I finally finished the Allis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigLarry

After a year and a half, it's finally done. :p

Attachments

• Allis 1.jpg
    Allis 1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Allis 2.jpg
    Allis 2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 39
  • Allis 3.jpg
    Allis 3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Allis 4.jpg
    Allis 4.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Allis 5.jpg
    Allis 5.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 49
I think it'll pull the TT real good, but at 14mph it won't be fast, and it'll be cold in the winter and hot in the summer. ;D

Looks like hours of work.  Nice job.  I am always impressed with  the  passion some folks have for some things!

Larry,

I grew up on a farm in Northeast Louisiana and my Dad's first tractor was a 1939 Allis Chalmers WC, which raplaced the mule team.  It originally ran on tractor fuel, which was low grade gasoline that was something closer to kerosene than gasoline.  He converted it to run on gasoline sometime after he got back from WW2 when gasoline was readily available again and cheap.  Then in the 50's he removed the gas tank and installed a propane tank and converted the engine to run on propane, which is how it was in the 60's when I was using it on the farm.

My Dad passed away in 2001 and my brother still lives on the old home place.  My Dad bought and used several other tractors, combines, cotton pickers and other farm equipment that came and went through the years, but he kept the old Allis Chalmers.  About 5 years ago, my brother converted the tractor back to gasoline and painted the tractor like you have done to yours.  He still uses it today to bush hog around the old home place and it still starts and runs good.  I've got some pictures of it on my other computer and can post them later, if you're interested.

They just don't build them like they used to.

Dan

Very nice, Larry :)
We had some medium-aged iron on our farm, nothing that venerable.

Nice job! Thought of you the other day and wondered what you were up to.  Glad to see that you are productive in retirement. Keep it up!

My Dad was a wheat Farmer in Kansas.  This tractor is a 1953 WD.  My Dad bought it used when it was less than a year old in 1954.  My brother and I learned to work in the fields driving this tractor.  I painted the tractor the first time and rebuilt the engine when I was in High School in the 1960's.  When my Dad retired from farming in 1985, he had an auction and this was the only tractor he kept.  He used it as his "Garden Tractor".  He spent his retirement buying and restoring all kinds of tractors and engines prior to passing away in 2002, but never restored this one.  It was too new to interest him, I guess!!

OK, I was mistaken. We had a '53 NAA Golden Jubilee with the 3 speed auxiliary transmission in the middle. :D

When I think of some of the things I have pulled with a farm tractor,  Yes, you could pull a hugh TT with one, This motor home I'm in now (13 tons) is nothing, 20 tons is very possible with a fairly small (IE: 30 HP) farm tractor (Grew up on a Ferguson TO-30 that's about 30 HP)

Of course the torque needed to pull two 16" plow points through heavy soil.. Nothing to snear at.. That is where the farm tractor shines, TORQUE, by the boat load.

Of course that is the vehicle I first learned to drive, and to back with a 2-wheel trailer so .. Like T.E. Ford, "Loaded 16 tons and what did I get".

Only it twas not #9 coal......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom