2013 RVFORUM QUARTZSITE RALLY - Info/Signups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, everyone. The doctor showed me some exercises to do and they are the same as the ones I had to do for the other operations. Already started. The shoulder already feels better and I'm sure it's due to the cortizone. I hope things will improve even more over the next few days. When the Doctor asked me to do what he was doing with his arms I complied. He told me I did more than he expected, after he asked my age. ;D ;D

Looking forward to all the rallies this winter and visiting with the rest of the Framily here in AZ.

Helaine - I was just wondering the other day if we'd ever see Helaine and Wally in Quartzsite again.  Was afraid you like those Oregon winters so much you wouldn't want to leave!  ::)  So glad you're coming.

Jim - Your news is really good.  Much better to have arthritis and bursitis than surgery!

ArdraF

Jim,

I will second Lorna's caution about Aleve or any of the other NSIDs including aspirin.  Most of my stomach and intestinal problems are due to NSIDs taken over a long period of time by prescription.  There are some side effects the Drs don't tell you about and in fact many do not know of them.  Usually a GI Dr. will be the only ones that know.  By the time you get to one of them it is too late!  BT, DT, got the Tee shirt!

Jim Dick said:
Thanks, everyone. The doctor showed me some exercises to do and they are the same as the ones I had to do for the other operations. Already started. The shoulder already feels better and I'm sure it's due to the cortizone. I hope things will improve even more over the next few days. When the Doctor asked me to do what he was doing with his arms I complied. He told me I did more than he expected, after he asked my age. ;D ;D

Looking forward to all the rallies this winter and visiting with the rest of the Framily here in AZ.

Up until yesterday I had sympathy for what I thought you were going to have to go through.  Now I have none! ;D  My cortisone shot did nothing for me and so they went in three weeks ago on my shoulder.  PT starts Monday.  I was hoping to suffer the pain along with you but your shot worked and you didn't require surgery.  I wasn't so lucky.  I envy you. ;) ;)  I'm still going to Q come hell or high water.

Sheltie,

Sorry about that. :) I still have some pain when reaching but it is much less now. I hope your shoulder will heal quickly. If the shot and exercises don't fix my problem sufficiently, I'll talk to my doctor when we get back to Florida in November.

See you in QZ!

Looks like the Lassens will be coming to Quartzsite this January and we may bring some long time friends with us.  They have a new to them 5 wheel and have never experienced Quartzsite.  8)

Marsha, Tim and Charlie

Bob
  Jim Logan and Claire Bilardi are planning on arriving on the 19th from CA

Ken & Sue Logan are planning for around the 23rd from AZ

Night before last the temps in the Roseville/Loomis, CA area were below freezing - which happens, but not a regular winter thing. So I looked at the temps in QZ to make myself feel better knowing that soon I would be heading that way - only to discover that the temperature overnight was 3 degrees "colder" in both Laughlin and Quartzsite. Yikes!! Am glad this super cold thing is happening now vs. January. Am looking forward to the warmth of the desert. Also, the West coast rain systems are coming in as usual back to back - whereas the sun is shining daily in Quartzsite.

We are up to 20 rig signups now - or 40 or so around the campfire. Wendy and Betty are planning the same kind of fun events as last winter so if you haven't signed up as yet -- please let us know. And this time we will be enjoying Helaine and Wally again!!

Jim Dick -- it is going to be fine seeing you and Pat again!! It's been too long since your last visit. Will look forward to some photography together as on your last visit. Still would like to see the Marabito's again, and am still hoping they will come - as well as Tom Seiler. We'll again have some great photographers attending - and am hoping more will sign up. Photo walks and talks are a great part of the RV Forum rally. Plus, Ray brings great Canon Lenses and Liza brings great chocolate chip cookies!!

Nice to see returnees signed up that came for their first time last year - that tells us something good must be happening!! I believe Henry was the first person I greeted when I arrived last year and the last one to leave after the rally had ended. Will be nice to see Henry and Margaret again. And I just added Jim and Claire to the attendee list again!

And it is nice as well to see those that will be coming for the first time to check out this Quartzsite thing that lures tens of thousands of RVers to the desert in mid-January.

For those who have not signed up as yet -- or need to know a bit more about our event, check out the links and info on the opening post on this topic. If you decide to attend let us know by posting on this topic thread, your names, home state, and when you plan to arrive.

We would like you to join us HERE . . .  :)

Bob Buchanan said:
Night before last the temps in the Roseville/Loomis, CA area were below freezing - which happens, but not a regular winter thing. So I looked at the temps in QZ to make myself feel better knowing that soon I would be heading that way - only to discover that the temperature overnight was 3 degrees "colder" in both Laughlin and Quartzsite. Yikes!! Am glad this super cold thing is happening now vs. January. Am looking forward to the warmth of the desert. Also, the West coast rain systems are coming in as usual back to back - whereas the sun is shining daily in Quartzsite.
We would like you to join us HERE . . .  :)

Bob, I live in West Natomas (across the freeway from the Arco Arena Sleep Train Arena) and I headed over Donner Pass about 6:00 a.m. this morning.  Near white out conditions and huge, huge snow flakes.....but was easy going.  On the return trip (approx. 10:30 a.m.) just west of Nyack we noticed no traffic on the east bound side.  Got down the hill a bit further and noticed that there were several tractor trailers just sitting still and spinning their tires w/chains on.  At the chain control all traffic was stopped completly.  Down in Colfax the freeway was blocked by the CHP and Sherriff and they had all traffic exiting the freeway.  Shortly after that we saw three big rig tow trucks headed up the hill so our guess is that at least two tractor trailers tangled somewhere up the hill in the east bound direction. 

You probably heard about the tractor trailer that rolled over the side, night before last, just east of Donner Pass.  Just saying that the weather and all the truck accidents are much worse this year than usual.  I just hope that it's just Dec. and that Quartzsite is at least in the 40's at night, next month.

Look forward to meeting you and some of the other members of this great forum down there.  We're really excited about it since we're completly new to RVing (came from touring motorcycles) and this will be our first gathering of any kind.  I've always heard "if you're gonna go.....go big".  :p

JCZ said:
Look forward to meeting you and some of the other members of this great forum down there.  We're really excited about it since we're completly new to RVing (came from touring motorcycles) and this will be our first gathering of any kind.  I've always heard "if you're gonna go.....go big".  :p

Quartzsite is mostly on the good side in my experience over the years attending the rally - but at times can get a bit chilly and/or windy. Last January was perfect - daily temps in the 70's low 80's. Don't recall a drop of rain. If you note the group picture - it says if all weather wise.

Yes, having lived in the Sacto area off and on since the early 60's - have trekked Donner and Echo summits tons of times in most every kinda weather. Several winters a good friend and I did either Reno, North Shore, or Tahoe every weekend -- and avoided chains every time. They "do" know how to keep the roads clear so timing is everything. Wasn't aware of the truck overturn East of Donner. Awesome road coming East off the summit but not a road one wants to roll over the side.  :(

JC, thanks for the post - we will also look forward to meeting you and Terrie. Am glad you signed up to attend.

UPDATE:  Just watched the news.  They said the eastbound lanes of I-80 were pretty much closed most of the day from 9:30 a.m. till about 2:00 p.m. due to the trucks (tractor trailers) that couldn't make it up over the top.  Terrie and I saw several of them just before we got to the where the stopped traffic was at....that were just sitting still but tires w/chains just spinning.

One of them was sort of diagonal across the two lanes of traffic and the only way the cars and pickups were getting by him was by squeezing between his front bumper and the center divide crash wall.

A big misconception that tractor trailers handle better in the snow than cars and pickups.  Maybe they do on flat land but when the grade gets to steep and they have to much weight.....they just sit and spin.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37830424@N02/8298477420/

all traffic stopped....

www.flickr.com/photos/37830424@N02/8297549585/

www.flickr.com/photos/37830424@N02/8298600562/

Sue Klinefelter and Bob Konradi back for our second go around. Will plan to arrive on the 21st as Bob wants to see the Barrett Jackson auto show in Scottsdale the week before. Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Bob, please add Rolf and Shirley Salhus (and Princess our cat) to the list coming from Apple Valley, Minnesota.  We're currently in Mesa, AZ and should be arriving there on the 19th for our 7th consecutive year (that's probably a record).  :p

rsalhus said:
for our 7th consecutive year (that's probably a record).  :p

Not even close ;)  We were also there in 1997 (our first time) that isn't in the table.  Others have even longer runs of attendance.

Attachments

• Quartzsite.PNG
    Quartzsite.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 34
Please all Bill & Raymonda Dane, should be there by the 21st,  We had planned to spend this winter in south Texas, but 3 years ago in Kingsville, Tx,while Geocaching, She was attacked by Africanized bees.  Emergancy room people stopped counting after removing 200 stingers.  It is still a painful memory , so back to Arizona.

Bill Dane    99  CC  Allure

Rolf:

We will have 8 trips to te desert this year but we are still newbies. ::)

Bob Buchanan said:
We are up to 20 rig signups now - or 40 or so around the campfire. Wendy and Betty are planning the same kind of fun events as last winter so if you haven't signed up as yet -- please let us know. And this time we will be enjoying Helaine and Wally again!!

Jim Dick -- it is going to be fine seeing you and Pat again!! It's been too long since your last visit. Will look forward to some photography together as on your last visit. Still would like to see the Marabito's again, and am still hoping they will come - as well as Tom Seiler. We'll again have some great photographers attending - and am hoping more will sign up. Photo walks and talks are a great part of the RV Forum rally. Plus, Ray brings great Canon Lenses and Liza brings great chocolate chip

Bob:

It sounds like I'm not invited with my Razr smartphone camera. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom