Another Day in Yellowstone N.P.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Here are some photos I took when Ron & I hiked the loop to Mystic Falls. The total trip was 3 miles with half of it up the side of a mountain. Worth the effort!

Attachments

• Fringed Gentian.jpg
    Fringed Gentian.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Goldenrod.jpg
    Goldenrod.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Little Firehole River.jpg
    Little Firehole River.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Osprey with Breakfast.JPG
    Osprey with Breakfast.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 50
  • Mystic Falls.jpg
    Mystic Falls.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Mystic Falls 2.jpg
    Mystic Falls 2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Colorful Pine.jpg
    Colorful Pine.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 34
Wonderful photos as usual Jim. I especially like the one of the fisherman in flight.

Wow!  Beautiful shots!!  Thanks for sharing.
I am hoping to take my family to YS before my son flies the nest a few years from now.  It was a destination on my first camping trip (MANY years ago!) when my parents took my sister and I cross country.  Unforgettable.

Jim, I think I caught that Osprey of yours on his way to dinner, and then bringing it home to the family.

If all goes will with DW's stress fracture, I am hoping to stop by and say hello in early Sept.

Joel

Attachments

• Hunting.jpg
    Hunting.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 30
  • On the nest.jpg
    On the nest.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 37
That nest in the Yellowstone River is occupied every single year. I often wonder if it is the same Osprey every year or if it is first come first served.

SeilerBird said:
That nest in the Yellowstone River is occupied every single year. I often wonder if it is the same Osprey every year or if it is first come first served.

I know. I have killed several hours there each of the last three years and still am not happy with any of my shots.

It is my understanding that a pair of osprey will return to the same nest, adding sticks year after year. The weight of some very old nests have been known to topple trees.

While I was there last year, I looked to my left and saw this. It is not a very crisp shot and I am having a little trouble convincing myself, but could that be a wolverine?

Joel

Attachments

• Could it Be.jpg
    Could it Be.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 38
I was wrong, once before, but that looks good for wolverine to me. Met one up close and personal, once. Once was enough. Try petting one of those sometime.  ;)

They are so darned unfriendly, I don't know how they manage to procreate!  :eek:

Ray D.  ;D

On my hike today, this little fella was hoping we would drop some crumbs for hom.

Attachments

• _MG_0722.jpg
    _MG_0722.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 37
Great Horned Owl said:
Jim, I think I caught that Osprey of yours on his way to dinner, and then bringing it home to the family.

If all goes will with DW's stress fracture, I am hoping to stop by and say hello in early Sept.

Joel

Joel,

I hope your wife's fracture heals enough that you can make the trip to Yellowstone. It would be nice to meet you both.

Great shots of the Osprey. I assume that's the nest at the North Rim Drive at Canyon. I've not been able to get a good shot there yet. Something about the wind moving the tripod. :)

Last year, when we took a wildlife watching course in Lamar, an LE Ranger reported seeing what he thought was a Wolverine in the Lamar Canyon. The instructor was going to follow up on the tracks. We have another course this summer with the same instructor and I'm going to ask if he ever found any evidence of the Wolverine.

Jim, the obvious solution is a sturdier tripod, but a quick fix is to dangle a 10 to 20 lb. weight from the center of your tripod.  Your camera bag might work well. That will significantly reduce wind induced movement.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
I know. I have killed several hours there each of the last three years and still am not happy with any of my shots.

It is my understanding that a pair of osprey will return to the same nest, adding sticks year after year. The weight of some very old nests have been known to topple trees.

While I was there last year, I looked to my left and saw this. It is not a very crisp shot and I am having a little trouble convincing myself, but could that be a wolverine?

Joel
That is a tough one to ID Joel since the photo is not very good. It doesn't look like a wolverine to me, the tail and the markings are all wrong. My best guess would be a raccoon. Most raccoons have a striped tail but not all of them have a striped tail.

Jim Dick said:
Great shots of the Osprey. I assume that's the nest at the North Rim Drive at Canyon. I've not been able to get a good shot there yet. Something about the wind moving the tripod. :)
I would recommend setting the camera to S mode and using 1/4000th of a second. No tripod needed.

Tom,

I believe I was using the 7D at the time. At 1/4000 the noise is unbearable. It is back for repair a third time!

Jim Dick said:
Tom,

I believe I was using the 7D at the time. At 1/4000 the noise is unbearable. It is back for repair a third time!
That does not make sense. 1/4000th the noise would only be a issue if you were in a dark room. Out in bright sunlight noise should not be an issue at all.

Noise is a property of high ISO. As you raise the shutter speed the ISO usually goes up. I have been doing a lot of shots at 2000th and 4000th lately because it reduces camera shake and subject movement. ISO usually ends up around 200 to 400. Noise just hasn't been an issue. Noise will be an issue however if the image is over sharpened. I am surprised you are having trouble with a 7D, it is a great camera.

Tom,

I found many people have had focus/noise problems with the 7D. Not sure what is going on but I hope they get it fixed this time. I do like the features of the 7D.

That surprises me Jim, I was not aware the 7D had noise problems. But then again I read the Sony forums every day and rarely venture into the Canon forums. I hope Canon is able to fix that for you.

Back
Top Bottom