TV built in above dash--how to get it out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boaterkathy

We just got back from a 3 week trip. Our TV mounted above the dash was working when we left.  The first night we stayed out, it only showed "snow" when we hooked it up.  The bedroom TV worked.  We tried auto program, but no luck.  We don't know if, with the bouncing of traveling, the cable came unhooked in the back orwhat.  We unscrewed the screws underneath and can get the "frame" around it pulled out a little on the bottom,  but that's it.  Neither of us is handy. :-[  My husband usually "fixes"things using brute force, and you can imagine how THAT turns out!  :eek: ;)  Any hints for us before he decides to rip it out of the hole?  We would like to put an LED TV in there anyway, so if it still works when we get it out, we will put it in one of the basement compartments for watching outside.  HELP!!!

OK, here's the deal....I took two pictures, got them on my desktop, tried to put them in as an attachment, and it said my pictures were too big. ::)  Tried to figure out how to make them smaller, my computer froze ,and I had to take out the battery to get it going again.  The thing is......we're not too handy with computer stuff either!  ;)  My husband not at all!!!  But hey, we are both really, really nice people! ;)  :)

Right click on the photo and select "Open with...  Paint". Once the photo is open click on the Resize button on on the toolbar and change 100 to 50 in one of the boxes. Save As the image and try posting it again.

Most newer RVs have a video selector box located in one of the closets. It is about the size of a cigar box. You only might need to push a button to get it to work.

boaterkathy said:
The thing is......we're not too handy with computer stuff either!  ;)  My husband not at all!!!  But hey, we are both really, really nice people! ;)  :)

That's funny.....I can relate. I usually resize pictures to 800 x 600 pixels (not really sure what a pixel is) and that seems about right. I use an Adobe program, but like Tom says, I think almost everyone has "paint". Once you do that, you were on the right track, just click on the attachments again and do what you did before.

Easy Thumbnails is a free program I have used for years. It's super simple, even I could figure it out.  ;)

Easy Thumbnails Software -- Free thumbnail utility from Fookes ...
www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

Water Dog said:
I usually resize pictures to 800 x 600 pixels (not really sure what a pixel is) ...
For what it is worth...
Pixel = Picture Element. It is the smallest, controllable element of a picture.
Bob

Ok, trying it again.  There was no resize, but there was a stretch, so I changed that from 100 to 50  both ways.  We'll see what happens.

Attachments

• tv 001.jpg
    tv 001.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 110
Hope that first one isn't too small now.  I'll try doing the second one at 75%.  Thanks zzyzx!!!!!  Couldn't have done it without you!!!!  Embarassing to admit we are both retired teachers and have trouble with computers! :-[

This second picture is from the side.  That is all the farther we could get it out.

Attachments

• tv 002.jpg
    tv 002.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 54
  • tv 002.jpg
    tv 002.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 21
Thanks everyone for your help so far!  Dearmissmermaid, I did download that easy thumbnails(I can even have trouble downloading at times).  Appreciate the suggestion.

Kathy - Your photos are still too large to be viewed easily in a web browser. You will need to open them up in Paint again and click the resize button. Then click on the Pixels button and put 800 in the top box. Did you look for the video switcher?

Dang, I was so proud of myself, too.  Tried that Easy Thumbnails this time, but wasn't sure what I was doing exactly.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

Attachments

• tn_tv 001.jpg
    tn_tv 001.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 58
Kathy, I would take something like a flat putty knife and just slide it from the bottom up the sides between the trim and the box to see if you can locate where the other attachment points are. It may be high on the sides or even across the top. If there is room to raise the whole thing up, you could try that also....could be over a hang strip on the top.

Rather than "resize" under "image" in the paint program, go to "image", then "attributes" and type in 800 and 600 in the two boxes in the middle that says "pixels"

Kathy - Now they are too small. They are only 113 x 200. They need to be in the 800 x 600 range. Once you get it figured out you will be able to post images when ever you wish.

After you upload the photos to the forum. Go back to the thread and click on the photos and see how they look in your browser. The first ones were way too big and the last ones were way too small.

Here is what they should end up looking like:

Attachments

• tv 001.jpg
    tv 001.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 55
  • tv 002.jpg
    tv 002.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 39
After seeing the pics that Tom resized for you, my guess is that there may be screws through the sides of the inside of the adjacent cabinets holding the top in.

Yay, we got it out!!!  But boy, that thing is heaaavy!  :eek:  Plugged it into one of the basements and it works great out there.  We plugged the small one that we had in the basement into the now gaping hole, and it has the same problem, so it must be something in the "millions" of cables, etc. that are there.  We won't be messing much with those, because we would probably make things worse.  Tightening the connections didn't help.  My son is a knowledgeable cable guy, but he lives a ways from us.  Maybe they could come visit us this weekend! (please, please, please!)  Now I guess we will be shopping for a new TV.

Thanks for all your great help and suggestions!!!  I knew you experts could help!

Food for thought!!

Were you trying to watch via cable or using the antenna?? If by the antenna, did you put it up and point it? Did you turn on the amplifier? Do you have a digital to analog converter box? (Most "over the air" (OTA) stations converted to digital last year and now require a converter box...) Has someone accidentally changed the "video selector" keys (if equipped) since the last time you used it??

Back
Top Bottom