Towing with a Grand Cherokee diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuley

Looking for a yay or nay here.  We presently have a 2008 Grand Cherokee diesel rated to tow 7200 pounds.  I'm a bit of a fanatic as far as maintenance and car care goes.  This thing looks as good to day as the day we drove it off the lot.  I generally start looking to replace a vehicle at the three year mark.  However, I'm hoping to keep this one and eventually drive it to the wreckers.  Main reason being Chrysler is not building this vehicle any longer using the Benz engine.  This coming January they will introduce a new diesel Cherokee using a Euro diesel.  Hoping to stick with what I have so this will certainly influence any decision we make in regards to a new camper. We tow our 2008 Fleetwood HW Arcadia with the Jeep using a WDH.  Towed weight I suspect is pushing 4000 pounds.  Have never weighed it.  You would never suspect I have anything on behind me.  The torque and pulling power is unlimited. 
We are toying with the idea of perhaps upgrading to a TT.  Swore I would never do it but after going eye to eye with a Yogi this past weekend looking in our bunk screen while sleeping I'm considering moving to the dark side.  We looked at a Viewfinder V-24SD and were quite impressed with it.  There will certainly be a lot of research done prior to jumping.  If anyone wishes to jump in with a quality report please do so.  My question at this point is does anyone have any experience towing a unit such as this with a GC diesel?  The unit has a dry weight of roughly 4500 pounds.  My total loaded weight will certainly remain below 5500 pounds.  I'm not concerned at all with towed weight as I will certainly be below 80 percent of the vehicles rated capacity.  What I am concerned with is towed length.  The Cherokee is a relatively short wheel base in comparison to a pick up truck.  How will this effect towing?  The towed length is just over 26 feet compared to 19 feet with what I am presently towing.
Any responces appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom