We did it ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristineB

We traded our Coleman Utah pop up for a Coachmen Freedom Express 33'5"!!!  We pick it up tomorrow (Thursday) and we bring it back to our current campsite for the rest of the week! I am so excited but also sad to "move out" of our first pop up!
I'm sure I will be here LOTS to ask many, many newbie questions!
Here is my first question:  the park we are currently staying at (Oastler Lake Provincial Park in Ontario) has a sign on their water saying something like "the water is chlorinated however, because it comes from the lake, there may be some parasites that are not eliminated. Please ensure you boil water for 1 minute for drinking and food preparation".  It looks like a permanent bulletin and not something that was recently posted. The same sign is posted in all the washrooms and at all the water taps around the park.
My question is:  is it ok to put the water in our new tank (we don't drink the water from our tanks anyway)?
Thanks for your help!!

ChristineB said:
My question is:  is it ok to put the water in our new tank (we don't drink the water from our tanks anyway)?
Thanks for your help!!

Hmmmm.....I probably wouldn't.  I might fill my fresh tank and a half dozen jerry cans with water from home ( or maybe the place you're buying it from) and just be careful for the rest of my stay with my usage.  Maybe I'm being paranoid, but the word "parasite" is conjuring images I don't like. 

OH...almost forgot .....congrats!!

On further consideration, I would tend to agree with Frizlefrak, do not use that lake water!  There a widespread protozoan parasite called Giardia.  It infests surface water all over North America.  TWe have in our Sierran lakes out here in California.he Wikipedia article on the critter says,  "In the U.S. outbreaks typically occur in small water systems using inadequately treated surface water"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia

There are ultrafine filters  that can handle it, but simplest and surest prevention is to use water only from municipal water systems.  A critter like Giardia that contaminates a fresh water tank can be very hard to get rid of -- they have the nasty habit of encysting and riding out adverse conditions.

Congrads on the new RV! Yes its sad to move out of your old RV... But just wait till you move into the new one.

As for the water I wouldn't risk it. Having a camping trip ruined because of contaminated water or water you not capable of drinking really turns the relaxing trip in a bad nightmare. Short story about water. Mom and I are both sensitive to chlorinated water from the city. So typically we fill the water tank at home and no problems. We stayed 1 night in Emmett, ID getting supplies for the main camping event. I decided to reload the tank with water from Emmett, ID. I sampled the water and it didn't smell strong of chlorine or have a foul taste so I loaded the tank up. Then headed out. Needless to say the chlorine level was just strong enough it was starting to make us bother rather sick. Ended up heading home because there was no other source of water.

So now I've got two 5 gallon jugs I keep in the RV and will be filled with home water. This will be the fallback water if we run out or end up stocking with city water that we don't trust.

I know my tank is sanitized and its clean because the RV is setup in the yard and have had zero issues drink the water in the tank now. Just a little tidbit to toss out.  ;)

Chlorine doesn't make me sick, but I can't stand the odor of it.  Drink bottled water even at home.  For trips, we grab a few 1 gallon bottles from Wal-Mart to drink and make coffee with.  The campgrounds we frequent have wells, and are fine for bathing etc, but I'm particular about water taste.

That word "parasite" is still making me shiver.  And if they got a foothold in the RV tank.......

Thanks for all your help. I really, really appreciate the wisdom of experienced RVers!!  We are taking your advice and will have them fill it up at the dealership today!

Congrats on the new TT.

That change in length will sure change the way you look at campsites!!!

Our last camper (a few years ago) was a Jayco 1406 PUP pulled with a Chev Astro.  I could back it onto any site in the places we went.
With the 31' Hornet, and a 6.5' bed crew cab Ford,  Not so much. 

Enjoy the new RV and the extra space.  Not to mention the fact you will not have to set it back up at home to dry sometimes. ;D

I think you will be very happy going from the pop-up to the TT, we sure were. Even more than we expected. Prepping to go, at camp and getting back home is so much easier and quicker. You're gonna love it I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom