Down sizing is more painful than we expected.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arne

Our long term plan has been to down-size in a few years.  However, at the GNR  we  were offered a trade on one of Winnebago's factory demo models  was too good to refuse.  So now we are the proud owners of a brand new Access 31WP Premier with (almost) all options.  Of course we realized that we would have less room for our stuff.  We have been forced to make brutal decisions about what to keep and what to dispose of.  Fortunately a relative with a pickup truck met us last Saturday and relieved of much of our surplus (including two Lazy-Boy recliners).

What I had not anticipated was how much less sophisticated the Access systems are than the Adventure systems.  For example there are no wall mounted light-swiches.  Each fixture is individually turned on and off.  My present challenge is to find a way to connect an external satellite dish to my DVR.  There is an external connector for cable TV, but not for satellite.  (There is one on the roof).  In fact there is no documentation that I can find about connecting either a roof or external dish to the system.  An other frustration is the my preset DVR (722) is too large to fit in the video cabinet. 

On the other hand, I have already built a 30 by 60 computer desk that replaces the original equipment sofa.

Arne

Winnebago has been busy "de-contenting" or "value engineering" the units for a few years.  Your lack of switches and wiring is apparently an example (assuming previous units at that price points had those features.)

I have no desire to downsize the Horizon, when we decide it's too big, too much trouble, too expensive, etc, time to sell and stop RVing.  I am way too used to the Horizon - its storage space, kind road manners, the many amenities, etc.

I have no desire to downsize the Horizon, when we decide it's too big, too much trouble, too expensive, etc, time to sell and stop RVing.  I am way too used to the Horizon - its storage space, kind road manners, the many amenities, etc.

And too many modifications :)

John, I'm with you.  When we no longer like, need, can afford, etc. the DP, it will be time to quit RVing.

I remember when we were happy in a little Palomino pop up camper.  I guess we get spoiled as we get older  ;)

If you use an external satellite dish most of the time you can move that external cable that currently connects to the video switch to your satellite receiver.  That's what I did on on our Access.  We use OTA or satellite so haven't missed the cable... which isn't usually available where we stay.  One of these days I may add a roof mount dish... but too often we need to move around the external antenna to get a signal so I'll probably keep that "cable" connection for the external dish.

Good luck Arne!  I know after our last trip I started poking around at smaller units, kids are moving and I know our camping style will change.  But I as of yet I just can't find a unit that works better for us, mostly I'm used to having larger water and waste tanks then they have.  Key is to enjoy what you have and make the most of it!  Congrats on the unit.

I wouldn't worry - that really is a nice, sharp-looking rig! It's just different from what you had before, that's all. Also, look at the bright side -- less sophistication means less things to break! I think your glass is still pretty full on this one!

I so understand the 'value-engineering' bit, though. I have a bunch of upgrades in our new Coachmen gasser that are standard features (literally, the interior is the same materials as their DP lines; porcelain tile floors, all-wood cabinets, the Corian counters/tile back splash, one piece shower surround, etc. - you get the idea). However, there was no light switch in the bathroom. Seriously. I thought it was a joke! Both my mother and mother-in-law are barely 5' tall and wouldn't be able to reach the ceiling light to turn it on. Had to have one installed (which wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be to do). But still -- common, for crying out loud! No LIGHT SWITCH in the bathroom? How much $ did that that truly save the company in the long run...(and don't get me started on the window treatments. They completely cheezed there too.....). 

Anyway - just sharing your same feelings there and also sharing a laugh about it! A lot of what may bug you can be an easy fix too - so don't give up the enjoyment part! :)

Back
Top Bottom