Re: Camping World trying to sell me RV with 7yr old tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

95pace

I am looking at an 06 Georgie Boy  Landau at Camping World and the unit has 3205 dot date on tires.I brought this to their attention as was told if they weren't cracking they had no problem with tires.I like this unit alot and hate to let a set of tires break this deal but I went through this with my current unit and it had 7yr old tires on it too.Both inside tires on rear blew out the sidewalls and these tires looked great with plenty of tread.What do you guys think?

Tell them that they must include new tires in the deal, or discount the price enough to cover a new set of tires.

I would tell them what Ned said. If they say no then go home without the unit. They will be calling you within a day or two with the tires.

Believe me all RV dealers know 7 year old tires are a problem.

It might be time to walk away from this dealer. They know those tires will fail soon. There will be other units available. I'll bet there's no way they will cover any tire that fails.

A coating of Protect-All or other tire dressing can make the outside of the tires look good.  But it does nothing for the inside deterioration.  Plan on replacing those tires one way or the other.

I have been amazed at how much money I can save by working a salesperson.  I have found that they want to move the product a lot more than I want to buy it.
Sometimes we don?t realize the power we have as a buyer. Negotiations are a lot better when we keep in mind that we are in control until we open our checkbook. The salesperson is working on your desire to purchase his product, he has honed his skill?s and will tell you what you want to hear. Keep your wallet in you pocket and let him know that you are willing to walk away.
If you work for 15-$35 an hour then why not spend an hour haggling to save 15-$3,500 ???? 

If you do get the dealer to purchase and install new tires, don't let him put cheap Chinese tires on YOUR motor home. I would give him a list of acceptable brand names; Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone/Firestone, Yokahama, Hankook, which all have good reputations. Make sure your sales agreement says the tires are to be the same size as OEM as well.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Stan

.......and make sure the "new" tires actually are if they do put them on! If they are foolish enough to tell you old ones are OK, I would make sure that mentality doesn't go the other way on a new set that's a few years old, too!

Frustrating when you're dealing with folks that put their profit margin above human safety, which is sadly becoming more and more common these days. You really have to be your own advocate. Sometimes, it's just a blatant lack of knowledge too. Last year we were trying to find a specialty size tire for an older snowmobile trailer. We found a set -- and they were 5 years old, but "new". When I started talking dot codes on the tires, the guys' eyes glazed over and they sincerely had NO idea what I was talking about. Hard to believe, but true. We got those older tires for a drastically-reduced price (we needed a temporary solution for a very short drive). An educated consumer is so necessary these days.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Aside from the tires I see a greater concern.  As previously stated all RV people know that tires degradate with age and that 6 - 7 years is the maximum safe age.  The salesperson telling you otherwise is misleading you.  Either knowingly or otherwise.  So what else is he misleading you about? ??? ??? ???

All good advice and the suggestion that somebody would put their profit before people's safety is certainly sad.  Keep in mind that a set of tires, bought by the dealer, will cost him less than a set would cost you.  Cheaper to force him to do it then to do it yourself.  The other suggestions about making sure they are decent tires and have an acceptable date code are also good.

The price ought to reflect the age of the tires, which are near the end of their useful life. They could last another couple years, but they probably will not.  There are, no doubt, other components in a 6 year old RV that are also nearing the end of their life span, and you need to figure all of that into the price you are willing to pay. If the dealer replaces everything that is old/worn, expect to pay a lot more.  That's what the price negotiation is all about.

In a way this could be a blessing in disguise. Assuming you can successfully negotiate new tires in the deal or a $ allowance you could walk away with a nice RV with new tires of your choice. If the tires were about 5 years old it would be less likely that this would work.

They may put Chinese tires on and say "have a nice day". Has anyone seen their new ad? What boat would you be in
then?
Dan

Thanks for the replies and yes I agree about the chinese tires that aint going to happen.I don't care if they are not goodyears or michelins ,just a good set of tires.I just bought a set of coopers for my pace and I love the way they drive and ride and they were only 1200.00 out the door and 3 months old when I got them.I sent the sales team  some info on dot dates and the dangers of driving on tires over 7 yrs old and shared  my experiences with the 7yr old tires that were on my pace when I bought it.A couple bad sidewall blowouts taught me a lesson quickly,at the time I new nothing about date codes either ,but when things like that happen it doesn't take long to be educated.

My bet is they will swap them with another coach, they make you happier , no money except labor and they hope the other buyer doesn't notice.

Dan2, that's why you don't pay until you complete a final walk through and verify that everything is as it should be. If not, the dealer can have a nice day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom