What Steps Have You Taken so Authorities Know who to contact

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Traveling and Living in a RV presents some challenges for authorities if it becomes necessary to contact family or friends in case of an emergency.  Many of us park our RV and then explore, go shopping, or take in events in the area we are parked in.  Should an emergency occur while we are away from the RV and we are not able to comunicate how do the authorities know who to contact?  How are they suppose to know that we have an RV let along know where we parked it?  Many of us have contact and emergency information available in the RV but what if we are not at the RV?  In many cases such as ours, our drivers license is Texas and the address is on that very long street called Rainbow Drive

We have made up business cards that Give the following information:

1. We are traveling in our recreational vehicle which is parked at.  "A blank space is provided so we can enter current information where the RV is parked".
2. Our names and our phone numbers in case we are not together if an emergency occurs.
3. Names and Phone numbers of who should be contacted in case of emergency.(in our case we have listed our youngest son and our daughter).

One one side of the card we have printed in large red letters "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY PLEASE SEE CONTACT INFORMATION ON REVERSE SIDE"

Sam & I each carry a card with us that we have updated to reflect the latest informatio as to where we parked the MH.  We also have an updated card in the Grand Cherokee.

What actions do others in the framily take to insure authorities have proper contact information in case of an emergency either while we are at the RV or away from the RV?

I must admit I haven't given any thought to that issue Ron. I usually have my driver's license in my wallet which is almost always in my pocket. But that doesn't provide any contact info for relatives. Chris often forgets to take her purse so, if we get separated, she has no ID whatsoever.

I think I'll print some cards and keep them in the coach.

Tom

In many cases like our own the drivers license address wouldn't make very easy to get a hold of anybody in an emergency. If while traveling away from the MH say in the toad and an accident did happen it might be in our best interest if friends or family could be contacted quickly.

Hi Folks,

I'm a slow reader so I'm just now getting around to this thread.  Here's my input on the subject.

At all times I carry a "Vial of Life" in my wallet.  It can be easily seen by anyone opening my wallet.  It is a duplicate of the Vial of Life which is attached to our refrigerator door at home and on a magnetic holder immediately inside the door of the motorhome, next to the entry steps.  It has all of the necessary V.O.L. info emergency personnel would need in the event I became unable to convey that information.  The V.O.L. has been discussed at length in other forums so I'm confident most folks here are aware of it and its content.

As an additional step when we are traveling away from home I put a Post-It? note in my wallet where it can be seem immediately on opening my wallet.  On the note I indicate the campground where my motorhome is located (name, address and phone number).  I also state that my wife and my dog are located at the motorhome., and provide her cell phone number.  Everytime we change locations that note gets changed.  If on a several-day trip to a particular destination the note would include our date and place of departure, as well as our planned destination and ETA.

Hope this helps. 

Sounds like you have a good program going George.  The V.O.L is a good thing.  I think carrying information for emergency contacts is something often overlooked.

Hi Ron,

It's not just contact information that is important.  It's all the other things emergency personnel would need to know ASAP.  Example: medications we're taking.  Even our children do not know what medications we're taking.  If that info were not in our V.O.L. someone would have to locate the containers for them.  That could take hours -- if not days -- for a non-family member to locate.  That info is on my V.O.L. and is accessible in seconds: just look in my wallet.  Location of medical and dental records is another piece of potentially-vital information.  The more fragile the health of the person the more important is is to have that information more immediately available.  Not a big deal in my case as I'm in pretty good health for an ol' man  but for my wife it could mean life or death under certain circumstances.

Carry vital medical information with you at all times.  Better safe than sorry!

George

I see you've also found one of the attention grabbing tools to convey your very important message  ;D

Back
Top Bottom