What's that you say?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
catblaster said:
First time I heard that was from the movie Lord of the Rings. The tree shepard or Ent ,"Treebeard" called for an Ent Moot. A meeting of the Ents.

That's it.  Exactly.

loddy said:
Tom ,yes it's called a meet, I still can't work out half of what Carl typed ( sysopped what's this )

Loddy :-[

My apologies, sir.  It is inexcusable to use local argot without some explanation.  Tom has cleared up some items, allow me to try to clear others that might have puzzled a person.

Nothing would inflame the natives more than a point of grammar, ...

Grammar:  the wife of grampar.

George Bush....
The 43rd President of the USA.  Exactly how that happened is still a matter of some dispute.

Prime Ministers,
  An office in the government of the UK, considered by some as demonstrating the lengths to which people will go to get a flat in Westminster.

Guantanamo Bay.  An amazingly unpopular beach resort in eastern Cuba run by a branch of the US government.

Pronounced Veep.  Vice President, an office in the government of the USA.  Characterized by a former incumbent as the most insignificant office conceived by the mind of man.  It is the political equivalent of a 4 to 8 year stay in Gitmo.

Much the same species as in Britain.  The American variety do not wear powdered wigs and robes tho, which makes them a harder target to hit.

A sort of a North American small partridge.  In some usages, it may mean an underaged girl -- as in "San Quentin quail".

The language spoken in places like Houston, Austin, and Lubbock usually by people wearing large hats who are not Australian.

USC hoodie
  A maroon sweat shirt with an integral hood imprinted with gold lettering.  USC is a Southern California football team with an attached university.  Their symbol is the Trojan and the athletic scholarship. 

Ronald Reagan
Former movie actors union head and governor of California.

A baseball hat often displaying commercial logos, widely used by the Caterpillar Tractor Company to identify American farmers.  Now the universal emblem of American rednecks and young rock musicians and skateborders -- especially when worn backwards.

Webster Unabridged Dictionary, 3rd Ed.,
  A very large book immured on a pedestal in American libraries and secondary schools.  Rarely, if ever, actually read.

baseball bat
  Think cricket bat with a circular cross-section.  Put to the same uses as cricket bats in the game of baseball (rounders) and other informal social occassion.

republican
An opponent of monarchial government.  Capitalized it designates an opponent of Democratic governments.

To my surprise, it has become the 2nd act, or was it the 3rd, of the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony.

LOL Carl, some good ones there thar.

Loddy might correct me, but I thought the wiggies are either barristers or judges. Mr Rumpole (of The Old Bailey) comes to mind.

I give up ! it's a totally different language, even your spell checker spells things wrong.

Tom
Barristers Judges and in some special courts solicitors  wear wigs, that's from the horses mouth Estelle my partner is a justice of the peace JP ( not that I am calling her a horses mouth )

Tyre = something round and made of rubber, Tire = to work hard
Fanny= female private part,  Fanny = something you sit on  ( could be the same )
License= a permit, Licence =spelt right
Baconator = god knows
Pants= trousers, Pants= a garment worn under trousers.
Gas= petroleum spirit, Gas= something piped to all houses in the UK to cook with and heat our homes.
Petrol =? ,Petrol = what we put in a in spark ignition engine.
Everyone = everyone, Ya'll = everyone
Butt= rear end , Backside = Rear end
Hood= something to cover the motor, Bonnet= something to cover the engine
Trunk= backbit , Boot= trunk.
Fender= Bumper
Police man = a friendly person who will give directions and uphold the law. Cop= someone with an attitude and a big gun.
Stick shift = manual transmission, ( not tranny that's a van Ford Transit) Manual transmission = normal in UK

I could go on
Loddy

LOL Loddy, you've only begun to scratch the surface, but you might understand why I refer to the two 'languages' as Britlish and Amlish  :)

Thanks for the clarification on the wig folks. Interesting that JP is the same in both versions of English.

Yes Tom Amlish is totally different, the pronunciation is quite funny for us at times.

Loddy  ;D

We say that about Britlish from the other side of the Severn Bridge  ;)

Thanks Ned I'll try and remember that one. not.

Tom
have you been back to the mother land recently and seen the 2nd Severn crossing ?
Quite outstanding, but they only charge to get into Wales not out (tight lot)

Loddy

Ned said:
Close, but y'all is singular, the plural is "all y'all" or everyone :)

I don't think so.  Growing up in the oil patch with lots of oilworkers from Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas, y'all was always plural.  A contraction of you all, meaning all of you.  I'm sure there are regional differences, however. :) 

Margi

... have you been back to the mother land recently and seen the 2nd Severn crossing ?

Sure have, and it truly is an outstanding structure. BTW it's the 3rd Severn crossing; It used to scare the heck out of me going down the steep wet ramp to the ferry while sitting on the back of my old man's motorcycle.

.... but they only charge to get into Wales not out (tight lot)

LOL my version of that is 'unlike the old bridge, the money is now collected in Wales rather than England'  ;D 

Tom and Margi said:
I don't think so.  Growing up in the oil patch with lots of oilworkers from Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas, y'all was always plural.  A contraction of you all, meaning all of you.  I'm sure there are regional differences, however. :) 

Margi
Are you actually placing credence in the use of "y'all" based on oilworkers from Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas usage?  None of those even speak the same language. :)  If you want the more common usage, you'll have to go further east.  Arkansas, maybe, but certainly not Texas or Oklahoma.

Molaker said:
Are you actually placing credence in the use of "y'all" based on oilworkers from Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas usage?  None of those even speak the same language. :)  If you want the more common usage, you'll have to go further east.  Arkansas, maybe, but certainly not Texas or Oklahoma.

I'm sure you're right.  That why I referenced regional differences.  ;D

Margi

None of those even speak the same language. If you want the more common usage, you'll have to go further east

LOL Tom. The part of the UK where Loddy lives, called the West Country, uses spelling and pronounciation of 'English' words that are undecipherable to most folks in the rest of England, e.g. ..

Arrr = yes.
Oh arr = yes, I agree.
I be (or oy bee) - I am.
Scrumpy = (high alcohol content) apple cider.

Edit: A little research suggests that the 'rrr' sound is an aproximant. How's that for substitution and spelling of a word  ;D

Ned said:
Close, but y'all is singular, the plural is "all y'all" or everyone :)

My Houston/Galveston/Edwards Plateau Texas lady, Cindy, says that you is the singular -- y'all is always plural.

She also leads me to understand the use of y'alls as the possesive plural is something that only a piney-woods redneck would come up with.  All y'all as the multiple (many people) and all y'alls as the multiple possesive is too horrible for any contemplation.

Carl L said:
Houston/Galveston/Edwards Plateau Texas

Most of the oilworkers in Coalinga were from Midland/Odessa - West Texas.  As far as y'alls and all y'alls are concerned, I'm completely out of my element and will leave it to y'all to settle.  But, it's been fun!  ;D

Margi

Back
Top Bottom