Another Day in Yellowstone N.P.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great photos, you guys!

I found many people have had focus/noise problems with the 7D. Not sure what is going on but I hope they get it fixed this time. I do like the features of the 7D.

I've had major focus issues with my 40 D. I can spend a whole day shooting photos and not get one focused photo. I try everything. Thought it was me at first, but other photographers have tried my camera and have the same problem. Had it in the shop (Best Buy, under service plan), but it seems like they didn't even look at it. Have always assumed it was the lenses, but now am thinking it must be something in the camera body. Is that possible?

Thanks again for sharing the photos.

-Roni

tstumpf said:
Great photos, you guys!

I've had major focus issues with my 40 D. I can spend a whole day shooting photos and not get one focused photo. I try everything. Thought it was me at first, but other photographers have tried my camera and have the same problem. Had it in the shop (Best Buy, under service plan), but it seems like they didn't even look at it. Have always assumed it was the lenses, but now am thinking it must be something in the camera body. Is that possible?
-Roni
That is insane Roni. It should focus first time and every time perfectly. I have owned both a 20D and a 50D and they performed flawlessly. You can't have that many bad lenses. Has this problem existed the entire time you owned the camera? Is it the photos that are out of focus or is it what you see through the viewfinder that is out of focus? The 40D was the last DLSR Canon made before putting micro focus adjust in so it can't be that the focus adjust is off.

That is insane Roni.

I know it's insane. Everyone who's looked at it for me is dumbfounded. Many times, while looking through the view finder, you just can't get it to focus for anything. But even if it does look focused, when you take the photo, it's just garbage.

I thought it was me, as I rarely use a tripod and my hands are not that steady. But others have the same problem with it. Too bad we're not in the same area; you could straighten me out! Any plans for Minnesota this summer?

I could send you some photos, so you'd know what I'm talking about (or you could just look at my blog). I want to update my blog, but most of my photos are junk due to focus.

-Roni

I looked at your blog and I don't see anything that looks out of focus. Email me some of your worst ones. Are you shooting RAW?

No I won't be in Minnesota this summer. And I take it you won't be in California this summer.

How about Florida this winter?

I appreciate you looking at my photos. Got company coming now but will send you examples when I can. Thanks so much!

-Roni

tstumpf said:
How about Florida this winter?

I appreciate you looking at my photos. Got company coming now but will send you examples when I can. Thanks so much!

-Roni
I plan on being in Florida in February. Are you shooting in RAW?

I shoot in both RAW and jpeg usually, but when I switch to any of the auto modes, it only shoots in jpeg.

We'll be in FL November to early spring. Haven't chosen an ending date yet!

-Roni

Do you sharpen the RAW shots? If not there is your problem. All RAW shots need to be sharpened.

I have an invite from a forum member to shoot some white Tigers at his friends house and then I am going down to Disney World for a week. After that I will be in Fort Myers to go to Ding Darling, one of the best bird reserves in the country. Then off to the Keys for a bit of scuba diving. Where will you be?

Roni,

I had a slight focus problem with my 40D but Canon fixed it on the first try. It was minor compared to the 7D. Now the 40D is working well with the same lenses I use on the 7D. You should really send it back to Canon for repair if possible. I sent my 7D out a second time through a photo shop in FL. I thought it was going to Canon but it went to some other outfit. Now Canon has no record of that repair. I did provide the information when I sent it back to Canon this time.

Where will you be?

Anywhere we can..lol The only thing we're somewhat sure of is Orlando in November and Destin sometime between January and February.

You should really send it back to Canon for repair if possible.

Thanks Jim, that's probably a good idea. Can't imagine being without my camera for that long. I'm thinking I'll have to buy a new one first, huh???  ;D As you know, it never hurts to have a back up! Hmm...What should I get?

If she is shooting RAW and not sharpening then that is her problem. If she is sharpening then she should send it to Canon.

I usually shoot both a RAW and a jpeg image at the same time, but since I've not taken the time to learn processing yet, I never do anything with the RAW images.

The last time I tried to take a photo, the lens wouldn't even move on autofocus and when I tried to manual focus, nothing became clear as I tried and tried to focus.  Anyway Jim, thanks for your help and I apologize for hi jacking your post. I'm trying to learn not to do that.

Tom, thanks for your help as well. I'll try to send you some examples soon. I appreciate the help.

-Roni

tstumpf said:
I usually shoot both a RAW and a jpeg image at the same time, but since I've not taken the time to learn processing yet, I never do anything with the RAW images.

Tom, thanks for your help as well. I'll try to send you some examples soon. I appreciate the help.
Yep that is your problem. There is nothing wrong with your camera. RAW images look like they are not focused as they come out of the camera. This allows you to apply as little or as much sharpening as you wish. Send me a RAW image and I will sharpen it for you and show you what it should look like.

BTW - this is a very common problem with people shooting RAW for the first time. It happened to me too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom