1 Year ago today I Retired from the Navy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Campfire RV

Today is my one year anniversary since retiring from the Navy. It still seems like it was just yesterday that I was onboard the USS Midway saying my goodbyes and receiving my shadowbox and hearing the Boatswains whistle and departing bells for the last time of my career. I completed 20 years and 2 months of service in the Navy, traveled much of the globe, received money to pay for college, training to prepare me for my next career, and many great friends and mentors. Now it is time to explore more of this great nation in the MH on land with my wonderful wife, daughter and extended family (Mother-in-law & Sister-in-law). Sometimes camping reminds me of being onboard ship when the darkness sets in with the complete darkness, skies lit up with stars and the light breeze. Now all I need to do is complete 16 more years in the Federal Service to enjoy a the luxuries of a full retirement to do what I want when I want how I want.

Josh

Another big thanks for your service and commitment to our country Josh.

Welcome to the club, Josh.  Enjoy the fruits of your (and your family's) sacrifices. Those danged cruises seemed to stretch out forever, didn't they.  For the non-Navy folks, a Navy cruise is not quite the same as a Carnival Cruise or Royal Carribean Cruise.  BTW, Josh, the Midway was my first ship back in '62 before she got BIG.  I was a young 3rd class with VAH-8 (A3D whales) on that cruise.

[quote author=Molaker]
  BTW, Josh, the Midway was my first ship back in '62 before she got BIG.  I was a young 3rd class with VAH-8 (A3D whales) on that cruise.
[/quote]

Tom, I was on the USS Hancock in the late '50's, but did a couple of 2-week squadron qualification cruises on the Midway, the Essex and the Kearsarge.  All were Attack Carriers at that time.

May God bless you for your service to this great nation.
Like you said, there is nothing like a ''cruise'' on a Navy ship.  I use to sit out on deck of the ''Norton'' and listen to the heart beat of the engines and watch her slice the ocean with great ease and purpose.  Sometimes on a Navy ship of a thousand man crew you can sit all alone topside and no one is there except you and the ship and the sea and God.  Yep, been there and done that on a sea as smooth as a mirror as far as you could see.  The only ripple was the bow wave on a mirrored ocean.  I have also seen the ocean running fifty feet tall and mean as a mad mother in law in a North Atlantic storm between Iceland and Scotland.
Everyone should be ''military'' for at least three years to taste the friendships and the fears and the lonely and the happy, the good bys and the welcome homes and be in the greatest brotherhood in the world by being a Veteran that has given of themselves in service of this great nation.    Again, many thanks for your service..................cj............. 
If we ever meet, I will buy the first round sailor......

Veterans made this nation possible........ some died to make it possible ..... think about it...cj...

Just Lou said:
Tom, I was on the USS Hancock in the late '50's, but did a couple of 2-week squadron qualification cruises on the Midway, the Essex and the Kearsarge.  All were Attack Carriers at that time.
Yes, but the Midway got a refit of a huge flightdeck after I was on her.  Her flightdeck went from 2.8 acres to about 4 acres in 1966.  She eventually took up residence at Yokosuka as the forward deployment carrier group.  One of these days I've got to get to San Diego to see just how big she got.

Molaker said:
Yes, but the Midway got a refit of a huge flightdeck after I was on her.  Her flightdeck went from 2.8 acres to about 4 acres in 1966.  She eventually took up residence at Yokosuka as the forward deployment carrier group.  One of these days I've got to get to San Diego to see just how big she got.

The Midway started life as a larger ship than the Essex Class (Essex, Hancock, Kearsarge, Yorktown and  20 others).  About a 27000 ton to 45000 ton comparison.  The Midway displaced about 74000 tons by the time she was decommissioned.

Bet that year went really fast. And now you can have fun traveling in your RV.

Thanks for your service, even if you were Navy :) (It's ok, my Dad was Navy, too, back in WWII)
Wendy
USA 1975-78

Thank you everyone for the comments and history about the USS Midway. There was one more sailor that retired onboard the USS Midway with me from my unit and it was well worth the celebration. That was the first time my parents ever stepped onboard a Navy ship and they were amazed at the size. My dad was really amazed with how extensive and detailed the retirement ceremony was. We had about 50 visitors attend the retirement ceremony that were invited and many others that happened to be onboard to tour the ship that day. Maybe one of these days I will take a Carnival cruise to enjoy the sites and sounds of the open ocean again without having to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom