Ham Radio VOIP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

Anyone with an amateur radio license have any experience with ham radio voice over internet protocol??? ? Is it legal?? The ARRL article below suggests it is.? What's your view?

What about EchoLink Software,? does it work as described?

Arrl has this article on the subject:? VoIP and Amateur Radio

VA3VH

Steve  I thought about 3 weeks ago some gent came on as a new member and was asking something on that nature.  He gave his call letters and I haven't read or heard a thing since.  Possibly my memeory is completely gone.  Don't even recall anyone talking to him.

Shayne,

I don't recall the posting.  If you come across it, let me know.  I just recently learned about VoIP mode and before going further I'd like to get more insight from people who may have had some experience with it.  Are you a ham?

Steve,

Yes, I experimented with Echolink a few years ago and it worked as advertized.

One of the repeaters in upstate NY is on echolink and it is interesting to hear people from all other the world come in on two meters.

It's pretty straight forward.  Don't remember the details but it's download, apply, get some key and you're off and running.  The hardest thing was finding the volume control and getting the mike gain up high enough.

Joel

No Sir I'm not? ?Guess to dumb too many years to learn.  heck with SMoky  (?)  Not sure but maybe in addition to Joel.

In addition to EchoLink there is IRLP (ARRL repeater directory will list IRLP nodes) which also uses V/IP and works rather well.  The only problem I have heard (I've never worked IRLP or Echolink) is that some nodes are "Hotter" than others audio wise, so sometimes I hear the distant station soft and the local threatens to blow my speaker, sometimes it's the other way around.  This is operator adjustable however.

Echolink works much the same as IRLP.  I have listened to Echolink as well  Same comments

There is also straight Ham Radio from your computer... This normally requires you set up an account (Free) with the host radio node.  You will need to provide the host with your name, address, call and contact info, along with a sign on (usually your call) and password.  No call, you just listen

I'm finding it more fun to run Ham Radio from the 2nd restroom on the Motor home though :)  Yup, I put my righ where you go when you got to go so when you got to go it don'e interuppt the qso

As I understand the description of IRLP from the ARRL article, IRLP is accessed from a radio and not from a PC...right?

How secure against non ham use is Echolink from your experience?

There is also straight Ham Radio from your computer

Where's the online info?  Do they link you with 2M repeaters or HF?

Steve said:
As I understand the description of IRLP from the ARRL article, IRLP is accessed from a radio and not from a PC...right?

How secure against non ham use is Echolink from your experience?

Where's the online info?  Do they link you with 2M repeaters or HF?

Correct IRLP you access using your radio, you call on a "Local" (To you) repeater and punch in the proper DTMF tones (Touch Tone is a trade mark) and it uses VoIP to connect with another repeater not local to you , perhaps local to me (If you happen to dial up one in the Detroit area long about 10:30 tomorrow (WED) am EDST who knows, if my hand held settles down I just might hear you... It is flakey just now, and yes, I know why (I think) need to get round to it)

Echo link,  How securie depends on the host's procedures.

Personally I'd check your call against the databases, and your phone number against the phone book, and then I'd call youi on the twisted pair to be sure you are you before I authorized your account

It looks like Echolink has reasonable measures in place for identifying people.  I gather from the FAQ's on their website they did not have as stict measures in the past though.

Nevertheless it appears to be a controversial mode of operation for several reasons; but considering the state of the hobby, it may benefit from a mode that keeps it alive.

Echolink works very well and provides worldwide computer to computer or radio to radio links if an access repeater is available in your town.  IRLP is all radio in and out but there are Echolink/IRLP linking sites available so you can use a computer on IRLP too with that gateway.  Both use the Internet as the relay pipeline.  Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP).

--Steve, NO7V

Back
Top Bottom