Reyo was one day old.  I own a Mercedes Sprinter Airstream Van and was parked nearby.  My name is Chip (roboat2).  You showed my wife (Anita) your beautiful purchase.  What pain you have caused.  (Kidding.) 

Have you had a chance to break in your Itasca Reyo?  Do you have any thoughts for me.  I'm under pressure...fun pressure.  But, it looks like we may make a trade if you give us the go ahead.  What advise/experience can you share with us?

Chip

P.S.  I'm new to forums.  Struggling.

Welcome to the forum, Chip.

It was fun giving you a tour of Rollin Home Again as DW calls it.

At this point, I think the Reyo/Via is a great way to go. Buy the one that gives you the features you want at the best price. I also bought from Trans West, which also is in KC, because it seems to be a very popular service center for owners of all kinds of motorhomes.

Our limited experience with the Reyo on the interstates, in neighborhoods and going over the continental divide via the Eisenhower tunnel is that the Sprinter van chassis easily handles the "house". Indeed, the Sprinter drives and feels a lot better than any Ford C or A that we test drove in recent months. And it's quieter and more fun to drive than the Super C Seneca 36 and a 30' diesel pusher we drove.

Comments I'm seeing on the Yahoo Groups Reyo/Via board from those who down sized from 40' Class A motorhomes seem very positive.

We've just upsized to what we would have downsized to if we had upsized to a bigger rig when we first bought a motorhome. :)

To us, the Reyo is perfect for folks like us who spend a total of two to four months traveling in our motorhome, don't want to tow, want some creature comforts and storage and want to both be comfortable driving. The 14 to 16 mpg fuel economy is a plus, too.

We have a 2010 R and are averaging over 10,000 miles/40 nights a year.  Ours has been relarively trouble free.  I perform most maintenance and repairs myself.  In 3 seasons,  if has made only 2 trips to our dealer.
In response to the posts regarding refrigerator performance, check the door seal around the door bottom as we found ours  unseated from the groove.  Also we start it on gas as it gets much colder quicker,  then shift to auto when we leave.  Don't overstuff the fridge space since there is  No circulating fan.  We have gone 2 weeks without defrosting.

We just completed our first long trip?4,500 miles in just under five weeks from Denver area to Detroit area, Soo Locks, Green Bay, St. Paul, Sioux Falls, Custer, Casper and home.

We're very happy that we bought the 2013 Reyo T. It's a great drive, good fuel economy, nice hotel, decent kitchen and plenty of storage. I can carry three to four bikes if I remove the front wheels and seats. Took one this trip. Rode it once.

At this point, we have only a couple of minor punch list items and maybe one big one if the Flexsteel swivel seats don't stop groaning. We're testing dry lubricants on the spring next to the foot lever that lets you raise and lower the seats before swiveling them. Too cheap locks have been an annoyance and one will be replaced in a couple of weeks.

Mileage ranged from 16 to 18 from Denver to Omaha while we ran down the mountains before nice tail winds. Across Iowa, Illinois and Michigan, we got 14.5 to 15.5 mpg, depending on speed, wind and idling times. When we headed west, mileage dropped, especially in the face of strong winds across SD where we got 13.2 mpg at 58 - 60 mph. Generally, we drove 60 to 67 but sometimes did 70 and even a bit higher where the winds were minimal.

Broadcast and cable TV work great. Haven't hooked up the Direct TV, yet.

Hooking up utilities takes only 5 to 10 minutes. Unhooking takes 10 to 15 minutes, including dumping, which is very easy.

We used the air conditioner only 2 or 3 nights. It's noisy for this light sleeper. But it works fine.

The furnace (on electric) also is noisy and cycles on an off too often for us. So we use a small room heater, which we set on a table or the kitchen counter when outside temps are around 40 to 50. We often didn't setup the heater and woke in the morning with inside temps of 50 or so. It didn't take the furnace and heater long to make things comfy.

A table comes with the Reyo. It can be setup in front of the sofa or the swiveled front seats. We used it once and then settle for a light folding table that is a bit smaller but much easier to handle.

We found the bathroom to be roomy enough as long as we didn't use a pretty roomy shower. We showered in the campgrounds' facilities so we wouldn't have to worry about mopping up shower water.

After 2.5 years of camping in our Roadtrek Adventurous, which also is on a great Mercedes Sprinter diesel chassis, we trave relatively light. So storage is more than adequate even though we carried both summer and fall clothing and lots of shoes and boots.

One big benefit of driving a 25-footer is that you don't have to invest $5,000 in levelers. You just move the vehicle around the pad until you're relatively level. Perfect isn't necessary. We put plastic leveling blocks under the wheels at two campgrounds. I recommend carrying at least 10 of the blocks and now carry 18.

If you read the manuals cover to cover, especially the summary manual provided by the manufacturer, camping in the Reyo is pretty easy and simple.

What this trip proved to us is that the Reyo T will be a good ride to Alaska next year. We're happy campers?so far.

Remember in the "old days" when you read stories about people stopping drivers to look at their new model cars, which looked significantly different every model year until manufacturers got smart?

Since we started camping in the Reyo, we've gotten lots of stares, comments and visits from folks at gas stations and restaurants as well as from fellow campers. DW is quite the tour guide and sales lady.

It's fun to drive something that's a bit different. Folks seem to like the Reyo, and a few said they want one.

Oldedit said:
..Since we started camping in the Reyo, we've gotten lots of stares, comments and visits from folks at gas stations and restaurants as well as from fellow campers. DW is quite the tour guide and sales lady...

We get a similar reaction with our built-up rock crawler Rubicon - sometimes it's fun to be the center of attention  ;) .

Oldedit, thanks for the very thorough reviews.  You're making me really want to go look at one.  Darn you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom