Whatever shall become of me and my barking dog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Toad

Hi, RV Folks,

I've already posted a few questions on this forum, and have received excellent and valuable response.    I'm selling my home to raise money to cover nursing home costs for my mom, and I am considering buying a new Redwood 36FB fifth wheel as my own residence.

My main concern is one of my two dogs tends to bark at people, dogs, or delivery trucks that go by.  This was never a problem in a house, and I praised the dog for protecting our happy home.

But, in an RV Park...what would be the possible consequences if my dog is barking too much?  I know some parks don't allow dogs, so let's assume for this discussion that I am in a park that is okay with dogs.  Will I get evicted?  Is there likely to be a more doggie friendly area of the park?  Would the management by likely to work with me to find a trailer spot a bit away from folks who might complain?

Any thoughts you have are appreciated!
:)

Robt.

If you're careful about which one you choose, a "bark collar" is a way to train your dog not to bark at each and every thing.  On my morning walks with my dog, there was a dog that used to rush the fence and bark like crazy whenever we passed by.  I never said anything to the owner about it, but someone must have, because about a week ago the dog came up to the fence in a casual manner and just stared at us.  Her owner was outside and I commented on how good his dog was being.  He explained that he got a bark collar. 

The man loves his dog dearly and so I know he would never put anything on her that would hurt her, but it did train her really fast not to bark.  These collars can be set at a level that they will not interfere with a dog's need to bark if something truly alarms the dog.

There's a dog in my neighborhood that annoys me to no end at night when I walk by its house, which I have no choice if I'm going to leave the neighborhood.  I can hear it barking even when I've walked 3 blocks away.  The owner never says a word to the dog.  It barks its head off, it growls and snarls and chases after my dog, even bit her once.  Believe me, people who have to put up with barking dogs day after day or night after night will be grateful that you care enough to do something about it  ;)

Sounds like you are in a bit of a tough spot.

I had a German shedder that had a little problem "telling the neighbors where to go" It takes work, but most dogs can be retrained. It does have a bit to do with breed, but with constant correction letting them know it is not OK you can change the behavior.

You may want to talk to a dog trainer to get a plan together and you do need a solid plan that you can stick too. Part of my training included a shock collar set to the lowest setting and they do make No Bark Collars. They give a mild correction whenever the dog barks. Don't forget whenever there is good behavior it MUST be rewarded.

I personally do not believe in inhumane treatment of any animal, but used properly a shock collar is a valuable tool. That being said, I needed to use mine very few times and delivered probably less than 10 shocks.(on the lowest setting)

I had a professional help me in training my Shepard and when we were done it was far more obedient than any police dog in my county.( I know this because I would train with them)

In the end she would bark on command and stop just as fast.

Proper training will be far better than the headaches of making others deal with your problems.

Freedom First,

It sounds like someone needs to call Animal Control or some other organization. There's no need for someones dog to bite another just because they are walking past their house. Someday that dog could really hurt either another animal or a person, especially a small child.

A bark collar could help in reducing unnecessary barking if used properly. I think consistency in its use is required until the barking ceases.

My daughter has two Maltese's that are about 2 years old.  The little runt loves to bark at nothing so they bought a bark collar and it works very well,  I have to laugh because the dog is smart enough that she barely growls and then gives a slight bark and then a louder bark to see which collar she's wearing.  It cracks me up when she's testing it.  ;D

Thank you all very much for your great info!

I didn't know there are bark collars!  These are my first dogs, so I am still learning about the dogworld.

Do you think I could get an extra bark collar for my mom?  ...she's all the time waking me up in the middle of the night yelling about some odd thing or another.

Oh...well...I guess not...
::)

I too am an animal lover and have had several dogs but........................................ I really get P.Oed when I have to listen to barking dogs.  Being parked next to an RV where the owners have gone away and left their dogs to bark is really annoying. 

If you have barking dogs that you take along please don't allow this to happen.  Be a good RVer and consider your neighbors.  Chances are they are there to enjoy peace and quiet.

