Int 55 to Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin man

Would like to know what traffic is like on I55 in AM 9-10 AM to visit Chicago.  Thurs, Fri. Sat. from Leisure Lake Campground? Live in NY, familiar with rush hour traffic.. 55 looks like it dumps you at the Lake.

Any advise, suggestions, ideas?  Was planning on using mass transit from JOT.

Thanks

Jim

On weekdays, traffic can still be very slow at 9am. By 10am, it should ease off considerably. On Saturday, it is not too bad at those hours.

You can take it to Lake Shore Drive, or you can hop off on the Dan Ryan Expressway which is I90/94. Where are you headed?

Joel

Thanks the art institute, river cruise or canal cruise.. And what ever our friends from Europe want to see.

Suggestions are always welcomed. They like the arts,jazz and wine..

The Art Institute is great. Also we really enjoyed the Architectural River Cruise - leaves from right near Navy Pier (itself worth a visit).

I don't know the traffic on I-55 as we stayed in Elgin. But nothing can be worse than coming in on the Kenedy EXPWY from the NW.

9 AM should be after the worst of the rush hour, but the EXPWYs in Chicago like many big cities are always busy.

ken

Thanks Ken great info..

Still looking at mass transit fro Joliet. Staying outside Joliet place called Lake Resort

Jim:

We spend a month or so a year at Leisure Lakes as it is the closest cg to our daughter and family in Plainfield. We will be back there in late August, early September. When are you arriving?

Leaving Joliet at 9:00AM should miss rush hour.

Tin man said:
I'm sure we will  look you up.  Do you speak french?

I'm afraid two years of high school french is long forgotten. :D

You should have no problem after 9:00. Take 55 to Lake Shore Drive. Go North to the museum campus and Navy Pier. You will have no problems walking around downtown. Architecture cruises run along the river and are very good. The view of the skyline is spectacular from the museum campus.
If you decide to take the train, it will let you off downtown and then you can take public transportation (CTA buses) or taxi's to get you where you want to go.
Enjoy!!!

My $0.02 !!!!!  If you are staying outside Chicago proper, save yourself 17 headaches, 28 migraines, 42 incidents of road rage, and 94 pounds of TUMS and take the train downtown and then taxi/tourbus/walk !!!!!  I55 can be half (notice I said "half") way tolerable at times, though NOT often.........Dan Ryan is 6 lanes North and 6 lanes South at 85 MPH, especially during "work hours", Stay away from the Spaghetti Bowl unless you don't give a **** about anything, I294 will "toll" you to death about every 3 and 1/2 miles and the same for I94 through Downtown.  As IF these are NOT enough reason then I could comment on road conditions (pot holes, or I should say "road craters") and the lack of downtown parking (except for the parking garages that you have to sell your first born hold to afford)............... Is the picture getting any clearer ?????

Born, raised, and LEFT Chicago.........
Marty

Thanks Marty..

Sounds like a trip to NYC.  Mass transit works for me.. I'll play it by ear when I get to JOT. 

I remember driving out to OKC in 1977, and driving thru IND and asking trucker on the CB when was rush hour.  He told me I was in it.  I guess it's what you are used too.

By the way if you ever make the wrong turn or drive thru NYC on the Cross Bronx Expy, hope for bumper to bumper traffic.  Save your nerves and every thing that is not bolted (nailing does not help) down.

Yo Tin Man.......... I have been "fortunate" enough to drive in a lot of big cities, and one thing I have noticed is the different "habits" of the residents....... For example, in Boston they just park anywhere (literally) and go about their business ( I have seen a whole new meaning to "double parking")......... in NYC they blow their horn anytime they feel that their travel is impeded (for what ever reason)......... In Chicago, they play bumper pool with their unregistered, uninsured "rust-buckets".......... In Washington DC you can grow a beard while you wait on the entry ramp for the beltway............Catch my drift?????  I would move back to Chicago Land ONLY if Montana offered FREE land for Chicago residents and Mrs O'Leary had a herd of 17, 359 cows trained in kicking over lanterns, AND all of Daley-ticians went to visit BLOG on a long term basis!!!!!!

Living in the country, and loving lt !!!!!
Marty

Watertown? I spent a weekend there one night.  Actually spent two weeks at Drum in 72.

Chicago NYC. Nice places to visit but don't want to live there.

Been to many places food is our thing, cannot beat the big apple.. California is second but LA, PA, and I can go on and on.

Our goal is to eat,and cook fresh. Every state we go to. 

Next year will grow gills, going to Alaska..

I have driven Chicago (a lot) and made a few drives into Manhatten and IMHO there is no comparison to the two. Chicago is a much easier city to drive in. Traffic tie ups because of construction and accidents can happen anywhere but construction traffic was moving well when we left in early July.

Thanks Jeff you have giving me hope.  You are right construction and accidents hard to predict or avoid, but commuter traffic can be avoided.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom