12 Year Old Class A buy or run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are starting to make offers on RV but so far no takers. We are looking at the Tiffin Pheaton 40 ft and I also like the HR Endeavor 40 PDQ. Both floor plans are very similar. So far the owners want more than NADA suggests without adding in the options. It is starting to look like we need to focus on a 2006 year or older to stay within what we are willing to spend. 

Any comments on the above are welcomed. My next concern is maintena nce. The big maintenance item I can think of is tires where I have  seen prices between 350 to 500 each so that is not trival but I do not know of other costs other than changing oil and filters that I plan on doing myself if I am home. I have seen one coach with water damage that we passed on so I am tuned in on the roof sealing problems. Tom

I recently spend many months shopping for my current RV. I found very few were priced even close to high NADA without options. I ended up paying $2k over high NADA without options and I am thrilled with my purchase. Do not let the price you pay interfere with getting the RV of your dreams. In other words I feel that satisfaction is more important than getting a bargain.

Make sure your budget can afford the ongoing maintenance of the RV you choose. Also, sit down in the driver's seat and see how you feel about driving it.

I've met a few workampers in high end RV's who can't afford to enjoy them like they planned but they can't get out from under them either due to some sort of upside down financing that I don't understand...  but apparently it's pretty common.

It's so easy to fall in love with the luxury without realizing the ongoing costs are more than just keeping the tanks filled and paying the park rent.

I would keep a chunk of cash set aside, once you  start using the RV, there may be things you want to fix, maintain,  repair, upgrade or improve upon.

RV's have a bad habit of picking your pockets clean, they seem to smell money and consume it voraciously,  the minute you get some...  ;)

drurytr said:
What type of things pop up for RV expenses?

Shortly after buying ours the brain for the hydraulic levelers went out-$1,000.00 (??).  Then the lift pump had to be replaced.  Fortunately the pump is still under Cummins warranty until Oct.  It took two different Cummins shops to diagnose & fix with a $100.00 deductible each time
not to mention the time being waylaid and one night in a motel room.
These are just 2 examples of what could go wrong.  We've had a two or three other things done to the tune of $200.00 to $300.00 each time.
Just be prepared that things will happen, and it isn't cheap, BUT we're enjoying this immensely.

A motorhome is like a truck and travel trailer all in one unit.  Anything that can go wrong with either, can and eventually will go wrong on a motorhome.  Where should we start? 

Thanks for all the inputs. I come from a boat background and a few years ago someone mentioned that boat is actually an acronym for "break out another thousand" and there was a lot of truth to that . Sounds like RVs are similar.

Boats are often defined as "a hole in the water into which you pour money". RV 's are very similar but on land.

Alfa38User said:
Boats are often defined as "a hole in the water into which you pour money". RV 's are very similar but on land.
I have heard that rather than buy a sail boat some people stand naked in a cold shower, rip up hundred dollar bills and watch them go down the drain. :D

The 'cold shower' analogy works for me (been there, done that!!!) but I guess I must have been lucky in the 35 years I sailed a smaller sailboat, the boat part was relatively cheap except for the initial purchase. The marina fees, on the other hand..... not so much!! heh,heh!!! ;D

drurytr said:
Thanks for all the inputs. I come from a boat background and a few years ago someone mentioned that boat is actually an acronym for "break out another thousand" and there was a lot of truth to that . Sounds like RVs are similar.

As a former owner of a 31' cabin cruiser, I can vouch for that.  The only difference is that boats float better.

When I was shopping for my used RV I was going to spend 100% of my budget, then I changed my mind and scaled back to 75%, saving the other 25% for "mystery maintenance".  This eliminated some units I liked but... I am glad I took this route.

Everything worked when I bought it...  but within six-eight  months and 1000 miles I had spent most of the emergency "mystery maintenance" fund to repair and get it in better shape overall.

I try to fix many things myself, but still I have to hire out some of the maintenance and repairs. I shop around for labor quotes sometimes too and will travel out of my way to go see a good repair person.  Better to have it fixed right the first time.

RV quotes on repairs, maintenance and upgrades is like spinning the wheel of fortune for a price!

It's maddening.

For instance... last year when my AC crapped out, estimates to cool me down  were $200, $900 $1200, $1400 $1700. 

Making up an annual budget on RV maintenance is a nightmare. Basically I come up with what I think I will need... then multiply by 2...  and try to set aside extra on top of that.

We are back looking at 5wheels; can anyone tell me why every Class A has a generator and most 5ers dont? The reason we started looking at 5ers is cost and what we think would be cheaper maintenance.

drurytr said:
We are back looking at 5wheels; can anyone tell me why every Class A has a generator and most 5ers dont? The reason we started looking at 5ers is cost and what we think would be cheaper maintenance.
That is a good question and one I have wondered about. I don't have the definitive answer, but I have some theories. One is price. The most expensive brand new 5er is way less than the least expensive class A, so possibly they don't put them in to keep the price lower. A generator adds a few thousand dollars to the price. Could be because of weight. Many people who buy 5ers try to tow it with an underpowered for the job truck so leaving off the gen reduces the weight. Or it could be because so many people buy class As to live in full time and need to be self contained.

I would think it would be because of the fuel storage. To have a generator, you would also have to add  a fuel tank, likely in accord with some federal guidelines and keep it filled up. Can't just jump in and run down to the local station for gas!! Propane could also be used but most 5ver's are only equipped with 1 or 2  30 lb tanks (or less) which, with all the other propane requirements, would not last too long. (The furnace, when used, is quite propane hungry).

Many trailer owners, not only 5th wheels, use portable 1K, 2K, 3k generators which are much more efficient and less noisy  than the built-in variety. That said, there are 5th wheels with factory installed built-in generators often offered as optional equipment. Others can be purchased as "Generator ready", but exactly what that means is might vary.

I think all the reasons cited above are valid and pretty much covers the why of it.

I might add that many toyhauler trailers do have generators (or at least the option for one), since they are often equipped with a fuel tank to supply the "toys" and playing with the toys often takes one away from electric power sources.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom