SA2005 Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

Please help. All of a sudden when I try to calculate a route in SA2005 it will not follow roads. It wants to go in a straight line, which would be great if I were flying but not driving. Anybody have any idea what6's wrong?
Thanks

??? I can't believe with all of the people on the forum using SA, no one has come up with an answer to my problem. Think I'll try the old forum.

That happened to me in SA2004 recently Bruce. All I did was insert a few vias and all was well, but I don't know if I "fixed" anything per se.

Sorry I can't help you Bruce.  I quit buying SA after SA9.  Never was overly impressed with Delorme but was even less impressed with the versions after SA9.  Surely somebody may be able to help or they just haven't run into the problem.

Have you appied the magnetic north fix yet, Bruce?  It is supposed to be applied to all Street Atlas 200x versions on/after Jan 1, 2005. That affects some functions (e.g. Find) and perhaps is defeating your trip routing too? If you don't have it, download form Delorme web site.

Interesting Gary. I just fired up SA2004 and, unlike the last time I used it, the Route function worked OK. But I went ahead and downloaded the Magnetic Declinationupdate file anyway. Tried to install it and got a message saying "Already updated SA2004". I'm pretty sure I didn't update it, but there again my memory isn't too good these days.

I'm having all kind of weird problems with this version. However, the errors are really getting to me. For example, it has SC  Hwy 278 running with SC Hwy 170, which they don't do and go to entirely different areas (Buford,SC and Hilton Head) and just yesterday when I used it to go over to Savannah to a RV glass repair spot - it laid out a route on a non-existent ramp off the new Hwy 17 bridge. I knew from previous visits that the ramp didn't exist so I manually changed route to get to my planned destinatiion. When returning I came through downtown for a look at it after 30 years absence and by accident came upon the bridge pylons for the ramp that had been poured but work never progressed beyond that stage; apparently some years ago since the areas was grown with brush and even trees. I don't think upgrading from SA 9 was worth it.

I have already downloaded and installed the magnetic declination update. Tried inserting vias, but that didn't work either. I have to agree with Blueblood...I am not impressed with the either accuracy or the map quality of SA. For example, I plugged in  the GPS and ran both SA and S&T at the same time while sitting outside my camper in the Bradenton Encore. The S&T had me exactly located in my site and even showed the roads in the campground. SA had me in the wrong location and didn't have the campround streets nor did it have the new street leading into the campground. The only reason I am trying to use SA is for the voice commands but I think I'll deep six SA and stick with S&T. If Microsoft ever comes out with a voice version of S&T I think they'll corner the GPS mapping market. The only other program that could compete is Copilot but it's so much more expensive. IMHO, with the rebate, S&T is only $14 and the best bargain in anykind of commercial software there is.

Anyhow, I think I'll shoot off an email to SA support and see if they can fix the problem...it has me bugged now. Probably something sinple that I have overlooked.

I don't think much of any of the SA 200x versions myself, but the SA9 maps are getting far out of date. Lots of interstate exit have been renumbered, for example. 

I'm going to try Streets & Trips myself. Since I have to be re-trained to go from SA9 to SA2005 anyway, I can learn S&T just as well.

I've been using the SA maps for years and am always amazed at the inaccuracy.  They still don't have the 102 here in Mesa correct after at least three years.  That's a major bypass around the city, and now it's being expanded.

They still show the Taylor Street bridge in downtown Chicago.  Hasn't been there in decades and decades.  The streets around the neighborhood where I lived were all wrong, and the neighborhood was built over the old Dearborn Station rr tracks back in the 70s.  No, maybe late 60s.  These are major downtown neighborhoods, not little lakeside developments 45 miles out in the country. 

I don't even want to talk about the nutty route they gave me from Portland ME to Belfast, going down unmarked roads.  Probably the folks at Delorme knew all these backwoods routes, but I sure couldn't guess what they meant.

I got the new Topo from Delorme.  They're starting to include routing in that software now, so you can get some idea of terrain on a trip. 

S&T is $15? 

--pat

When using SA2005, is the default GPS routing  "Route Up"  or "North Up" ?  I see the compass icon on the right, but cannot find the setting for "Route Up".

How is that preference set?

GPS | Options | Rotate Map in GPS Direction

Only with SA2005 does our m/h ford rivers without sinking!  ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom