Broken Spring Shackle bolt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCPOBOb

Hi Gang.

Sunday we returned from a two week excursion to Sturgis, Yellowstone, etc. Upon putting our trailer into storage and placing the wheel chocks in place one side wouldn't fit...upon closer inspection under the trailer I discovered that the right rear spring shackle bolt was missing (assume it either broke or loosened and feel out) and the spring and worked its way into the under cover (we covered at least 250miles this way!). Luckily the only direct damage appears to be: slightly bent shackle; minor distortion of the bolt holes; likely some minor excess wear on the rear tires from improper alignment, and a minor tear where the spring entered the under cover....whew! Now I need to get the spring back into alignment and a new bolt placed into position....now for the questions -

1. I am going to get my trailer to a mechanic to inspect all my shackle bolts/mounts etc, what else should I be having them look for while they are underneath my trailer?

2. Also what would be a reasonable repair rate for replacing the one shackle (Lippert frame with welded shackle mounts) if they decide the holes are two distorted?

Back
Top Bottom