Another 1 from the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuBeeDoo

Hi people,

Me and my future wife are marrying in Vegas next May and are planning to hire an RV to travel from Vegas to San Francisco. We would have 17 days in the RV.

I've heard El Monte is a good rental company? Seems to come in a little cheaper than Cruise America

I'm aware of a couple of posts involving Vegas to San Francisco trips but I'm struggling to plan a route.

We would like to visit Yellowstone along with other Parks but could do with some route advice.

Any info would be great!!

Cheers,
Stu :D

Well, two possible routes come to mind.  One is Vegas to Yellowstone NP to Glacier NP in Montana and thence to SF (2468 mi; 5? days driving).  The other is Vegas to Yellowstone to South Lake Tahoe,CA to SF (1792 mi; 3? days driving).

You specified May.  Would that be early or late?  Both of the routes would be at high altitudes in mountains.  Yellowstone Lake is at 7700 ft.  Tahoe is at 6225 ft.  South Lake Tahoe is a ski resort.    Early in May you could expect snow and cold.  As you get toward June things warm up a bit.  Check out the climate data on Yellowstone's Wikipedia entry. 

Grand Canyon and the Indian Country of Arizona and Utah are other possibilities.

Many thanks for the reply, it would be early May that we go so will check the local weather!

Had thought about Utah and Arizona, I will post up a route I plotted using Google Maps to see if its do-able  :)

One route would be Las Vegas to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.  There is an RV camp at Grand Canyon village.  Reservations advisable.  The Canyon is a world class site.  They have a good shuttle system.  It will be cool (6800 ft.) but then so will most of your route.  You need to see the Canyon thru an entire day from sunrise thru to sunset.  A full moon over the Canyon at night is worth the getting up for.

From the Canyon you could drive to Monument Valley, a national park of the Navajo Nation. The Valley is the setting for a number of classic westerns.  Stay at Gouldings RV Park and take bus tours from there to the various sites.

After that, drive southeast to Canyon de Chelly another Navajo Nation park.  You take Navajo guided tours 4-wheeling in the river deep into a Navajo settled canyon -- spectacular.  The Nation has large RV parks.  Hint: No alcohol allowed, at least outside of your RV in the Nation.

From de Chelly you could take a drive to the Petrified Forest and to Meteor Crater both of which are worth an hour or so.  Then I would head to Flagstaff, AZ for at least an overnight.  Flagstaff is a nice little town just outside the Navajo Reservation.  It is worth a day of sightseeing and it has a few more than decent restaurants.

From Flagstaff you could head south towards Phoenix on I-17 to warm up, if you need it.  There are some worthwhile 1 hour stops on the way such as Camp Verde, a frontier army post and Casa Grande a Indian ruin for two.  If you do not need warming, head straight back to Vegas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom