Removing "protective" vinyl on front of MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boaterkathy

We have a type of clear vinyl on the front of the motorhome that was meant to protect it from scrapes and rock chips.  The problem is that now it looks terrible because of the scratches etc. filled with dirt. It really detracts from the look of the whole unit. I have tried many cleaners, but nothing makes it look better.I would like to take it off and either replace it or just leave the front bare for now, and eventually put a "bra" or something on if the front gets scratched, etc.
We had someone suggest a heat gun. I realize I would have to be really careful to keep it moving.  Has anyone removed this type of thing?

I would try a Hair Dryer - While a heat Gun would work, they put out much more heat and can easily damage whats underneath, not to mention burning you fingers.

I agree, be careful using a heat gun. I use one for heat shrink and think it would be too much for this. What about calling the company that installs the cover and see what they would use to remove one. They might be a lot of help with suggestions especially if they can also give you a quote to install a new one.

We were at a rally once and watched a "pro" removing one.  He used something like a hair dryer and VERY carefully removed it VERY gradually.  It looked pretty good.

ArdraF

Hmm, we bought the MH used, so don't know who installed it and what it is exactly.  Maybe I need to check with the dealer we bought it from. They might have some suggestions.  Was hoping for a cheap way to get it off.......meaning my own labor!

Ours was rough in many areas and we took it to the place that put it on and they buffed it out, didn't even know that it was doable. I called them thinking that they would have to remove and put on new but I was wrong. Looks awesome and is smooth as a babies bottom. Maybe you could look into having that done instead? Good luck with your resolve.

We just had our new rig, which has a similar protective coat, in the shop and I asked that very question of the paint shop guy. He kinda wrinkled up his nose and said it could be done but was very labor intensive. A wrinkled nose and the phrase "labor intensive" from a guy with a $100 an hour shop rate told me all I wanted to know.

If you want to test it, possibly a hair dryer might be a more delicate way to see if you can get a corner started and see how that works. A razor blade would help you end that mess without a lot of noticeable damage. It has become a popular option in the automotive body shops, too, so you may find one that can give you some information.

The hair dryer and PLASTIC razor type blades have been the accepted way to remove the stuff.  Check wil the large home supply stores and also the comercial paint stores like Sherma-Williams for the blades.

The big caution is "do not hurry", take it slow and easy and you will minimize the damage.  You may still have to re-paint the front though.

The fellow we watched remove the film did it VERY slowly as Jim said.  Think about how when you're trying to peel a label off something.  You get one corner up and then work it around very gradually. 

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom