PERSONAL SECURITY IN YOUR R.V.:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those M1 carbines weren't all that good of a fighting rifle but they are very much desired as a collectible rifle.

Lowell said:
Those M1 carbines weren't all that good of a fighting rifle but they are very much desired as a collectible rifle.

You can say a lot of bad things about the M1 carbine, bur remember they were originally designed for tankers and officers who were previously only carrying .45s and the carbine is way more accurate than that!? ;D

BTW:? Mine was made by IBM.

Al

For loading 410 shotgun shells into a pistol I think you would want to look at a 45/70 pistol.  The recoil is pretty intense but the spread is anything in front of you. LOL

A ,410 in a pistol.....

You are not only going to hit anyone and anything in front of you, but quite likely a few innocenet bystanders BEHIND you.

(Actually, that's a line from a book which I found funny when I read it)

John In Detroit said:
A ,410 in a pistol.....

You are not only going to hit anyone and anything in front of you, but quite likely a few innocenet bystanders BEHIND you.

(Actually, that's a line from a book which I found funny when I read it)

I knew the 410 fit in a .45 Long Colt, but didn't know about the .45/70. Didn't know the chamber was long enough for a fit.

Actually, the scatter depends upon the length of the barrel. I had a friend who "harvested" grouse, "camp meat" with a 410 in a .45 Long Colt. He used a pistol with a barrel of about 10 inches. Good up to something like 20 to 25 feet. (Aiming was not critical.  ;) ) I never fired that gun, with a 410 in it, but observing gave me the idea that I never wanted to. It had a pretty good kidk to it.

Now, shorten that barrel to say an inch or two, and fire it in an enclosed area - like inside an RV - and you may very well get some backscatter. This is pellets bouncing off of the Refrig - a window - the microwave - right back at you.

So, John, while your comment is funny, there is also a hazard. (I'm sure you knew that.? ;D ) I'd guess you COULD hit someone "BEHIND YOU!"

Ray D? ;D

Here's a picture of one I used to pack around in the truck. It's a shorty, but anybody that can do paperwork and pass a background check and pay a 5$ "tax" can own it. Mine was set up with a AR collapsable stock, and sights from MMC. When fired indoors, it was unpleasant at best. I also experienced what some of you were talking about, with shot coming back off the target and hitting my jacket. It's not a real concern for me, as my glasses always stopped anything close to my face. Wouldn't want to shoot it any other way though. I think the problem with most short barreled shotguns- the non NFA ones I mean- is that they come from the store to the buyer with no chokes and crappy sights. I now use a FN model, 20" with removable chokes and MMC sights. When choked full, 7 1/2's,I'm hitting all shot within 6" at 12yds. At 10ft it's half that.  A good drill is to turn and fire on 8" steel poppers half covered with a no shoot target in front. The idea is to drop the steel as fast as possible without hitting paper. At 5yds with a good set of adjustable sights and knowing where your pattern is at you can get surgical with the thing. I don't know if I'd want to try this for real, but I do know if you are going to keep a shotgun for protection you can really boost it's effectiveness by choking it tight and adding decent sights.

Here's how I carry mine:
2 rd 2 3/4" 7.5 shot in the mag
Sidesaddle 5rds 3" Brennekes

I carry two in the mag because i can leave it set for a long while without worring about the springs.
I only carry five in the sidesaddle because that sixth one interferes with my left hand.

And I'll add that frangible stuff (the Remington is all I tried)in the shotgun will penetrate a car door and a target behind it.
There is a video somebody sent me a while ago of a company called EBR. They shoot a 12ga into a watermelon and it does not penetrate the board behind it. I'm gonna have to check that out.

Attachments

• ser_shorty_big.jpg
    ser_shorty_big.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 30
I'll carry my weapons and when we are safe after some jerk try's to pull one  over on us has gone to his just reward,then I'll worry about the weapons charge

jimnbubba: I've been mulling your system over, for a while now. I am sure it will work, no matter which way the road turns.? :-\

There are many educational methods available, and we each choose our own. You are going for Experience, and that one is the best! Good luck and happy camping!? ;D

Ray D

I am going to have to agree here,  With proper training and practice, it is very possible that a firearm is the best protection money can buy.  On the other hand, I do not have what I consider to be the proper training, and thus prefer other methods.

My methods may well have the same outcome as the man with the gun (Bad guy lying in a pool of his own making) but I'd rather not publish what they are.

The very best protective device in a motor home is the gear shift.  If the neighborhood where you stop for the night does not feel "Right" use the gear shift, put it in "D" and move to a new neighborhood that feels better.

May well not stop you from being attacked. but odds are the police will get there faster.

John,

Not to be argumentative, but even the best neighborhoods are subject to crime. When you have your jacks down and hoses hooked up, you don't always have the option of moving somewhere else. Certainly picking your original landing spot is important, but not as important as having a "Plan B". I will never advocate use of any specific type of weapon (gun, slingshot, baseball bat, etc.) but, like people in Kansas, a storm cellar doesn't always provide the necessary protection one would need - just ask Dorothy and Toto ;D 

No argument at all, Simply a restatement of my closing sentence. (Some more direct)

I said: "May well not stop you from being attacked. but odds are the police will get there faster."

Which of course means "even the best neighborhoods are subject to crime."

Of course, there is that old saying "Crime does not pay"

That one is not true, If not for crime Michigan would not need state police, If not for Michigan having state police they would not have hired me as a police dispatcher, and I get paid, by the state, every month :)

Well, my Glaser Blues finally came it. Don't have a clue as to what the problem was. .38 has to be the second most popular caliber, behind .22. You'd think they'd keep it in stock.

Got extras for some really expensive target shooting. Will have to wait a few weeks. Got a medical procedure to go through next week. Have to figure out how I want to test them, anyway. Have to figure something out that will approximate an RV wall. Will report when I know something.

Ray D

I got a chance to study the package information. I feel a lot better, as it is a lot closer to what I originally thought.  They recommend Blues for warmer climate and silver for better penetration of heavy clothing in colder climates. Among other things, they claim increased stopping power, ricochet minimized, reduced recoil and over-penetration minimized. Just what I am looking for.

They also claim "complete dispersal of bullet energy into the intended target with immediate shock and trauma." That's important! Should help keep required number of shots to a minimum. Better for all concerned, including the bad guy. For the bad guy, if you can stop him in one or two shots, rather than three or four, he has a better chance of serving time. For everybody else, the less metal there is whizzing around, the better.

I would still follow standard safety rules. Hope it performs as advertised, but would not bet the farm on that.

Ray D

Back
Top Bottom