Campground management will generally be knocking at your door with a list of suggested places to go if you are unable to train your dog.

Old and new dogs can and do learn good and bad habits. Work with your dogs rewarding them heavily for good behavior.

Parks are not likely to give you an out of the way place because your dogs are noisy. Their out of the way place is going to be a suggestion you move at noon.

My dog is far from perfect, but he has learned to be a good little camper.

One thing that will calm a dog down to pay attention to your every command, is loads of brisk frequent walks. This in itself is a huge treat for all but the ailing aged dogs. But even they like an outing.

I saw a workcamper with 3 dogs, 2 super healthy and 1 that was polishing off his senior years. The guy would  briskly walk the energetic dogs, then trade them off for the aged senior. He would them creep around the park at a snail's pace while senior dog  slowly made his way, his tail wagging in contentment. I never heard any of his dogs barking and I traipsed by his trailer several times a day while walking my pooch.

We are the proud "parents" of a golden retriver. When another dog starts barking, he looks at the other dog and just says "shut up". LOL I don't think he likes barking dogs either. :)

Shame on all of you who would use a shock collar!!!!! Put one on yourself and let your wife or husband shock you instead!!!!  Use the remote control spray collar. It sprays a harmless citronella mist.  Wait outside and when he barks hit the button. Otherwise spend some money and hire a trainer.

livingthedream said:
Shame on all of you who would use a shock collar!!!!! Put one on yourself and let your wife or husband shock you instead!!!!  Use the remote control spray collar. It sprays a harmless citronella mist.  Wait outside and when he barks hit the button. Otherwise spend some money and hire a trainer.

I used on a bark collar on our chocolate lab. But I put it on myself first to try it out. It certainly gets your attention but it is far from cruel. And there are worse ways to train your dog not to bark.

Wendy

You can't control a behavior you don't see/hear. A remote control is only good if you're around to make the correction.  A bark collar corrects the dog whether you are there or not (which is the point). It is far more humane than having to give your pet away because of barking. Citronella spray, IMO, is not a good option because it messes with the dog's nose, ability to breath and can get in its eyes. Try blasting yourself as you "bark" (taking a deep breath) and you'll see what I mean. I had a client do just that and she threw it away....when she could breathe normally again.  ;)

Linda
Retired dog trainer

What I did with Gordon was to leave the motorhome just like normal then sneak back and if he was barking, open the door, squirt him with plain water and say quiet. Took about 3 times before he shut up and has remained a quiet, polite dog ever since. We did try all of this with Sam, the chocolate, and none of it worked so we resorted to the bark collar after all else failed. And when my sister came to visit us in Death Valley and her Aussie barked all night, she borrowed the bark collar and he barked ONCE and never made another sound even without the collar on.

The most important thing is that you cannot stay in a campground and leave your dogs alone if they bark when you're gone. So it's something you're going to have to find a solution for.

Wendy

A little bit of management and training may eliminate the need for punishment.  When you leave the rig, close the blinds, turn on a fan, and turn on the radio/tv. 

My 3 Aussies are quite protective of their home/trailer.  As long as I reduce their exposure to triggers, barking is reduced to a minimal level.  And I do check with any neighbors to ensure that the hounds are not being obnoxious.

Waterlover hit the nail on the head for me. I want both my dogs to bark if someone knocks, I don't want them barking at every noise they hear or anything walking by.
I pull the day shades, turn on a radio or the tv to a normal level and they sleep most of the day as if they were at home. If someone knocks they bark until the knocking stops, which is fine with me.
When I am there and they start barking I give a command and then a squirt of water, works very fast. usually it is an initial bark, then they stop. Good luck.

I have "Charlie" a standard poodle and he has been through a program using a shock collar for rattlesnake avoidance.  It took 1, maybe 2, shocks to convince him he wants nothing to do with rattlesnakes.  I would much rather have him get those 2 shocks than be bitten by a rattler because he is extremely curious about everything.

Marsha~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom