12 Year Old Class A buy or run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drurytr

We are shopping for a RV and we were looking into 5th wheels. The only issue for us was a 5th wheel would require me to upgrade our tow vehicle and the cost of a used 5th wheel and truck were more than we were comfortable spending. Then we started looking into used class A motorhomes. I have found a 2000 American Standard by Fleetwood that we like the floor plan on and its around 60K has Cummings 315hp  diesel, gen. Looks good from the pictures. We have weighted the pros and cons of 5fifth wheel vs Class A and really think we may like Class A a Little better than a 5er.    If we did buy a 12yr old Class A then I would have it inspected; the milage is around 70K but I am thinking the engine should and drive train should be fine. Are there hidden issues I should be concerned with?  Tom

You are correct that you should not be scared of a DP with that kind of mileage.  However, the components of a 12 yr old motorhome should be inspected carefully (all ages for that matter).  First the tires.  MH tires should be replaced after 6 - 7 years regardless of tread depth, and replacing 6 motorhome tires can be expensive.  How about the generator, refer, A/C, plumbing, etc? 

One of the biggest concerns for any 12 yr old RV is leaks and associated delamination.  Check the ceilings and walls for tell-tale signs such as brown spots.  Look down the sides, external, checking for bubbles/bulges around or beneath any side wall opening. Around doors, windows, marker lights, etc.

Know also that all RVs can be tinker toys.  If you are handy and can do most of your own maintenance and the unit checks out OK, you should be alright.

Also be aware that there are RV Parks that restrict older units, usually 10  years.  This isn't all that common, but they are out there.

Once you purchase a rig remember that we are here to help!

Did you mean "Tradition" rather than "Standard", can find no references to an American Standard????????

drurytr said:
Are there hidden issues I should be concerned with?  Tom

Check into the cost of routine yearly chassis maintenance as it can be higher than you might realize.

Determine how long you have left on the tires (miles and years) and check prices of replacements.

Check that the generator has been run often and has had regular maintenance.

Check the condition of all components of the brake system and have the drums pulled if you are serious about buying.

Then check all the coach stuff, fridge, A/C, and so on, that's the same as it would be on a 5er.

I'm surprised that a used fifth-wheel and used truck upgrade costs much mnore than the 2000 DP.  They are clearly two ways to go and both have advantages.  Do you have a vehicle you can use for a toad?  Do you need to factor in that expense if you go with the motor home?

As Gary has noted, Fleetwood never made an American Standard. Their line in 2000, from bottom to top, was American Tradition, American Dream, American Eagle, and American Heritage.

We have an 2000 American Dream with about 108,000 miles on it and is barely broken in. Other than a couple of engine problems and a refer problem, it has been a great coach for us. On a coach that old I would certainly check the condition of the sealant throughout the exterior and the date code on the tires. Further checks are warranted and best done by a professional inspector.

I also do not remember any engine as low as a Cummins 315hp. I know the standard on a Dream was 325hp. Perhaps the Tradition had a 315hp engine.

I just checked the Internet and found the 37' Tradition did have a 315hp Cummins.

The key lies in what actual condition it's in; not as much in chronological age, so to speak. If it was well taken care of - great! If not, you need an honest assessment as to how big a deal it will be to get it there and if all that would even be worth it. A third party inspection would help a lot there to really take a good look at what you're dealing with.

Prior to pulling the trigger on our new gasser (which is a whole other interesting story at the moment! ::)), we also looked at many used DPs and the conditions of them were all over the map -- even ones that were only a few years old. Yet, in our travels we have seen fabulous older DPs that rival the new ones in shine, fit and finish! Last year at a campground, a 98 Country Coach comes to mind - I would have bought that one on the spot if it was for sale, it was that great!

Best of luck in your search

The 2000 American Tradition was a popular high end coach - it offered a lot of luxury features at a price well below its more upscale sister, the American Dream. There are several 2000 Tradition owners in the American Coach Owners Group on Yahoo, and I see reports of alternator replacement, leaky fuel lift pump gaskets, air suspension valve replacements, and miscellaneous things like that. All fairly typical diesel pusher chassis problems that come with age and mileage, so nothing that stands out as a problem with the coach.

Is it the 37 footer or one of the 40 foot models? I don't think $60k is a particularly good deal - that's every penny it is worth. You can probably negotiate it down somewhat.

Thanks for all the reports. We are also looking at a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endevor 40. Actually this is a bank Repo and we have subitted a bit. Who knows if we will get it or not. I very much appreciate all the help. Thanks Tom

We are on the fence on which way to go. I have a price of 70K for  a 2004 Holiday Rambler 40PDQ and I just found a 2005 Tiffin 38GH but it is more.  I am not sure if the Tiffin will be within my reach or not.  I have a RV service company willing to do the RV survey on the Holiday Rambler. Too many choices. We like the layout of both floor plans but we have been told a Tiffin is a better coach. Could be a RV owner by the weeks end. Scarry and exciting all the same time.

go for whatever floats your boat, you only live once..........  Dw and I bought a 2000 Cruise master by Georgie Boy, paid 53K for it.  I few small problems but just love it noneth less.  Had 77K miles on it, with 6 year old date coded tires.  this was last year.  I will be replacing the tires nex week. 

Thanks all for the replys. We have pretty much decied to give the Holiday Rambler Endeavor a shot. I am having a RV Service Center do a Pre-delevery-inspection and as long as that does not combe back bad we will be set.  I am sure we will have lots of questions in the future and we will be spending a lot of time here trying to find solutions. Thanks again. tom

The Tiffin isn't a better made coach than the Endeavor, but it probably has better factory support at that age.  If you aren't anywhere near Red Bay, AL, that probably isn't much of a factor.

We just bought a 14 year old Pace Arrow in great condition.  One of our concerns was tire wear, and this coach had new set all around.  We are in a learning curve at the moment about the electric "trickery" but we plan on keeping the maintenance up (fluids etc.) and enjoy the view from multiple locations.  So I say don't run, just make sure you are happy with the coach.

Back
Top Bottom