New York to LA April/May 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ecrute

Hi Everyone
We are a family of 7 heading to the USA from Perth Western Australia in April /May 2013.
Our plan so far is 8 days in Anaheim for my daughters dance group then to fly to New York. After 4 nights in New York  we hit the road in a RV.
From New York I aim to head to Washington and then Charleston West Virginia to visit my cousin.
From there I am thinking of following the US -50 to Salt Lake City and then heading to Vegas,Grand Canyon and then back to LA where we fly back to Perth.
We have 21 days in the RV and would like to know peoples experiences with travelling on the US-50.
Looking forward to hearing about peoples experiences or different route options.
Evan

I don't like your plan at all. The US is a huge country and you are planning on covering way too much ground. Of the 21 days you will be in an RV you are planning on at least 11 days of nothing but driving. Charleston WV to Salt Lake City is 1800 miles on Interstates and a lot more on 50. Most people limit themselves to 300 miles a day. So there is 6 days right there of nothing but driving. You are making a typical mistake that foreigners make when visiting the US, trying to see it all. The best thing to do is to either visit the east coast or the west coast in this trip and save the other coast for the next time you visit the US. The biggest problem you have is that there is so much to see and do here and all you will be doing is driving hurrying to get to the next spot. 50 as a cross county route would be a terrible choice. It is two lane or four lane non Interstate most of the way and would be extremely slow driving.

And another huge issue is 7 in an RV. Most RVs don't sleep 7 so you would probably have to carry a tent and sleeping bags. There are seat belt laws in this country that vary from state to state. In some states every passenger must be wearing a seat belt. Most RVs don't have 7 seats with seat belts. Six is about the maximum and four is more typical.

I second Tom's comments, as part of a 7050 mile trip, we just went from Florida to Utah virtually non stop, a distance of about 2,150 miles, mostly on Interstate Highways, and it took us over 2 weeks.  We are familiar with driving in the US, and there were only 2 of us in the RV.  We did it as we were pressed for time, and we really did little sightseeing on that leg of the trip.  Although a lot of the beauty of the US are the scenic highways, so too are the vilages, museums, side trips, etc that you won't see from either an Interstate or US 50, which we had driven the western portion over the Sierra Nevadas.

Ed

Thanks for the replys so far.
In regards to the RV I have checked out and had written confirmation that it has 7 seat belts. If I have to put in a tent as well that is not a big issue. I dont think im trying to see it all as I am limiting my self to a drive straight across rather than up down and all around. when I sat down to start planning I used self drive tours as a basis for how long I would need and how far to travel. This route is only one option. Another I am considering is from Charleston to Las Vegas via St Louis,Oklahoma city, Amarillo and Holbrook.
Being from Australia and having driven across Australia a couple of times camping along the way I am aware of long distance driving and used to driving many miles to get to a destination.
This is a one off trip to the USA and I may never be back so this is why I am seeing both sides on the one trip.
I will take your comments on board and look at different route options.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom