Crosswind Issues with Sprinter Chassis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mkroes

We are downsizing from a very aerodynamic coach, The Dynamax, and considering a Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis - either Pleasure Way, Airstream, Road Trek, or Leisure Travel.  Have concerns about the effects cross winds might have on such a trim, high body - especially when driving through the Dakota's or Kansas, where winds in the past have whipped our prior Class A chassis vehicle.  Fortunately the Dynamax can handle the wind.  Can anyone advise as to their impressions of their Class B coach handling in strong cross winds? 

Mkroes said:
We are downsizing from a very aerodynamic coach, The Dynamax, and considering a Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis - either Pleasure Way, Airstream, Road Trek, or Leisure Travel.  Have concerns about the effects cross winds might have on such a trim, high body - especially when driving through the Dakota's or Kansas, where winds in the past have whipped our prior Class A chassis vehicle.  Fortunately the Dynamax can handle the wind.  Can anyone advise as to their impressions of their Class B coach handling in strong cross winds?

I own the Winnebago ERA which is on the Mercedes/Sprinter chassis. It stands 9' 11" high and 6' 4" wide. I have owned my ERA for almost 9 months now and have put 21,000 KM (12,600 MI) on it during that time. In a cross wind there is some rockin' and a rollin'. Not real bad ... depending on the wind I suppose. I have only had one incident where it was really pretty strong. In fact you can view a video on YouTube that I posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP-TKPe2Ruc&list=UUlHW0ick4agNexISRDzZLdA&index=8&feature=plcp

I haven't travelled through the Dakota's or Kansas yet ... but I have travelled through some pretty wild and windy winter storms up north here and didn't have any real concerns. I guess it's a case of commons sense prevails and I slow down if it gets real windy.

So far I have not had any concerns with the cross wind that has made me regret buying this RV.

Hope this helps.

Karsty

Wow, Karsty!

That looked like some storm.  Were you driving one handed or was someone else taking the video?

It was an impressive video, nontheless.

..............Rocky

Rok said:
Wow, Karsty!

That looked like some storm.  Were you driving one handed or was someone else taking the video?

It was an impressive video, nontheless.

..............Rocky

Shhhhhh ... don't tell anyone. I was using my iPhone video to take this video. The wind was pretty strong so I was actually holding the camera and had one hand and one arm/wrist on the wheel. I am looking for a camera/iPhone holder of some kind that I can attach to the dash area so I can take videos on occasion. Anyone have any ideas??

A Google search on iphone car holder turns up lots of choices.  I like the beanbag style mounts as opposed to the suction cup type as they're easier to relocate quickly.

Ned said:
A Google search on iphone car holder turns up lots of choices.  I like the beanbag style mounts as opposed to the suction cup type as they're easier to relocate quickly.

Thanks Ned ... but I am looking for a specific one. It is in fact the bean bag mount but has a tripod screw built into the bag so I can screw a small camera and/or the iPhone onto the mount and place it on the dash(or anywhere I suppose) to take video while I'm driving. I found it once but can't seen to find it again. I'll keep looking. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom